IGNORED

Another question

Rathis

Anyone ever homebrewed a new game for SNES on here or is the ps1 just overall easier. Is the dreamcast the easiest to homebrew for? Which system has probably the easiest programming and what language is it in?(assuming atari im probably very very wrong) What 2 languages are those(snes/ps1) programmed in final edition? Sorry just random stuff i might be wanting to get into.

Edited by Rathis

Would dreamcast be the easiest to program for? also what language can you do this and then burn a selfstarting cdi?

Or is a ps1 or ps2 easier to program for? again what language?

Sorry just got more interested in it and might actually finish a project sometime.

Edited by Rathis

Sorry been looking around was really hoping C/C#/C++ or something of that sort would be accecpted since i understand those the best...visual basics hasn't been my best friend in life. Found a couple sites but if you do have any further info from some experience would be appreciated.

The SNES has a 65816. that w/ the hardware involved makes it a PITA to work with.

If we're talking old consoles, here are the ones I think are easiest to program and why:

PC Engine: Its 6502 assembly. It sucks, but its manageable. The VRAM is friendly and easy to work with. You get lots of room to store stuff in. The only real downside is the development tools are a pile of shit. You gotta fight with the C compiler to get it to quit hating. If you're ok with just straight assembly, you can skip the dopey C Compiler. Also, theres this awesome MML compiler to make chiptunes. its straight forward and easy to work with. I made it. I highly recommend it. I'm always open to assist with it.

Sega Genesis: 68000 assembly is sexy. The platform is very C friendly (Ecco the dolphin was done in C). The only downside is the video hardware takes some skill to make presentable stuff. Its no big deal, if you know someone who does good arts. :D You mostly dither stuff to make it look OK.

MSX (specifically MSX2): Z80 assembly is so easy. You dont even need C. The hardware itself is really user friendly. The BIOS has alot of sweet built in routines making game development a ton easier. Screenmode 5 is a nice bitmapped mode to work in. Alot of great commercial games use screen 5. 16 colors on screen at a time seems limiting, but

Look at this. 16 colors and awesome FM tunes.

These are my preferred consoles. If you get into MSX1, you can also do the Colecovision. The two share similar hardware.

Atari 2600 is easier to work with now that Batari Basic exists, but without it, oh man. Get out the drugs, cause you need to be high to make the video hardware work I think.

NEWER console wise, the Xbox 360 w/ XNA is beyond easy. Dreamcast would be next in line behind it. They are both veryyyyyyy easy.

XNA uses C#.

• Like 2

Very helpful thanks for the response. Probably going to stick with the dreamcast though.

Cool cool. Its a fun system. I thought about it myself. :D

IIRC you can use the broadband adapter to send data to the dreamcast for testing. I could be wrong though, as I never actually tried it, and have only heard about it from someone else.

• Like 1

Yes infact you can send data to the dreamcast through the broadband the exact name of the connection i don't remember. This though is way to ahead of me currently but IF I DO EVER FINISH THIS its a plan for a shump/rpg where you can pick to save the world through shooting and being a badass or being the cool character that world thinks is a asshole till it saves the day. Might be what infact i make the button options called."Be a badass and save the world" "Be the cool character that everyone thinks is a asshole till you save the day". If disk space allows for both games to be on 1 cd which infact technically should. Or is that too direct/long choice selection names? Its kinda meant to be funny game incase you didn't catch on.

Edited by Rathis

Yeah the cd-r's would be best as their probably a tad faster then the broadband upload and a finished project. Broadband is for testing but that can be done on computer with a emulator.

might wanna make that a CD-RW, or you're going to have alotta coasters.

• Like 1

Yeah the cd-r's would be best as their probably a tad faster then the broadband upload and a finished project. Broadband is for testing but that can be done on computer with a emulator.

might wanna make that a CD-RW, or you're going to have alotta coasters.

CDRW doesn't work on the DC, and yes, it's a LOT of coasters, but at $10-$15 a hundred in bulk, you can afford a lot of coasters for dev work on the DC. :D