IGNORED

Different console hardware revisions having differences in performance.

mbd30

The NES, People complain about the model 2 (toploader) having such a horrible image, but it's because it actually has a better/clearer image, so all the junk the NES processes naturally actually comes to the surface more easily on the toploader.

Gameboy, specifically the DMG (as opposed to the other versions) some games process sound differently, though one of the few instances I can recall that would be easy to show would be Faceball 2k, it has some deep bass on the DMG, but on the pocket on up, it has a higher sound to it, it doesn't sound bad in either case, but majorly noticeably different.

Super Gameboy, all games actually run a hair slower on it than the other variants of Gameboy out there.

don't know if you would count this one, as they are different systems, rather than a revision, but...

PSX/PS2 When PSX games are played on the PS2, the edges of images and poligons are more noticeable on the PS2 (may be due to a cleaner picture here too)

2600/7800 despite having essentially a 2600 inside it, several 2600 games have different sound and colors when played on the 7800

Xbox, some later revisions of the original hardware are missing the original video card, and lots of games play different, and some don't play at all (also the reason we don't have good BC on the 360 )

The NES, People complain about the model 2 (toploader) having such a horrible image, but it's because it actually has a better/clearer image, so all the junk the NES processes naturally actually comes to the surface more easily on the toploader.

Gameboy, specifically the DMG (as opposed to the other versions) some games process sound differently, though one of the few instances I can recall that would be easy to show would be Faceball 2k, it has some deep bass on the DMG, but on the pocket on up, it has a higher sound to it, it doesn't sound bad in either case, but majorly noticeably different.

Super Gameboy, all games actually run a hair slower on it than the other variants of Gameboy out there.

don't know if you would count this one, as they are different systems, rather than a revision, but...

PSX/PS2 When PSX games are played on the PS2, the edges of images and poligons are more noticeable on the PS2 (may be due to a cleaner picture here too)

2600/7800 despite having essentially a 2600 inside it, several 2600 games have different sound and colors when played on the 7800

Xbox, some later revisions of the original hardware are missing the original video card, and lots of games play different, and some don't play at all (also the reason we don't have good BC on the 360 )re

What changes were made to the Xbox video? It was always an nVidia chipset as far as I know. And as far as backwards compatability issues go, the 360 uses a different CPU and GPU platform than the Xbox (IBM/ATI vs Intel/nVidia) hence the reason for "emulation".

But back on topic, I know the Neo Geo AES had a few motherboard revisions, some with daughter cards for the video. Different versions/revisions produce different video quality, from the stock output to modded consoles & vga. Neo-geo.com has more information on this.

In regards to the NES top loader issue. As I understood it the main problem with the top loader is #1 The american model only has RF out, no RCA connectors and #2 it suffers from a lot of RF interference due to poor shielding so you get a lot of vertical bands on the screen. I have both a toaster and a modded top loader and even with the video mod you still get the RF interference on the top loader. I think the famicom AV might look a bit better than it's american counterpart though. It would be interesting to see a comparison between these three models as well as a RGB modded toaster.

Speaking of the gameboy variants I know the Gameboy Color occasionally has some weird non-graphical side-effects on original gameboy games. There is a 'bug' where it will actually change certain behaviors in Final Fantasy Legend such as causing mutants to gain abilities faster, or to randomly lose half their spell uses. I haven't seen this personally but there is a list of stuff over on gamefaqs.

Also, I noticed that the sound has a higher pitch. Its really annoyiing to me. Its the reason I don't use the Super Gameboy as much as I would.

That's all because the Super Game Boy has a higher clock speed than a normal Game Boy (so everything runs slightly faster, not slower). There's a mod going around that involves replacing the clock with one from an actual Game Boy to get the proper speed though.