IGNORED

Commodore is hard!

Edit: There's also the issue of in game loading. Some times fast loaders will speed up in game loading, and some times they won't. Not sure what the difference is, but I hear JD works consistently.

From what I have read, some programs are designed to disable any cartridges, or at least any fast load routines from the cartridge port. Since Jiffy is kernel level, it isn't typically disabled by programs. I've played with some of the other carts available and it always seems like I hit something that won't load. Jiffy seems to be pretty universal. I've gotten to the point where I use Jiffy for my fast load needs and keep the Retro Replay 3.8 image selected, but with it's fastloader disabled. That way I get the speed compatibility along with the freezer and other associated utils.

Probably won't give a whole lot of speed as most of the initially loaded files are nothing more than a boot program, but anything to save some time!

Initial loading isn't such a big deal to me. On a stock system it's long enough that I can go do something else for 5 minutes and come back. You only load a game once anyway.

It's the little loading times in game that really bug me. Waiting 20-30 seconds every time you want to enter a town or start a battle, over and over and over again. That just kills gameplay. Even shaving a little off of that makes a big difference.

I just bought JiffyDos and got it installed. I was getting ready to setup my uIEC/SD and wouldn't you know it.. someone ran off with my SDHD reader. It was either the cat or my three year old.

I did play with the commands a bit. They are very nice. There's a key combination that will run the first file on the device. I figure that's so you can put a file manager there and easily execute it to run files in other directories.

There's a key combination that will run the first file on the device. I figure that's so you can put a file manager there and easily execute it to run files in other directories.

You can do that, but it's because most commercial software is set up that way. The normal command would be LOAD"*",8,1 but JD replaces that with one keystroke.