IGNORED

RKGAMES' ColecoVision Side Trak

newcoleco

No to complicate things, but throwing it out there for RK... Maybe use an original style music for the coleco-style release, and the Crazy Train for the 2nd version, make it a 'Limited edition' or something with the color case? Could help drive sales for both for collectors. :)

I guess I'm just looking from the "abandonware" perspective of "what would Coleco have done if they released the game" and looking at the authentic feel. That said, it's still your game, RK. Do as you see fit. :)

I also like the authentic feel including cart and box etc.

I hear ya! I too would like to keep the game as close to the abandonware version, which is why i'm working on an arrange mode (like in the playstation remakes of classic games, they will have original mode and arrange mode) where the arrange mode has better graphics, music ect. this way we got both versions on 1 cart. However releasing 2 carts would be interesting??!?!?!?! I'm always open to suggestions, not to mention we will need to see what collector vision says seeing that they are publishing it! My end goal is to own the game i always wanted on cart, so i'm glad either way that it's coming true, but would love to hear what others think about me putting 2 versions on the cart!

Russ

I don't know. Offering 2 different ROMs seems to me totally unnecessary... well, excepted for a shareware tactic by offering a free downloadable demo to invite people to try the game and purchase a full version.

I was accused once to create an artificial rarety when my problem was simply ressources. I have no problem about the idea of offering different cartridges or boxes because I don't consider this detail important; it's a question of taste and ressources. Some people like to get absolutely ALL the versions in existence, even label variations, which is not my case... only one good copy of a game is well enough.

Side Trak arcade doesn't have any music, just a bunch of noisy sounds... you really want to make this version too?

Edited by newcoleco

I don't know. Offering 2 different ROMs seems to me totally unnecessary...

I agree, two different ROMs is useless

Let's only use 1 ROM containing both Original & Enhanced version

I was accused once to create an artificial rarety when my problem was simply ressources. I have no problem about the idea of offering different cartridges or boxes because I don't consider this detail important; it's a question of taste and ressources. Some people like to get absolutely ALL the versions in existence, even label variations, which is not my case... only one good copy of a game is well enough.

When I'm making limited quantities, this is not about rarity, this is only about not making too much copies of a game that I suspect to not sell too well so I've not tons of copies sleeping on my shelves :)

I don't know. Offering 2 different ROMs seems to me totally unnecessary... well, excepted for a shareware tactic by offering a free downloadable demo to invite people to try the game and purchase a full version.

Side Trak arcade doesn't have any music, just a bunch of noisy sounds... you really want to make this version too?

I was planning on allowing for a music toggle with the num pad (likely the # or 0 key) but would keep the sfx intact for those who choose for no BGM. I personally love the music and think it really adds to the game!!!! I agree 2 roms would be overkill, i just wanted to see if that was something you felt was needed but it sounds like no which i'm fine with. Thanks for the input everyone!

Waouuh, i had missed that post.

@RkGames:

Nice Work, i'm looking foward for a cartridge release as well!!!

@J-F :

please J-F , do an edition with European style boxes!!!... i don't like these U-S boxes..

@Daniel :

Fantastic music! :lust: :lust:

For a European style, I may help ...

I'm going to re-release our games in CBS format for the Europe, many people ask me about that...

So why not Side Trak too ? :D

I remember complains concerning the music in GhostBlaster playing slower for PAL game systems (of course, it's 50Hz instead of 60Hz). I'm saying it here, I'm not gonna make 2 versions of the music and sounds because of the small difference of tempo.

I'm going to re-release our games in CBS format for the Europe, many people ask me about that...

I remember complains concerning the music in GhostBlaster playing slower for PAL game systems (of course, it's 50Hz instead of 60Hz). I'm saying it here, I'm not gonna make 2 versions of the music and sounds because of the small difference of tempo.

Thats make me remember that I should have said that the CBS version of our game(s) will use the same rom file(s) that we used for the NTSC release(s)

No problem, once just calibrate your tempo on PAL no problem if others version does not exists. :D :D :D

(i'm joking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpZUj4yNeME

Here is my youTube update for Side Trak's progress for the week!

Russ

Mucho cool stuff, Russ! :D

I've never played the arcade version up until now, so I'm a little confused about the gameplay: How does the player alter the tracks as the train moves along? I saw you running along in circles many times, seemingly unable to alter the junctions points when you needed to. Does this mean there's some kind of feature that limits the influence of the player on these junction points?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpZUj4yNeME

Here is my youTube update for Side Trak's progress for the week!

Russ

Mucho cool stuff, Russ! :D

I've never played the arcade version up until now, so I'm a little confused about the gameplay: How does the player alter the tracks as the train moves along? I saw you running along in circles many times, seemingly unable to alter the junctions points when you needed to. Does this mean there's some kind of feature that limits the influence of the player on these junction points?

Thanks for the kind words! I'm still coding in all the possible track switch scenarios and haven't got around to the top and bottom joystick press switches yet. that is mainly why it was so tricky trying to complete a level with only left and right working in the video. I'm going to complete all joystick trak switching by next weekend so the game should be fully playable then in that respect. after that i got to add multiple train cars for the player and then the arrange mode options.

Russ

Edited by RKGames

Thanks for the kind words! I'm still coding in all the possible track switch scenarios and haven't got around to the top and bottom joystick press switches yet. that is mainly why it was so tricky trying to complete a level with only left and right working in the video. I'm going to complete all joystick trak switching by next weekend so the game should be fully playable then in that respect. after that i got to add multiple train cars for the player and then the arrange mode options.

Okay, so the joystick controls the switches (which means there's always only four switches on the entire screen) and the joystick button controls the breaks on the train?

Edited by Pixelboy

Okay, so the joystick controls the switches (which means there's always only four switches on the entire screen) and the joystick button controls the breaks on the train?

Yes, you would use the 2 triggers to speed up and slow down the train, while using the 4 way directional (joystick) to activate the track switches. the track can be switches when the train is within 2-3 (8x8) chars from that switch, simply hold down the direction in the way you want the trak to switch and that's it. I made sure it plays like the arcade in that respect. It's weird at first but i got half-way decent at playing it. once i get the top/bottom switching to work the game will be alot more playable :) hope this helps clear up things.

Hey Russ-- Just curious, you said "speed up and slow down" on the controls. I just played this game for the first time on Mame, and it appears to be a one button game, no slow down option, just speed up-- or regular speed when not pressed. Is yours going to offer a slow-down or brake button?

and yes, this game IS pretty tough! The controls take some getting used to and I still haven't gotten past the first level!

Yep this is what I saw too. Normal train speed and "faster" train speed when button pressed.

Hey Russ-- Just curious, you said "speed up and slow down" on the controls. I just played this game for the first time on Mame, and it appears to be a one button game, no slow down option, just speed up-- or regular speed when not pressed. Is yours going to offer a slow-down or brake button?

and yes, this game IS pretty tough! The controls take some getting used to and I still haven't gotten past the first level!

A music clip and a promo for your channel RKGames (see annotation and description)!

Did you make some changes to the music Daniel? That sounds better to me.

The music currently playing in the game is like the instrumental version of Crazy Train, and the one playing in my "Crazy Train" music video is the exact same music but with the notes of the singer. I've managed to keep a free sound channel in order to totaly listen to the music while collecting passengers and gain bonus points during the game, this allowed me to make another version of the music with the (sort of) singing part.

What I've done wasn't supposed to be an exact replicat anyway, I was just inspired by an original song and make my own based on it which is very similar, even more similar if I don't focus on instrumental versions only (GhostBlaster is (sort of) the instrumental version of GhostBlaster theme song).

If you listen carefully, Crazy Train is based on sounds made by a train using a steam engine. After the "All aboard", you can hear people talking and taking place, then the symphony starts by the first slow and difficult movements of the train played by the base drum, then two notes on the guitar for the whistle introduce the train going full speed played by very quick similar notes... it's a beautiful and well made music, and I've tried to focus on these parts for the game Side Trak. Listen again to my instrumental version for the game...

Edited by newcoleco

The music currently playing in the game is like the instrumental version of Crazy Train, and the one playing in my "Crazy Train" music video is the exact same music but with the notes of the singer. I've managed to keep a free sound channel in order to totaly listen to the music while collecting passengers and gain bonus points during the game, this allowed me to make another version of the music with the (sort of) singing part.

What I've done wasn't supposed to be an exact replicat anyway, I was just inspired by an original song and make my own based on it which is very similar, even more similar if I don't focus on instrumental versions only (GhostBlaster is (sort of) the instrumental version of GhostBlaster theme song).

If you listen carefully, Crazy Train is based on sounds made by a train using a steam engine. After the "All aboard", you can hear people talking and taking place, then the symphony starts by the first slow and difficult movements of the train played by the base drum, then two notes on the guitar for the whistle introduce the train going full speed played by very quick similar notes... it's a beautiful and well made music, and I've tried to focus on these parts for the game Side Trak. Listen again to my instrumental version for the game...

I love the revised version + 1

Awesome revision of the music Dan! If you want to send over the source i can add to the game! Take care,

Russ

If you use the music version that uses all the 4 sound channels, you'll hear a lot of cuts in the singing part each time you get a new passenger, but it's totally possible to use it for the game... depending on what you consider more adequate. I personnaly think that the 3 channels version should stay for the game, and maybe use the 4 channels version for something else like the title screen. Edited by newcoleco