IGNORED

RKGAMES' ColecoVision Side Trak

newcoleco

I encourage people to try the rom on M.A.M.E

When Russ first posted about making this game, I tried the M.A.M.E version and couldn't believe how difficult it was.

I have to agree that the arcade version is insanely difficult. I couldn't even beat the first level and backed off after 20 or so tries.

Wow, this thread is going all directions... from side trak to arcade games to 3ds.

Anyway, I'm taking this opportunity to ask RK if he's gonna publish another video about CV Side Trak project, showing some progress, perhaps a release candidate. I want to see the color of this game cartridge in my collection, finaly getting this game after more than 25 years.

I'm hoping to release a new video sometime this weekend. I'm still retooling and tracking down 1 particular bug right now. I'm also trying to optimize some code here and there to make room for the nice title screen collector vision sent.

I agree with Yurkie, anyone who hasent played the mame rom should. The arcade version is a crazy hard game that sadly gets soo frustrating after a while you dont want to play. I have still never finished a level and had to rely on others to tell me what a clear level looked like.

I was thinking of having the game start easy where the enemy train does not make any track switches at first and then a few levels later it will start to make limited switches so it doesn't become impossible like the arcade. I wonder where the game would have gone if Exidy made it more easier to play? They had a game with amazing potential on their hands, maybe it would have been a bigger more popular arcade title?

That last 10% as pixelboy said is always the hardest!

Russ

I agree with Yurkie, anyone who hasent played the mame rom should. The arcade version is a crazy hard game that sadly gets soo frustrating after a while you dont want to play. I have still never finished a level and had to rely on others to tell me what a clear level looked like.

The difficulty of the arcade game is probably a big reason why Coleco never went ahead and developed this game. The poor programmer(s) that were possibly assigned to this game would have had to play the arcade game to figure out the gameplay and all the other elements as I'm sure source code wasn't provided by Exidy... just like most if not all the other arcade conversions Coleco made. After about 30 minutes they probably just threw up their arms and said, "NEXT GAME!".

The difficulty of the arcade game is probably a big reason why Coleco never went ahead and developed this game. The poor programmer(s) that were possibly assigned to this game would have had to play the arcade game to figure out the gameplay and all the other elements as I'm sure source code wasn't provided by Exidy... just like most if not all the other arcade conversions Coleco made. After about 30 minutes they probably just threw up their arms and said, "NEXT GAME!".

When Coleco did buy an Arcade liscence, the company provided an Arcade cabinet so the programmers and artist could played it, the team recorded game footage and then went to drawing and programming

So yeah, I'm also pretty sure Coleco gave up due to the high difficulty of Side Trak, that's a really good point Jim actually

Edited by retroillucid

When Coleco did buy an Arcade liscence, the company provided an Arcade cabinet so the programmers and artist could played it, the team recorded game footage and then went to drawing and programming

So yeah, I'm also pretty sure Coleco gave up due to the high difficulty of Side Trak, that's a really good point Jim actually

I would also add this...

That's why I'm considering Smurf Rescue and Tarzan the biggest Coleco creation, ok, they had the licsence but they created those games from scratch

Eric Bromley was the leader of the Smurf Rescue project, he also did created the side-scrolling concept for Smurf Rescue

Smurf Rescue was probably the first game Coleco worked on for the CV .... many think it was cosmic avenger but cosmic avenger was developed by Nuvatec (wich has done many works for Coleco)

Man I am growing impatient for this one, I hope its worth the 30yr wait LOL.

I hear ya! it's been a long long wait! I've made very good progress this week so-far on the game. I'm thinking we are only weeks away at most at this point! I work 50+ hours a week at my day job and have a wife and son, so i find myself only being able to code for 1 hour a night so it's been quite a lot of late nights!

Hope fully everyone will be happy with the end result.

Take care,

Russ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone had a good Easter! Here is a quick Update on Side Trak. I've been tracking down an truly annoying bug that is preventing me from releasing the game that causes the players train to skip tracks, this happens not too often and makes it really challenging to track down. i can play for 20+ minutes with no issue then bam. sometimes it can happen in the 1st 30 seconds of play, I've written a bunch of debug tools into the rom to catch this issue and today i think i found the issue. Anyways, I'm rewriting a good sized chunk of code from the ground up to resolve the issue once and for all. It's likely in a large chunk of on touched code from my original 2005 development that i left untouched for so long, but after some serious debugging and tracing today i think it's that code that's causing the issue. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress in the coming days! I'm already about 20% done with the rewrite of that section from this afternoon.

I'm very sorry for the delays on this release, as you can see from the youTube videos we are just about there, but i dont want to release a buggy game.

Thanks again for all the support on the project everyone!

Russ

• Like 7

Nice Easter... well, it's mostly seeing family members almost forgotten and some chocolate for me.

Don't be sorry for the delay, we all understand that the last 10% of a project like this is not only really important but can be a pain in the ass. Take your time and hope to hear from you soon.

I would also add this...

That's why I'm considering Smurf Rescue and Tarzan the biggest Coleco creation, ok, they had the licsence but they created those games from scratch

Eric Bromley was the leader of the Smurf Rescue project, he also did created the side-scrolling concept for Smurf Rescue

Smurf Rescue was probably the first game Coleco worked on for the CV .... many think it was cosmic avenger but cosmic avenger was developed by Nuvatec (wich has done many works for Coleco)

I had exchanged few mails with Steve Margison (the coder of victory , looping, Front Line and participated to other games like Time Pilot, Gorf, Slither, Dukes of Hazard). He said its company was the one who really designed the coleco hardware and the internal operating system. (under contract for coleco) and CONFIRMED that Comic Avenger was the first colecovision game developped, it was done as proof of concept for the console hardware.

Thanks everyone for the kind words on the game! I had a good 2+ hours of coding in last night and have about 50% of the switching logic rewritten from scratch! I'm already seeing some nice progress and the code is even smaller/cleaner then the original code. I'm hoping to have it all coded by the weekend so i can post a video on youTube. I found some really crazy things in the old code and i'm really glad i decided on a rewrite of that chunk of code back from 2005.

Thanks again for sticking around with me on this one!

Russ

Thanks everyone for the kind words on the game! I had a good 2+ hours of coding in last night and have about 50% of the switching logic rewritten from scratch! I'm already seeing some nice progress and the code is even smaller/cleaner then the original code. I'm hoping to have it all coded by the weekend so i can post a video on youTube. I found some really crazy things in the old code and i'm really glad i decided on a rewrite of that chunk of code back from 2005.

Thanks again for sticking around with me on this one!

Russ

Glad things are going well Russ. :)

• 3 weeks later...