IGNORED

ADAM Computer Game of the Week #06

NIAD

Dragon - The Chinese Challenge

by Reedy Software - 1989

No extra hardware requirements

The game of Dragon was inspired by the centuries old Chinese game called Mah-Jongg (other computers and consoles have versions available as well and some are called Shanghai) which requires one to clear a board of 144 strategically layered tiles by matching pairs. The tiles are laid out in a formation called "The Dragon" and it is built by mixing the tiles and placing them in stacks from one to five high.

Finding matches is made a little more difficult due to the lack of color tiles, but Dragon is still a very good rendition of Mah-Jongg/Shanghai.

This game came with a printed manual that I do not have available. If anyone out there has access to the manual, it would be greatly appreciated if you can post it here for everyone.

Works with all ADAM Emulators.

post-25956-129627412061_thumb.png

post-25956-129627412537_thumb.png

post-25956-129627413117_thumb.png

post-25956-129627414035_thumb.png

post-25956-129627414803_thumb.png

post-25956-129627415324_thumb.png

post-25956-129627415968_thumb.png

post-25956-129627416885_thumb.png

post-25956-129627417369_thumb.png

post-25956-129627417951_thumb.png

post-25956-12962741896_thumb.png

Dragon - The Chinese Challenge (1989) (Reedy Software).zip

• Like 1

Whaaaat! I LOVE Mah-Jongg! Man, I would love love love to come across a real physical copy of this!! I would be on my ADAM for hours!

What is the rarity of this game?

I need to be more tech savvy.. there has got to be a way I can play this on my ADAM.. Ive got quite a few un-opened DDP, anyone want to help me out, haha.

Thanks for posting this, Mah-Jongg is one of the few puzzle solving games I really enjoy. I used to play it ALL the time on my old ACER that came with Windows 3.1 and "BOWEP" Best of Windows Entertainment Pack which included.

Edited by jeremysart

Whaaaat! I LOVE Mah-Jongg! Man, I would love love love to come across a real physical copy of this!! I would be on my ADAM for hours!

What is the rarity of this game?

I need to be more tech savvy.. there has got to be a way I can play this on my ADAM.. Ive got quite a few un-opened DDP, anyone want to help me out, haha.

There are a few ways to transfer the disk image back to ADAM format, but this conversion process requires a few hardware items on both the ADAM as well as a PC capable of running MS-DOS or Windows versions up to XP (newer versions of Windows like Vista and 7 can't be used). Here are some options:

- A 5 1/4" ADAM Disk Drive (160K SS or 320K DS) as well as a 5 1/4" DS/DD 360K Disk Drive (not the 5 1/4" 1.2Mb Drive) on a PC DOS/Windows compatible machine. You will also need a DOS program called DCOPY, a Windows version exists that is called DCOPY32 that even works in XP, that will write the disk image supplied above back to a 5 1/4" ADAM Disk inserted in the PC 5 1/4" drive. DCOPY is the program everyone used to transfer their AAM software to disk/ddp image format for use with today's emulators.

- Direct connecting the ADAMLink 300 Baud Modem to a PC Modem and setting all parameters the same used to work back in the day to transfer files between the ADAM and PCs, but I have heard that for some reason this process doesn't work with today's PC systems. I am awaiting the arrival of my ADAMLink Modem (yes, after 27 years I have bought another 300 baud modem!) to test this process out. This would be the way to go for anyone that does not have an ADAM Disk Drive... if it still works.

- Direct connecting an ADAM Serial Interface to a PC Serial Interface, but this would require one to track down an ADAM Serial Interface Card. I never tried to do this myself and would think a null-modem cable would be required... anyone know for sure.

I would do the transfer for you, but I have yet to buy a 5 1/4" 360K Disk Drive for my old PC (at least I know the MOBO supports that drive) and am awaiting the ADAMLink Modem to test that method so...

Your best bet is to PM "adamcomputer" here on AtariAge as he has all the necessary hardware and software needed to make a Data Pack version of Dragon for you. He also has a pretty decent supply of ADAM hardware and software available for purchase and best of all, he's located not to far from you in Grand Rapids! Here are the links to his two websites:

http://ann.hollowdreams.com/

http://ann.hollowdreams.com/adamsupplies.html

Good Luck,

Jim

• Like 1

Just checked another long time ADAM mail-order company that's located in Toronto and run by Rich Clee. His site lists the disk version of Dragon with manual as available, but I know he hasn't updated the site in many years. He could easily make a Data Pack version for you to include with the disk version he has for sale if the above options don't pan out:

http://ann.hollowdreams.com/adamservices/adamsvcs.html

or the longest running ADAM mail-order company that is located in Pearland, Texas, eColeco (formerly ADAM'House):

http://www.ecoleco.com/

As far as the rarity of the game, I guess you could say all ADAM 3rd Party software is extremely rare especially since systems that come up on eBay or other places usually only include Coleco made software.

Last tidbit of interesting news for you: the maker of Dragon is Reedy Software (Jack Reedy) and he was located in Kalamazoo, MI... once again, not too far from you!

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

NIAD, Thanks a lot for taking the time to compile all of this information for me, I really appreciate it!

I do not own a disk drive for my ADAM, but I do have both low and high density disk drives on one of my old PC's; although I will probably seek the alternate route and get ahold of one of the contacts in your links.

I am definitely going to look further into the information you provided, having Dragon on the ADAM would give me a reason to boot up that machine on a daily basis; it would be great to wake up and have a cup of coffee starting the day with a game of mah-jongg on one of my favorite computers.

Again, thanks for posting about this great and otherwise forgotten treasure, and taking the time to help me out!

• 2 months later...

NIAD, Thanks a lot for taking the time to compile all of this information for me, I really appreciate it!

I do not own a disk drive for my ADAM, but I do have both low and high density disk drives on one of my old PC's; although I will probably seek the alternate route and get ahold of one of the contacts in your links.

I am definitely going to look further into the information you provided, having Dragon on the ADAM would give me a reason to boot up that machine on a daily basis; it would be great to wake up and have a cup of coffee starting the day with a game of mah-jongg on one of my favorite computers.

Again, thanks for posting about this great and otherwise forgotten treasure, and taking the time to help me out!

Hey all!

I just stumbled upon this site and this topic while googling myself! I'm Jack Reedy of REEDY SOFTWARE (Addictus, Dragon and other ADAM titles) and just had to chime in! I've not kept track of the ADAM scene for many years but it's great to see some love for my old games out there! Did I read somewhere of ADAM CON this summer in Grand Rapids? That's my town! Maybe I'll have to check it out.

-Jack Reedy

Edited by Jackzilla

Hey all!

I just stumbled upon this site and this topic while googling myself! I'm Jack Reedy of REEDY SOFTWARE (Addictus, Dragon and other ADAM titles) and just had to chime in! I've not kept track of the ADAM scene for many years but it's great to see some love for my old games out there! Did I read somewhere of ADAM CON this summer in Grand Rapids? That's my town! Maybe I'll have to check it out.

-Jack Reedy

Grand Rapids, MI?

Hey all!

-Jack Reedy

Grand Rapids, MI?

Lowell, MI to be precise (just outside GR). Someone previous mentioned K-zoo, but I think they're were confusing me with someone else (Practical Programs?).

Edited by Jackzilla

Hey all!

-Jack Reedy

Grand Rapids, MI?

Lowell, MI to be precise (just outside GR). Someone previous mentioned K-zoo, but I think they're were confusing me with someone else (Practical Programs?).

kalamazoo (K'zoo) would be even closer. Does the CV get any love at ADAM CON? I am a ColecoVision fanboy and don't even own an ADAM.

Hey all!

-Jack Reedy

HEY Jack! Great to see you on board here at AtariAge. I was hoping that by posting some of these games and mentioned the programmers that we'd eventually get lucky and they'd see there name here and decide to join in. You are actually the second such programmer that has responsed, the first being the programmer of Diablo, although he originally programmed it for the TI99 computer and then it was converted to the ADAM by another.

The next ADAMcon is scheduled for July 14-17 in Grand Rapids and is being organized by Bob. S (he goes by the name "adamcomputer" on here) and his family. I'll be shooting over there on Saturday and hopefully a good number of others who can't attend for all four days. You can get all the latest info. at Bob's site:

http://ann.hollowdreams.com/

There's been a lot going on in the ColecoVision scene since 1996 and you should checkout the following sites for some trmendous ColecoVision homebrew cart releases as well as the AtariAge Store that sells some of these titles (including a tremendous version of Spectar... yep, one of the Coleco vaporware titles):

http://www.atarimax.com

http://www.teampixelboy.com

http://www.colecovision.dk/collectorvision.htm

http://www.opcodegames.com/games.php

http://www.ccjvq.com/newcoleco/

and there are many more titles in the works, including "Side Trak"!

BTW, there is also a weekly chat held every Wednesday at 9:00pm EST. All the info is located on Bob's site.

Great to hear from you and hope to finally meet at ADAMcon.

Jim Notini

kalamazoo (K'zoo) would be even closer. Does the CV get any love at ADAM CON? I am a ColecoVision fanboy and don't even own an ADAM.

Of course the ColecoVision gets some love at ADAMcon... there's a CV built-into each and every Stand-Alone ADAM! :D

I'm planning on bringing all the homebrews that I have accumulated up to that point to show off to everyone and will also be bringing the "Heavily" modded system that I bought from you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

-Jack Reedy

Grand Rapids, MI?

JACK, you have to make an effort to come and see us this year at ADAMCON. LIke Jim told you, check out the info om my website. The hotel is on the southeast side of GR, REAL CLOSE!!!!