IGNORED

Organizing a Spokane, WA area vintage computer and gaming group

the-topdog

I'm trying to form a free group in the Spokane area that caters to classic computers like the Commodroe 64 and Apple II as well as classic gaming from the 70's 80's and early 90's. Examples of the types of systems can be seen on my website http://www.GeekVintage.com

I would like to meet once a month at a local establishment like a pizza place or the community college to discuss and show off these wonderful old systems. Highlights would be show and tell sessions... guest speakers... actual play sessions... and a buy sell trade table for people to swap their vintage games. People would be encouraged to bring their systems to show off or play during the meetings.

If this is successful, I will create a website to document the meetings and announce upcoming events.

If you are interested in joining a vintage computer and gaming group, please shoot me a pm with your email and I can add you to the emailing list to inform you of the progress and where and when the meetings will take place.

Pssst! AcousticGuitar... pssst! This means you :D

Edited by the-topdog

Ok, so far 3 people have signed up. Once we hit 10, I will set up the first meeting. I will keep everyone informed as this progresses.

Including you? :P

Maybe you should shoot for 5. :ponder:

Hmm, I have a friend or two that are into modern gaming. Maybe I'll ask them if they would be at all interested.

Ok, so far 3 people have signed up. Once we hit 10, I will set up the first meeting. I will keep everyone informed as this progresses.

Including you? :P

Maybe you should shoot for 5. :ponder:

Hmm, I have a friend or two that are into modern gaming. Maybe I'll ask them if they would be at all interested.

4 including me :D

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok now that we have 5 people interested, what weeknights are best for everyone? I suggest either Tuesday or Friday nights from 6:00pm-8:00pm.

Also, what about venue here in Spokane?

I can get a free room at the Shadle Library (preferred) or a local pizza joint. Both have power available to show off our units. The library requires any meetings to be open to the public and I am totally happy about that. I could get a free room at the downtown library, but I don't think anyone wants to pay for parking.

I kinda prefer the Shadle Library, because, no matter how cool it would be to have the meetings at a pizza parlor, I shudder to think of someone's greasy pizza fingers all over my collection.

I will plan the first one for the 2nd week in January once we all decide on our preference for night and venue.

I have a gigantic collection so we won't be wanting for topics. If anyone else has anything to present at the meetings just ley me know.

PM me with your email addresses and we can set this thing up.

• 3 weeks later...

The first meeting of the Computer And Vintage Gaming Enthusiasts of Spokane is set! The only day I could get in January where the Shadle branch library was open late was...

January 24, 2012 from 5:00pm-7:30pm

At this first meeting, I will have a Atari 2600 Vader system, a Vectrex console with carry case, a Commodore SX-64 and a Commodore 386 laptop bag.

If anyone else has something they would like to show the group, then let me know and we will make sure we have space set up.

There will be a trading table set up if you have some stuff you want to trade or sell.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Erik

• 4 weeks later...

With the exception of a kid coming in while I was setting up and sliding my SX-64 off the table lookig for "the contollers" and killing it. The meeting went pretty well for the first meeting.

Overall there were 8 or 9 people thoughout the meeting and a few lookieloos from the library looked in. One nice suprise was a man who has a vintage computer gaming and electronics shop in town that I never knew existed. We exchanged info and I hope to do some deals with him in the future. He also has another busness that clears out estates, so he runs across cool vintage electronics frequently.

We had a Vectrex high score contest, and the guy you see in the pictures in front of the Vectrex destroyed everyone's scores without breaking a sweat. He also drew some cool artwork on the boards there, which I forgot to take pictures of, but other people took pics so I will try to get a pic of the fun art.

I printed out a bunch of my Commodore SX-64 paper modles and they wer a hit. Those are a ton of fun to put on your desk.

I even brought the first fully electronic handheld game... Mattel Auto Race.

The next meeting will be on a Saturday and I found a bunch of local venues I can advertise in so it should be a much bigger turnout.

Thanks to everyone who attended our first meeting!

post-24636-0-86185500-1327516858_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-81058000-1327516863_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-39400100-1327516869_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-85238300-1327516874_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-04729400-1327516881_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-98305100-1327516887_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-75574500-1327516896_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-95569300-1327516902_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-74763000-1327516910_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-68530900-1327516915_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-95868700-1327516922_thumb.jpg

post-24636-0-41047300-1327516928_thumb.jpg

Edited by the-topdog

With the exception of a kid coming in while I was setting up and sliding my SX-64 off the table lookig for "the contollers" and killing it.

:o

Really? Did he or his father offer to pay for the damages at least? :mad:

Nope... he was like 8. While I was trying to see if it was damaged, he just wandered back out to the library. :( I didn't want to go running after him and leave all my equipment unattended.

Edited by the-topdog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

There were not enough people in the Spokane area to maintain the group. Only 2 or 3 of us so it went the way of the Dodo Bird. I've been collecting in an effort to start a Vintage Technology Museum in the Spokane area, but didn't get the grant because they say Spokane doesn't have enough tourist traffic for sustainability and "Spokane is not a destination location." So basically, since I'm not in Seattle, it was a no go.

I'm actually thinking about liquidating my collection now that my dream is dashed.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...