IGNORED

Why buy a 7800 when you already have 2600?

Dionysius

Hi, i am really interested in buying a 7800, and i already got a 2600. But now i've seen some games on youtube, it all looks like 'upgraded 2600 games'. I've got a Snes also and i hoped the 7800 would have some more rpg like games or games with more 'depth', but i haven't seen any yet. So my question is, why should i also buy a 7800?

Gr.

If you want to try before you buy and you are a Windows user then download ProSystem 1.3e (search the forums for the link) and have a go with the ROMs that are available in the 7800 rarity guide here. There are also binaries for the homebrew games available in either this forum or the Homebrew forum.

So, 7800 is like a 2600, but then upgraded?

Correct! It is backwards compatible with the 2600 games but when its in 7800 mode it has a different graphics chip, more RAM and support for dual button controllers.

I already own 3 2600's and i won't sell them, somehow i am very attracted to the 7800. The games presented in de rarity guide, are those all original games for the 7800?

Most of the games are original in the rarity guide. If you see a H in the rarity column it means its a homebrew game and P means its a prototype. When the AA store comes back you can purchase a selection of 7800 homebrew games. If you want original games then its either ebay or the AA marketplace (or other regional online markets).

The reason to buy a 7800 if you already have a 2600 is to play the nicer original games for it (such as Asteroids, Dig-Dug, Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man, Pole Position II, and Xevious) and so you can add on the forthcoming 7800 XM from Legacy Engineering and then get the great homebrews that will undoubtedly be coming out for that machine.

Why do I think there will be great homebrews coming out for it? Well, it'll represent a pretty decent market for homebrews. Initially, there will be perhaps 200+ dedicated, enthusiastic users who will be eager for new content to run on their shiny new expansion modules. We've already seen that several talented people have been attracted to developing for the XM, so I'm confident that there will be some great new games to play on it.

• Like 2

Okay, are there many of you who own a 2600 AND a 7800?? (i don't want to sell my 2600 ;) ...)

About homebrew games, this question is about the 2600 as 7800: Do i need to modify or adjust hardware to get acces to homebrew games?

Gr.

No you don't.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I used my 2600 it was so long ago, I just play all the games on my 7800.

• Like 1

About homebrew games, this question is about the 2600 as 7800: Do i need to modify or adjust hardware to get acces to homebrew games?

Homebrew games are just like any other cart. You just plug it in and enjoy. However, a very small percentage of machines might have a problem with them (its still unknown as to why). In which case, just contact Albert (AA site and store owner) or the author in question (if you pre-ordered an new game) and they'll help you out.

• Like 1

I have 4 or 5 2600's, Sears Heavy sixer, PAL heavy sixer, a 128-in-1 clone etc etc and two 7800s (PAL SCART and s-video NTSC)

I can't honestly remember the last time I used a 2600, but the 7800 is always plugged in and ready to go

it all looks like 'upgraded 2600 games'.

I made this 'fake' commercial a few years ago. Check it out.

i hoped the 7800 would have some more rpg like games or games with more 'depth', but i haven't seen any yet.

On the RPG front, they don't really exist. It's been something that has been talked about on the Homebrew side for a while but nothing has been released so far.

As for 'more depth', a lot of longer games tended to come out in 1989 and 1990. Check out:

Midnight Mutants

Commando

Scrapyard Dog

Ikari Warriors

Alien Brigade

Double Dragon

Dark Chambers

Fatal Run

Basketbrawl

• Like 2

The 7800 has a decent enough library of ports to make it worth having. That it plays 2600 carts (mostly!) is icing on the cake for many collectors.

There are effectively three reasons I still have a 2600 hooked up though... it's a Heavy Sixer, so it actually gives rich color, and I have copies of Robot Tank and Decathlon that do NOT work on my particular 7800.

• Like 1

I debated for years about buyin a 7800. I start going through the catalog of games for it and there is some good games for that system. The homebrews what sold me finally on that system. After I got my 7800 the first game I bought was the pacman collection and pacman jr. I also have three 2600 systems 2 sixers and one jr. Im waiting for my XM when I heard about that I had to have it. Only draw back to the 7800 are the controllers im finally gonna buy PAL controllers which if you buy a 7800 get a set. I think a lot of people will agree with me on that.

Robrotron and ballblazer are not 2600 games and are good reasons to get a 7800 if you don't a Atari 5200. Food is one the big titles get for the Atari 7800 and is not a 2600 game.

The Atari 2600 does not a version of homebrew games of Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, Super Pac-man, Failsafe, and Pac-man Collection.

While the Atari 2600 has Ikari Warriors, commando, Double Dragon, Rampage, Xenophobe, the 7800 versions are closer to the arcade than 2600 is despite how block Double Dragon looks.

The 7800 also has nes style games in Fatal Run, Midnight Mutants, and other games DracIsBack mentioned.

The 7800 is getting an expansion module and that is a good reason to get a 7800. The 7800 expansion module will allow more 2600 games be compatible. The expansion module is able to do things that 2600 is not capable of. The expansion module has sound that is way better than the 2600 and 7800 without the expansion module. The module also would allow you to save you high score and has even more memory than the 7800 does. From a game stand point, it will bring games than more advanced than the 2600 could do well. There are games being worked on the 7800 expansion module currently.

Edited by 8th lutz

The 7800 in my opinion is THE retro arcade machine. Period! You have a small but very excellent library of 7800 games, can play (most) 2600 games and have many decent homebrews and some unreleased games, too! The games that "look" better usually play better on the 7800 (Mario Bros. being maybe an exception). At least the games which support 2 fire buttons. Sure the sound is a weak point of the system, but in general it is acceptable, anyway... buy a 7800 and you will never regret it! It still is the game system I most play with. But be careful, it is very addictive!

• Like 1

Okay, okay...i am buying one :D... What is a normal price for a 7800??? I already got some 7800 controllers i guess...i got 2 'control pads' with two buttons, all PAL i guess. I got also 2 philips joysticks with two buttons (look like the atari 2600, but then in grey) and i already got one 2 button joystick which has de atari 2600 jr rainbow on it...

Gr.

Both, the "PAL" control-pads (cx-78) and the 2 button "ProLine" joysticks will work well with the 7800. I prefer the cx-78 over any other Atari joystick and 2-button games like double dragon will work like a charm with them.

I don't know where you live, here in Germany, you get a good working 7800 with some games for around 30-40 Euros. Sure you could spend about twice money if you want a boxed one in MINT condition... If you buy from a retro dealer, the price will be about 60-80 EUR including 1 year warranty.

Good luck ;)