IGNORED

4 port system that uses regular switchbox

phuzzed

I've been going through some dead/sick 5200 systems, and I uncovered a 5200 4 port system that doesn't use the special automatic switchbox that I'm used to seeing on other 4 port systems. This board appears to have been reworked, but the bottom part of the case was manufactured to have a power jack there. That is, the hole that you see for the power jack was not cut out by someone. It was molded that way.

Also, the sticker on the bottom of the system says "Atari Corporation". All of the other systems I have say "Atari, Inc". What's that about?

So, the question is: Did Atari Corp rework some of the 4-port inventory? I don't know if you can clearly see it in the photos, but you can see where they removed the normal 4-port RF cable, as you can see something was soldered in it's place at one point. If they did rework the system, how common/rare are these?

I'm very confused about this, and would welcome someone to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks!

post-3153-129652963068_thumb.jpg

post-3153-129652964018_thumb.jpg

post-3153-129652965018_thumb.jpg

post-3153-129652966115_thumb.jpg

post-3153-129652967678_thumb.jpg

Great! Thanks for the link! I was totally unware that Atari did this. Everytime I think I know everything about the 5200 consoles, something like this comes up.

I read the post, and from what I have gathered, it was possibly sent into Atari for repairs and they sent it back modified? Am I missing something? Is that why the bottom case now says "Atari Corp" instead of "Atari Inc", as shown in the original photos?

Also, how common/uncommon are these?

I attached a few more pics of the motherboard. Not really much to show other than it's a four port system, with a modified power jack. Note that the power jack is on a small metal bracket and screwed into the motherboard. It's a very clean modification. The bottom part of the case is clearly from a 2 port, as the hole for the power jack is molded that way. It wasn't cut or drilled out.

If you desire more picture, I'll be glad to take them.

Other question: Will this unit use the 2600/VCS adapter? It is my understanding that there has to be an asterick (*) in the serial number in order for it to be compatible. I do not see an asterick (*) in the serial number anywhere.

post-3153-129659913747_thumb.jpg

post-3153-129659914658_thumb.jpg

post-3153-129659915788_thumb.jpg

post-3153-129659927399_thumb.jpg

In my case, we had a 5200 that stopped working somewhere around 1987/88. My stepfather got on the phone with Atari and somehow managed to get them to agree to a repair. We sent in our old one and a few weeks later received a unit with the same power mod as the one you have (including the same tiny-gauge wire soldered to the power jack). I honestly don't know if it was the same 5200 that we sent in, or if it was a new unit. I was in 5th grade at the time, and I was just happy to have my 5200 back again.

Edited by FABombjoy

It's an interesting find. This particular unit had a problem with the power switch and I got it fixed this evening. It's works great!

It would be great if there was an entry in the FAQ section of the 5200 about these. I would really like to know how common/uncommon these systems are.

I just checked the part number and this is a modified version of the original 4port motherboard not the revised 4port motherboard. It likely has the fix for the 2600 adapter but I would need to see pictures without the RF shielding to tell for sure.

Mitch

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...