IGNORED

ColecoVision System Refurbish with composite A/V mod

Yurkie

Thanks for posting about Jim speaking about me at AdamCon.

He is a great guy, and very supportive of the entire ColecoVision community. One of the best AtariAge members IMO.

Thanks Yurkie. Whatever I can do to promote all your tremendous efforts in the CV Community I will... it comes very easy when talking about a stand-up guy like yourself who has done so much for all us ColecoVision fanatics. I hope to one day be able to meet you in person and crack open a few cold ones while shooting the s**t about anything and everything, especially our favorite pasttime... Baseball! Nah, just kidding, ColecoVision!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my colecovision modded by Yurkie with the works. I'm extremely happy with the services that he provides. The communication was great, and the end result was much better. My colecovision is super clean, the controllers feel great and the skipped bios and pause buttons are welcome editions to the coleco. Thanks again for the amazing work, Yurkie!

I got the full mod done on my coleco by yurkie last week. Got it done super fast and did a great job. He takes pride in all that he does down to every little detail. I especially love the pause botton. I have used it many times and it looks like thats how they made them right out of the factory. So if your going to have him mod your coleco and are on the fence about the pause switch... get it done, youll be happy you did.

I just wanted to add something about the durability of Yurkie's work.

I have now had my modded CV and controllers for about 1 year. After heavy use for one year, everything is still running like new.

Controllers are tight, no power switch issues, and the colors are crisp and bright. I may have to get another one modded, because if this one broke....I'd be lost. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add my 2 cents here. I recently received my CV from Yurkie modded with AV cables as well as the Ball Knob/Straightened cord combo and I have to say that I couldn't be happier. His work is absolutely top notch. You'd think that this was how Coleco envisioned the system to be. If you're thinking about getting into the CV definitely send Yurkie a PM.

Thanks and cheers.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

ColecoVision System in Marketplace for $139. If purchased today $20 off only $119 plus shipping. Price reverts back to $139 if not sold today.

Yurkie, I really can't put into words what a fine job you do. You modded my ColecoVision a few months ago and I am very pleased with the results. And the return time was amazingly quick. I will always recommend you to anyone that needs a CV fixed. Your the man!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got my second set of refurbed and modded controllers back from Yurkie. I already have a set, but needed a backup set, just in case.

As always, he was great to work with. Great communication, and the turnaround time was just about a week.

We worked out a great deal, and I'm more then happy with the results.

PM him if you need any CV work done. He's very direct with what he wants, and willing to make a deal.

Go ahead. Get that CV work done. You know you want to.......

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my a/v modded Colecovision console from Yurkie and it's awesome! The picture is crystal clear and bright and the system is incredibly reliable.

In fact, i'm sending him my glitchy system that's needed a good tune-up for years, plus that a/v mod!

Great work by Yurkie, thanks for renewing my love for the Colecovision!

I just received my Refurbished/Modded Colecovision from Yurkie.

I feel compelled to post an honest, detailed reply, about what I think.

To prematurely summarize, IT ROCKS!!! Read on, and I'll tell you why.

I never had a Colecovison "back in the day," but I had a "rich" friend who did, and I really have fond memories of the system. I'm talking about pre-crash days, so it's a long time ago (1982/83 and I was young). However, I have fond memories of it, as it was the most arcade-like of its day.

Last year, I bought a used one, which came with the Atarimax 128-in-1 loadable Multicart. I was impressed with the Atarimax cart, but the CV system, not quite as much. I just had trouble with the controllers. I've never been a huge fan of the side-button fire controllers, which started (for me) with the Intellivision. Then, CV, then, Atari 5200 (can't stand anything (NOTHING) about those controllers), then Atari 7800. But I thought the CV got the side buttons about as good as they could be done. THE LITTLE SILVER DISC/STICK WAS THE PROBLEM. Oh how I couldn't stand it! I could hardly fit my fat-ass clumsy hand on the thing. Also, the damn coily "telephone" cord was tugging, fighting me the whole time. But mostly, I could barely grip the flat disc at the top of the short joystick - it sucked so bad, I just realized I wasn't going to play. Also, lame-ass RF. Also, with the multi-cart, long wait when changing games, as forced to sit through the CV welcome screen.

I debated sending it in, but just sold it. I kept it in the back of my mind that I really wanted a Yurkie system - with the ball mod, straightened cords.

Well, this week, I finally got it! How glorious it is! I can honestly say this:

(1) With the ball mod (instead of that lame flat disc on top of the joystick) , ergonomics are through the roof!! For the first time, I'm actually able to ENJOY playing CV, and I don't mind the controller!! Wow! Who knew?

(2) With the straightened cord, there's no tugging at the controller, constantly. I had figured that with the straightened cord, I wouldn't be able to store the controllers back in their original place, but you'll see the pics in a minute.

(3) With the composite mod, no more lame-ass-crackly/wavy RF. I know some blowhards like to pretend like this is "authenticity" (a sh*tty picture) but what I'm interested in is seeing WHAT THE HARDARE IS CAPABLE OF and NOT what it is capable of when handicapped through crap RF technology. In 1982, RF was the best my TV would do, so I did my best with systems that did it. In 2011 (give or take 20 years) my TV can do MUCH, MUCH better, and it turns out, so can my console, if modded by an expert. I'm all for "purism" in the experience, but my interpretation of that is that "purism" lies in what the hardware is capable of, not what it is constrained to, by 1982 standards.

(4) I bought a brand new Atarimax SD card flashcart, just for this Yurkie system. It's not free either, but it's for the one CV I'll actually play. I sat in Finance class this morning, thinking about playing CV and not listening!!

(5) Should you choose to invest in a flashcart, you'll TRULY appreciate the skip-intro-BIOS mod. This means, instead of several seconds of "Colecovision" bullshit on the screen, you just hit "fire" and it blazes on.

(6) I haven't played enough to need the PAUSE mod yet, but I tried it, it's flawless, and it looks great! What a fantastic choice for a button/rocker switch! Icing on the cake.

And now, my own amateur pics.... (click to enlarge)

First, the Atarimax SD cart (awesome):

post-16281-0-43445500-1319167700_thumb.jpg

post-16281-0-28427700-1319167704_thumb.jpg

Now, the BEAUTIFUL Colecovision!!!

post-16281-0-95875600-1319167707_thumb.jpg

Ball-knob modded controllers, sitting in the stock location!

post-16281-0-39424900-1319167774_thumb.jpg

Here's why - bcause there's penty of room for the new, straightened cords!

post-16281-0-74666300-1319167783_thumb.jpg

Unobtrusive A/V port.....

post-16281-0-79100700-1319167787_thumb.jpg

...and the included cable that it requires.....

post-16281-0-64040900-1319167791_thumb.jpg

Pause button - that looks FACTORY!

post-16281-0-26044100-1319167741_thumb.jpg

...and finally, the big-ass CV power supply, clean and mint.....

post-16281-0-83053800-1319167796_thumb.jpg

This, and the Atarimax cart cost significanly more than the Xbox 360 I keep thinking I'll get one day. They'll keep making those. Maybe not these. Get yours today- YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED, IF THIS SKEPTIC ISN'T!! Bravo, Yurkie! Wish I could get a spare/backup!!!

• Like 1

I couldn't agree with you more, Wood!

I received my Yurkie refurb yesterday and as I was opening the box, I found myself just as excited as when I first bought a Colecovision many years ago and was pop'ing open that box for the first time.

The system and components were packaged beautifully and as I pulled the console out of its bubblewrap, the first thing I noticed was that it looked like it was brand new. All of the mod's that Yukie had performed looked like they were originally designed and installed into the console as it rolled down an assembly line.

I hooked the system up and was ECSTATIC when the opening screen for Oil's Well came up. The pause button works flawlessly, the picture was crisp and clear, and I was in gaming nirvana.

I can't recommend Yurkie's refurb's or craftsmanship highly enough.

Thank You, Yurkie!!

Mendon

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to give a shout out to Yurkie as well. I ordered a modded system from him and everything worked and looked great. This is my first Colecovision but I had an ADAM twenty some years ago. I've ordered an AtariMax multi-cart and I'm looking forward to giving the Colecovision a good workout. Thanks Yurkie. You're highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

I mailed Yurkie my original Colecovision from 1982...it was on its last legs...he fixed the video, the power, added AV, updated the controllers and cleaned the system...it took less than a week to mail out and get back...it works better than new...his work is brillant and very much appreciated! Thanks my friend!

Scott

• 4 weeks later...

Feel free to contact me and ship your system(s) to be refurbished/modded, however I am not going to do any work until December 26th. I was super busy the last 6 or 8 weeks and am taking a break. My sincere thanks to all those that sent systems for work and those that purchased systems.

Merry Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Yurkie, I need to talk to you at some point. My one console has the upgrades you offer - the AV mod and the fast bios. A AtariMax 128-in-1 cart shows it has a VRAM error at a certain address. The odd thing is that I have another console without the mod - and it has the same problem and fails the memory test at the same memory address space. I'd chalk that up to being a defective AtariMax cart - except other carts display the same problems on both consoles - garbled graphics that render many games unplayable (Gateway to Apshi seems to be the worst, and is my sole reason for having a Colecovision).

Let me know if you think you can fix this, if you need any more details. I'd like to have the second Colecovision modded for the fast Bios and AV, and have them both repaired. Maybe we can work out some sort of bundle deal?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...