IGNORED

Peg Solitaire

Ninjabba

With my unhealthy obsession for the system & no sense of priority in daily life, I just finished a quick implementation on Peg Solitaire. Both English and European variant can be played.

Nothing is gained once the puzzle is solved.

I think I'll try and add music to this, since I still need to dive into some implementation details for that. And probably some animated background to distract you from solving the game.

Controls:

- Select a marble with A, and set it to an adjacent target cell with A again.

- B cancels the first selection

- opt1 returns you to the intro screen.

If there are bugs in there, please let me know.. I was really hasty on this one.

PegSolitaire.zip

Edited by Ninjabba

Great to see people trying to solve it :) I still haven't solved it... but good to hear it looks like its bug-free. Now to fix some tune..

Don't forget a nice background. I like Gremlins style of adding atmosphere to a board game like this.

post-2099-129723836843_thumb.jpeg

--

Karri

• 11 months later...

Here's an update of the Peg Solitaire game:

- added a few more boards (5 in total)

- added some gfx

- added the first chiptune I ever worked on

Controls are still the same

I mainly use this project as a test case for adding sounds/music. I am aware of the bug that when switching games the sound will keep hanging at times/resetting when starting a new game and whatnot more. This is mainly caused by the fact that I haven't figured out how to stop the music yet.

I'll post the source of this project later on, but gotta run for work now :)

Edit:

Thank you Sage for providing me the sound drivers! Credits for the tune go to Empty Space, got it from Mod Archive: http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=89762, and mixed by me using chipper :)

post-22942-0-11361300-1327565396_thumb.jpg

PegSolitaireV1.1.zip

Edited by Ninjabba

Wow, big big problem. Maybe ask someone. http://lynxdev.atari...cture_test5.zip

Good point about the high colored images for small games.. its quite incredible that you can display 2000 colors at once on the screen! If I hadn't seen the slideshow demo before I'd say its black magic. I'll start asking around in the programming forum :)

Good point about the high colored images for small games.. its quite incredible that you can display 2000 colors at once on the screen! If I hadn't seen the slideshow demo before I'd say its black magic. I'll start asking around in the programming forum :)

Changing colors like this during the active display is a very good tool on the Lynx. But it can take some time to think of good ways to make it seamless with a game.

If you just want to change things with a one scanline step, it is actually quite easy. Just have one of the system timers running in sync (or as close as possible) to timer 0 (HBL), then use it to feed another timer. Then you have a line counter. I usually use timer 1 fed into timer 3 for this. This is done in a few places in Zaku, like Marine Zone and Emp's battle, but I have been trying to find more interesting uses for it nowadays.

You can also change the colors mid-scanline for a million-jillion onscreen colors.

But of course the more you do this the more the 6502 is borrowed from running the game.

I'm assuming the techniques for more colors are:

1. Flip between two palettes and screens each VBL-more perceived colors, but also some flicker.

2. Change palette mid-screen one or more times, using HBL. Increase the overall amount of colors on the screen, but color use is still limited to 16 colors per scanline.

3. Mid-line changes, as above, but more CPU time involved, and still some restrictions on color use.

These same techniques are used in quite a few other systems, Atari 8-bit as one example.

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a copy of the new Atari User magazine and saw a very good review of this game in it! Has there been a cartridge release yet or is there any plan to do one, I would love to purchase one if there is.

Thanks for telling me! I wasn't aware this got picked up. I've been asked for a cart release a few times, but I would need to have a few mini games + do some polishing before I think its cart worthy. I was actually working on this, but then the unfortunate event of a burglary happened and the thieve(s) stole my laptops with source code. After that I haven't touched the project because of frustration and I'm focussing on Wyvern Tales that hopefully will be a cart release.

Edited by Ninjabba