IGNORED

Topic for newbies or veterans returning to Atari

Philsan

Hi,

I have an Atari 800XL and I am looking for a flash cart that can handle both cartridge games and floppy based ones.

I found the Side2 here: http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=68

But it seems kinda small flash size - 256K? especially compared to the Ultimate SD Cart - which seems to only support cartridge images.

As someone completely new to the Atari scene - which is more prevalent - cartridge or disk based software?

If you haven't already done it, please read first post.

Side2 is a Compact flash card based cartridge, so it has no storage limits.

Together with U1MB internal memory expansion, Side2 loads all existing software; unfortunately that solution needs some soldering inside the machine.

Other solutions have pro and cons.

For example, SIO2SD is a good solution, but you cannot load games with more than 64KB unless you have a memory expansion.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, I've got a newbie question. I know there are various projects for the A8 where you can put programs from on either an SD or flash (downloaded on your modern computer), and then hook it up to your Atari to run them. These projects are Ultimate Cart, Side 2, SIO, SIO2SD, etc. Some run some program files, some run the other ones. None run all, but Side 3 might (maybe, we don't know yet).

Now, with that being said, does anything allow you to read the 1050 and it's floppies? I want to transfer the content of my floppies onto that devise (Side 2, Sio, etc)? I have so many old programs that aren't even on Atari Mania for download, and would love to preserve them.

I have successfully backed up a couple of my own floppies using my 1050 drive set as drive #2 and my UNO Cart as drive #1.

You can also use a SIO2PC or a SIO2SD to back up floppy disks. If they are commercial disks, however, you might run into some copy protection issues.

• Like 1

To copy unprotected floppy, you can use an Atari connected to 1050 and SIO2SD in chain.

I have successfully backed up a couple of my own floppies using my 1050 drive set as drive #2 and my UNO Cart as drive #1.

You can also use a SIO2PC or a SIO2SD to back up floppy disks. If they are commercial disks, however, you might run into some copy protection issues.

Thanks guys, and yes, I'm talking about unprotected floppies. One final question though, because I would prefer not to buy more than one device. None of the carts can do this right, such as Ultimate Cart and Side 2? If the answer is no as I assume it is, any chance Side 3 will do it all?

Right now the UNO Cart is the closest to being able to do it all but its ATR support is not perfect. I'd wager that the UNO Cart has been able to handle about 2/3 of the ATRs that I've thrown at it, *almost* all of the XEX files, and just about 100% of the CAR images. Side 3 might be the best bet for all around support but there is very little information about it at the moment and no real timeframe of when we might expect to see it available for purchase either.

A cheap SIO2XX device (for example $20 SIO2PC-USB) is a good investment; it's the only device that emulates perfectly a disk drive and with it (and a memory expansion) you can load all software (executables versions of carts are available).

Eventually you can buy a cart, to quickly load a big part of the software without memory expansions.

Hi!

I think newbies should get boost points for reading/using the newbie topic and search functions first!

I would add to the first post a reference to RespeQt, instead of AspeQT, and also the cheap sio2pc-usb options available today.

• Like 4

Hi!

If you help me posting infos and links, I can update first post.

For example, what are differences between RespeQt and AspeQt? Are they compatible so I can add RespeQt near AspeQt?

Yes, RespeQt is based on AspeQt code with further fixes and additions, developed as open source. You can download over github for Windows/MacOS/Linux https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt/releases

There is also a dedicated forum here in AA: http://atariage.com/forums/forum/184-respeqt-sio2pc-software/

About the DIY cheap SIO2PC-USB cables, I think that this video is good:

The USB serial cable can be purchased cheap, see for example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6pin-FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-Serial-adapter-module-USB-TO-TTL-RS232-Cable/1858974923.html

• Like 3

For those that do backup their collection and don't mind sharing it, I beg you to make a thread in the standard forum to let people know, as said in the thread, you just might have some stuff that's not been found so far..

Paul..

Great idea!

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a manual for Go and unfortunately, we don't have them here at Atari Age like we do for the 2600/7800/5200/Lynx/Jaguar. It would be nice to list sources for manuals in the newbie section. So far, I've checked archive.org's section and Atarimania without luck, but there may be other repositories. Manuals can still be useful sources of information for newbies.

• 1 month later...

In the last weeks many users asked what are the best A8 homebrews.

It's a hard question for every platform. You have to follow the scene closely to reply.

So I decided to add "4. Best homebrews?".

Everyone of us has his point of view but I think KazKompo best game of the year contest is a good objective starting point to know the best ones.

In the latest months I found that people is amazed by A8 Rastaconverter generated pictures. No other contemporary computer can match those results.

So I added "8. Graphic capabilities" too.

• Like 2

In the last weeks many users asked what are the best A8 homebrews.

It's a hard question for every platform. You have to follow the scene closely to reply.

So I decided to add "4. Best homebrews?".

Everyone of us has his point of view but I think KazKompo best game of the year contest is a good objective starting point to know the best ones.

In the latest months I found that people is amazed by A8 Rastaconverter generated pictures. No other contemporary computer can match those results.

So I added "8. Graphic capabilities" too.

At the end of point 4. Best homebrews you write: "You can download them in the "4. Where to find software?" websites."

Small correction: You can download them at the "3. Where to find software" websites.

And some nitpicking: You added "7. Graphic capabilities" (not 8.)... ;-)

But your topic for newbies is great !! Quite often, when a newbie Atari owner turns up at Abbuc forum, I give links to the Abbuc newbie section (Tipps für Einsteiger), which explains how to connect the Atari and the Atari peripherals (disks, tapes, etc.), how to load programs from the peripherals, etc. - and also link to your topic for newbies, which explains what Atari models (and keyboards) are available, what modern peripherals are available and much much more...

• Like 1