IGNORED

Topic for newbies or veterans returning to Atari

Philsan

What would I be missing out on if I bought a 400 versus an 800XL? Or a 600XL?

I could post an endless list of reasons but if usability/compatibility is what you're after, "go for the 800XL". A 600XL will also do if it already has been upgraded to 64KB (or if you're able to do that yourself).

I have read the OP and understand the the 800XL and 130XE are the best Atari computers to pick up for gaming purposes but... they are a hell of a lot more expensive to pick up than the 400!

What would I be missing out on if I bought a 400 versus an 800XL? Or a 600XL? (I am finding those cheaper too - admittedly, I am looking on ebay...)

Thanks!

Many Atari games won't work on Atari 400/800.

Moreover, many games need 64KB.

As written by Fox-1, go for the 800XL (or 130XE).

I could post an endless list of reasons but if usability/compatibility is what you're after, "go for the 800XL". A 600XL will also do if it already has been upgraded to 64KB (or if you're able to do that yourself).

How hard is it to upgrade the RAM?

Many Atari games won't work on Atari 400/800.

Moreover, many games need 64KB.

As written by Fox-1, go for the 800XL (or 130XE).

Is there a way to tell the difference when you're looking at a cartridge? From pictures I've seen they don't seem to be marked...

How hard is it to upgrade the RAM?

What's a piece of cake for one is an impossible task for others but you'll need a little bit of knowledge of the parts and know what side of a soldering iron not to touch. The good thing is that it's more than likely that the old RAM (which has to be removed) is in sockets so no need to de-solder those.

From http://atariage.com/forums/topic/183694-600xl-64k-upgrade-pictures/

This memory upgrade requires 3 short lengths of wire and two memory

chips (HM50464P or equivalent 4464) to provide a full 64K.

What's a piece of cake for one is an impossible task for others but you'll need a little bit of knowledge of the parts and know what side of a soldering iron not to touch. The good thing is that it's more than likely that the old RAM (which has to be removed) is in sockets so no need to de-solder those.

From http://atariage.com/forums/topic/183694-600xl-64k-upgrade-pictures/

My soldering skills are rudimentary at best...

How do I tell which carts will play on 400 or 800 versus a 800XL or XEGS?

How do I tell which carts will play on 400 or 800 versus a 800XL or XEGS?

There's a list of a few Atari 400/800 original games that don't work with XL/XE (but cracked versions work) but I don't think there's a list of XL/XE games that don't work with 400/800.

Anyway, as written, if you want to play and not to collect, buy a 64K XL/XE machine.

The only drawback is XL/XE machines have only 2 joystick ports (useful for MULE or Thorn-Emi Soccer).

There's a list of a few Atari 400/800 original games that don't work with XL/XE (but cracked versions work) but I don't think there's a list of XL/XE games that don't work with 400/800.

Anyway, as written, if you want to play and not to collect, buy a 64K XL/XE machine.

The only drawback is XL/XE machines have only 2 joystick ports (useful for MULE or Thorn-Emi Soccer).

I will be on the look out for an XL/XE then.

Thank you all for helping me understand the confusing world of Atari 8-bit computers!

• 3 weeks later...

I will be on the look out for an XL/XE then.

Thank you all for helping me understand the confusing world of Atari 8-bit computers!

I have been running into this myself the last few days.

I pulled out my old 400 - many of my cartridges would not work in it.. even though I have it upgraded to 48K.

One basic easy way to know - if the cartridge has a brown dark sticker with the name on it.. its of the older carts.. and usually works on the 400/800 - any of the newer atari carts that are silver sticker.. do not.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Just wondering: Is the maxflash the 8-bit equivalent to a harmony cart?

Thanks!

The Ultimate Cart is the most equivalent to the harmony cart. The Maxflash carts aren't bad, but they don't have all of the different modes to emulate all of the carts.

I add that Harmony cart loads near all games, Maxflash and Ultimate cart don't load games only available on disk or multi disk games.

SIDE2 cart + Ultimate 1 MB internal board load near all games.

If you want to easily load all games with a simple stand-alone device you can use a SIO2SD (it's not a cart but an external SD card reader that emulates a storage device, read first post).

Keep in mind that the Harmony cart also gives the 2600 more available processor power if a game is coded to use it (Pitfall 2 DPC is emulated). There are currently no "game loader" carts for the 8-bit computers that do this. We have veronica, but that is just a co-processor and takes another device to load games / code to the computer.

What would be really cool for newbies would be a YouTube video series showing how to use an 8-bit Atari machine.

E.g. 1) An Atari 800LX and disk drive - pulling up a directory listing, loading a file, saving a file, copying a file, formatting a diskette, and using the keys on the right side of the machine.

E.g. 2) An Atari 400 and tape drive - loading a program, making an edit to it, saving a BASIC program, etc....

Kind of like a simulation of what it was like to go to the store, get an Atari 8-bit computer, hook it up, and start using it.

• Like 1

What would be really cool for newbies would be a YouTube video series showing how to use an 8-bit Atari machine.

E.g. 1) An Atari 800LX and disk drive - pulling up a directory listing, loading a file, saving a file, copying a file, formatting a diskette, and using the keys on the right side of the machine.

E.g. 2) An Atari 400 and tape drive - loading a program, making an edit to it, saving a BASIC program, etc....

Kind of like a simulation of what it was like to go to the store, get an Atari 8-bit computer, hook it up, and start using it.

I'd love this!!!

Hi, I hope this isn't the wrong place to post a question like this; please forgive me if it isn't.

I recently got an Atari XEGS, and I've noticed that it's really difficult to remove the game carts from the cart slot. Requires more strength than I feel like it ought to. I noticed the vertical tabs inside the slot have gotten rough/worn. Is there something I can do to remedy this situation? I don't want to damage the tabs anymore.

IF your willing to take the case apart the bracket that the tabs are built on is removable? you could clean - straighten them out...

Does this happen with any cart? or specific ones?

James

Maybe I'll take it apart and tinker with it a bit. The computer is pretty much brand new. Games play perfectly. Every cart is just really snug. I think the inside vertical tabs are holding onto the cart too hard somehow, which might explain the wear on the tab tips.

Thanks for responding!

• 3 weeks later...

I have Pac-Man and River Raid but nothing to play them on. Build quality and picture quality are important but not if a good chunk of game compatibility is sacrificed, as I may buy more games. From the reviews I've seen, 800XL, 130XE or XEGS is the way to go. What's the game compatibility like on these three?