IGNORED

So I have a Vic-20...

Fyrri

Here is the user's manual. But the short instructions are:

Type LOAD and hit enter/return. Then press PLAY on the tape unit. When it finds a file, it will tell you it's loading. It's normal for the screen to go blank while the tape is running. Have fun.

cassette.pdf

Thanks! I've been lurking for a long time, and finally decided to register.

I should have worded the question differently...

I'd like to know how to back up the *.TAP files onto a cassette for use in my VIC.

Edited by Fyrri

If you are copying an actual tape, I think you can do it in a normal dual deck cassette player. Not sure how to do a rom file to tape though.

You should also look into the Megacart. Has pretty much all of the cart games, a bunch off utilities, and a number of converted tape games on it. I've never felt the need to venture past this since I got it. A lot of great games to play!

If you are copying an actual tape, I think you can do it in a normal dual deck cassette player. Not sure how to do a rom file to tape though.

You should also look into the Megacart. Has pretty much all of the cart games, a bunch off utilities, and a number of converted tape games on it. I've never felt the need to venture past this since I got it. A lot of great games to play!

Yeah, I agree with this. I have the MegaCart too, and it has pretty much all the highlights on it. There's some newer games available on the Denial site that I'd like to have on it, but that's about the only drawback to it at all. The MegaCart even has the RAM expansion and programming carts on it, making my real ones obsolete.

I checked out the Megacart. While awesome beyond measure, it's WAY out of my price range. This happens a lot, being 13 with no regular income :ponder: . I'm going to ask the folks on Denial in a bit, because it won't let me register for awhile. Those darned anti-bot measures kept me out for now.

I checked out the Megacart. While awesome beyond measure, it's WAY out of my price range. This happens a lot, being 13 with no regular income :ponder: . I'm going to ask the folks on Denial in a bit, because it won't let me register for awhile. Those darned anti-bot measures kept me out for now.

EXCELLENT that you are into vintage hardware!! Isn't this stuff fun and interesting? I have never lost my curiosity over it ever since I was your age and the Vic 20 was just being replaced :) 22 years running so far.

• Like 1

EXCELLENT that you are into vintage hardware!! Isn't this stuff fun and interesting? I have never lost my curiosity over it ever since I was your age and the Vic 20 was just being replaced :) 22 years running so far.

Thanks! This stuff is endlessly amazing. I could sit down and play my 2600, NES, etc. for hours. Funny how the laptop I received less than five years ago is already defunct (Apparently there were some defective video cards coming from Dell), but my Vic 20 from the early 80's still functions beautifully. They just don't make computers/games like they used to. xD

• Like 1

It's always great to see young people who didn't grow up with this technology enjoy and appreciate it. :thumbsup: The Vic-20 was the first computer I ever owned myself. Limited, but still fun. This thread actually motivated me to go play with the Vic/MegaCart for over an hour. There's some really good games for it!

I'm also a member of Denial and willing to help if I can. The mega cart is awesome! I tried to order one once but it didn't go through. :(

A standard dual cassette deck works just fine for backing up programs on tape. I've tried copying to cd with no success yet. In a few cases, I've loaded the programs and altered a few code lines related to loading, then saved to disk.

Thanks much! So, I need a tape recorder... Do I need a computer with a special jack for the RCA cable, or will a headphone jack work?

Usually a headphone jack will work for this sort of thing, but there's no guarantees of course that any specific one will be able to hit the correct output levels. I remember doing something very similar playing WAV files of 2600 .bin files into a 2600 SuperCharger from a PC through headphone/output jack and it worked fine. You'll just have to experiment to get the right volume levels and such.

Dude, 13... that's when I first joined these forums almost ten years ago. It's strange to think that I've been visiting a website for ten years now...

But anyway, sorry to digress :P Carry on!

I tested out games for both the VIC-20 and Commodore 64 using tapwave many times just to try out games. It will also work on the Starpath Supercharger for the Atari 2600. I didn't bother doing it much though. Only when the system was new to me. It takes so long to load up a game from a cassette tape on Commodore 64, I said forget it and decided I'll only want to go after cartridges for a while, then floppy disks 2nd with cassettes being a distant 3rd. C64 tapes take like 8 minutes to load. VIC-20 cassettes are not as bad because the games are much smaller file sizes than Commodore 64 games and load up substantially quicker. 2-3 minutes usually.

Edited by TheGameCollector

Datasette came in the mail today. The cassettes is came with work fine, but the ones I create almost never work. So far, I've gotten one to work, but trying to play the same tape again failed. I follow the onscreen directions, it says 'Searching' and appears to be done within one minute. I try to run the game, but it just says 'Ready' again. What am I doing wrong?

Is there a hole above the keys for a small (tiny) screwdriver? If so, that will adjust it. You may want to try that. Though, I've never had to do it before as I've never had one not work. If it doesn't have that hole, then I'm not sure how you adjust the head other than taking it apart.

Ok, I see it. I'll try to adjust it now...

You may have to adjust it, then record a program, then read it back... you may still not be able to read the ones that you already wrote. Then of course make sure you can still read the other games. Again, I've not done this ever to a Commodore Datasette, but just working from experience on similar units.

There's got to be instructions out on the internets somewhere for this. Or a good manual for the C2N.