IGNORED

So I have a Vic-20...

Fyrri

The screw was stripped, and it still doesn't work. Maybe its the computer I'm using to burn the game to the tape... I'll have to try a different one later.

It's worth a shot. It seems unlikely that it would be the computer, but you never know.

Worst case, if you open it up, I'll bet you can turn the screw somehow. Small vice-grips, or something, I don't know.

I opened it up, dusted EVERYTHING off with a can o' air, about to try again. I don't want to muck around with the innards if I can avoid it.

You shouldn't have to muck around, just adjust it. I'm sure those links will explain how to do it. It can't be harder than adjusting any other tape player (other than the stripped screw).

Though kind of hard to find, there are game carts that plug in for instant "Console" gaming. OMEGA RACE, SHAMUS and TYPE ATTACK come to mind. Type Attack plays like Space Invaders and is perfect with the 22 column large font VIC20 screen.

Type-Attack.png

Yes, maybe he doesn't know that. I think he's trying to get his datasette working though.

You know what's funny is that I was playing games on my Vic-20 MegaCart just yesterday, and I had never before seen that game, but played it for quite awhile (I like typing games, I'm really weird). Then the very next day, you post a picture. Odd! The game Typo is good too, but Type-Attack is better.

Also in case the OP doesn't know about it, the http://www.mega-cart.com is about the best thing to ever happen to the Vic-20. Get that, and you will never need much else for it. There's a lot of tape games, cart games, all the util/memory expansion carts, everything.

Ah crap, that's right. I forgot, you're making tapes with something other than that, aren't you? It probably is the OTHER tape machine that needs the adjustment. That makes a lot more sense since the tapes that came with it are working. Sorry, I totally spaced that out. I was thinking you were SAVEing a program on the Datasette, then trying to LOAD it. By the way, try that if you haven't already.

Or is that what you're doing? I'm confused. This is the line that threw me off: "Maybe its the computer I'm using to burn the game to the tape... I'll have to try a different one later." I thought you meant a different Vic-20, meaning that's what you were using to make the tapes.

Ah crap, that's right. I forgot, you're making tapes with something other than that, aren't you? It probably is the OTHER tape machine that needs the adjustment. That makes a lot more sense since the tapes that came with it are working. Sorry, I totally spaced that out. I was thinking you were SAVEing a program on the Datasette, then trying to LOAD it. By the way, try that if you haven't already.

Or is that what you're doing? I'm confused. This is the line that threw me off: "Maybe its the computer I'm using to burn the game to the tape... I'll have to try a different one later." I thought you meant a different Vic-20, meaning that's what you were using to make the tapes.

I took a chance and guessed he might have one of those USB cassette decks. It's a lot easier to adjust just the recorder than every player you might use. :)

Hehe... Sorry if I was being vague. The Datasette itself works beautifully, I've tested saving, loading, etc. I'm using one of these to get the program onto the tape. I got a headphone jack to headphone jack at Radioshack. It's coming from the computer's headphone jack into the mic input on the cassette deck.

Edited by Fyrri

Ok, yeah, then leave the Datasette alone (it was good that you cleaned it though), and maybe look into adjusting the other tape player. I have no idea what else it could be, unless it has something to do with the type of tape you're using. Any old regular tape should work, but the fancier you get, the more trouble you're likely to have if you don't know what's compatible and what's not. Actually, any should work some, just not as well, if that makes sense.

Well, the tapes I have now work fine for saving/loading from the VIC itself, so I'll see what I can do with the tape deck... What should I adjust?

Right, I wasn't sure if you were using the same tapes or type of tapes for the ones that work and the ones that don't. You should be set then.

For what to adjust I have no clue how to do that on yours. You'd have to read the manual for whatever tape deck you have. It just involves setting the azimuth of the head, but I don't know how to do it on yours. There's usually just a small screw just like on the Datasette.

Best way to do this is to play a tape that loads fine on your datasette in the recorder with the volume turned up enough to hear it. Adjust the head while playing until volume is at its loudest. If all else fails, you can just bend the head a little in or out.

Best way to do this is to play a tape that loads fine on your datasette in the recorder with the volume turned up enough to hear it. Adjust the head while playing until volume is at its loudest. If all else fails, you can just bend the head a little in or out.

Sweet, that makes sense, nice tip! He just needs to find the adjustment screw.

Sweet, that makes sense, nice tip! He just needs to find the adjustment screw.

They used to have an alignment tape for just that purpose...and people paid for it too! :rolling:

Wait, what? How can I play the tape AND adjust the head at the same time? I'm totally lost. :ponder:

Well, on the Datasette, the screw hole is right there exposed and accessible while you're playing a tape, right? Hopefully the one on your other recorder is the same way.

Sometimes, you must remove the cassette door to be able to adjust the head. You then turn the screw with tape playing till highest volume is achieved. It works in both directions. Try both clockwise and counter clockwise until it makes a difference.