IGNORED

Sega Genesis is overheating

Snoogins

Hey, I was hoping you guys could help me with my Sega I bought it like last year haven't been playing it much but it sometimes overheats when I'm playing a game.. and lags.. and when i plug in another controller it really starts freezing up on the screen.. and i don't know what to do.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

For $10 or $20, I'd just buy a different one and be done with it.

Would it cost more just to fix it..? cause i kind of grow sentimental to my consoles.

Not unless you can fix it yourself on the cheap, which I'm guessing you're not an electronics guy from your post. It's not like you can just pop out chips and replace them. IIRC, none of them are socketed.

I think I know what you mean about growing sentimental though... cosmetically speaking? If so, you could still just purchase a different unit, remove its guts and place inside your case...

For $10 or $20, I'd just buy a different one and be done with it.

Would it cost more just to fix it..? cause i kind of grow sentimental to my consoles.

Not unless you can fix it yourself on the cheap, which I'm guessing you're not an electronics guy from your post. It's not like you can just pop out chips and replace them. IIRC, none of them are socketed.

I think I know what you mean about growing sentimental though... cosmetically speaking? If so, you could still just purchase a different unit, remove its guts and place inside your case...

thanks for the help! i guess I'll just buy a new one anyways thanks again!

If capable, check the voltage regulator mounted on the aluminum heatsink. They tend to get covered with lint and overheat. Also blow off all the crap on the main board. You'd be surprised just how much gets in there.

This is a good idea. Try opening up the system and cleaning out all of the dust. My sister in law had a laptop that was over heating and i opened up and cleaned out all of the dust and it ran cool after that.

If capable, check the voltage regulator mounted on the aluminum heatsink. They tend to get covered with lint and overheat. Also blow off all the crap on the main board. You'd be surprised just how much gets in there.

Great idea for sure, they do run hot when they're covered in dust. The heatsinks are pretty big, hard to miss. If it still overheats a good thing to try would be to clean up the regulator (or have it replaced) and then put good heatsink compound between it and the aluminum.

The fact that it still works until hot leads me to think it's something that simple. Possibly even a cracked solder joint. While I'm sure it can happen, I've never seen a failed Sega Genesis or SMS, but I have seen owners fail their Sega.

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that it still works until hot leads me to think it's something that simple. Possibly even a cracked solder joint. While I'm sure it can happen, I've never seen a failed Sega Genesis or SMS, but I have seen owners fail their Sega.

Wouldn't surprise me if a connection on the cart slot got cracked.

• 7 months later...

dont just "buy an new one" thats such an american thing to say. how wasteful? that user probably buys a new car everytime his needs fixed. ide love to see that guys bills..

You're comparing the cost of a vehicle to the cost of a Genesis? Where the cost to repair a car is generally way lower than the cost to buy a new one, his cost to buy a new Genesis is probably the same once you calculate the cost of materials, and the value of his time. And what if he doesn't know how to repair electronics? Should he spend months in electronics learning courses and $1000s to just to learn how to fix his Genesis? Some people just don't have that kind of time or money, or interest for that matter, to learn electronics.

And USA isn't the only capitalist country.