IGNORED

Another fairly easy game idea..

yuppicide

I thought I'd present to you another game with a fairly easy idea to port to the 2600. I planned on doing it, but haven't done much of programming lately.

It's a game called One Button Bob. Bob does different actions all using one button.

The game is made up of static screens and when he reaches the right side safely he proceeds to the next screen. The object of the game is to finish using the LEAST amount of button presses.

Bob automatically scrolls to the right.

So, for example, in screen 1 the button causes you to throw a boomerang. You need to kill a bat to get by.

Screen 2 you use the button to jump over a pit.

Screen 3 you use the button to stop him from moving so you're not hit by an arrow.

This game would be easier once we get the new bAtari Basic to work with because we'll have more sprites available, but it'd be doable now I suppose.

Towards the end you get to fight a large monster.

Play the game and see:

http://armorgames.com/play/5286/one-button-bob

My friend's name is Bobby, so I was going to call name it Bobby instead. I wanted to try and remake the game into him trying to get his stolen guitar amp back. I also wanted to try and incorporate a piece of their music into the game.

There's other one button game(s?) but this was my favorite.

• 3 months later...

What button is supposed to be used for one button bob in the flash game? I tried clicking. The first screen I cleared, but in the second screen I just fell down the hole.

Anyway, I've made this. I can't really seem to control the first row of pfcolors, it just ends up being the last ones repeated. I was wondering whether someone could help me with this.

1buttonbob.bas

1buttonbob.bas.bin

I can't really seem to control the first row of pfcolors, it just ends up being the last ones repeated. I was wondering whether someone could help me with this.

Do you have pfcolors in the main loop:

www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#kernop_pfcolors

Edited by Random Terrain

Ok, that worked, but there's still one nagging problem: Near the center of the screen, the background colors go up a pixel. Is there any way to fix that?

www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#kernop_background

If you don't use no_blank_lines with background, timing issues will cause a stairstep effect (the rows will not be perfectly straight).

I'm rewriting your code making it easier to add levels and readability.

I was also thinking of doing a rendition of this game, but only after I completed my current 3 projects.

For now I certainly don't mind helping you out with this one :)

Okay here you go, I made a template for each scene but you'll have to fill in the rest of the condition code.

To add a new scene use the template code at the end of the file and add the scene number to the Scene_Select loop on goto area.

If anything confuses you, since this is pretty much denying your coding style in favor of mine, then feel free to disregard this and continue as is :D

[edit]fixed messed up scene 1 colors

1btnBOB.bas

Edited by ScumSoft

• 8 years later...

We'll be featuring One Button Bob LIVE on this Wednesday's (tomorrow's) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- A Roach In Space (2019 WIP Update) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka John Von Neumann aka Vhzc
- NanoWing (2017) by Brian Shea aka metalbabble
- One Button Bob (2011) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- Drone Wars (2019 WIP) by Jesus Jimenez aka Jesús98

1961479788_20190717-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.80b61a923704c01ebcee5ab61b288b0f.jpg