IGNORED

Games That Rock On the Roller Controller

VectorGamer

Finally got a Roller Controller today. Man this thing rocks!

After two years I've finally been able to play Victory. Then, I played Centipede and Slither - what a difference!

Then, I started messing around with some other games:

Beamrider: Works good but sometimes you can over-spin. From now on I'm playing Beamrider with the trackball.

Carnival: That's what I'm talking about! Forget about wrestling with the controllers and use the trackball for accuracy.

Gyruss: Played very little but I think with some practice it's doable.

Miner 2049er: This would take a lot of practice because you have to spin downward to make sure you don't accidentally ascend ladders you don't want to (and vice versa).

Omega Race: I've only played it a few times but my initial reaction was that it may only give a slight edge over the joystick. I'm going to spend more time with it.

Star Wars: What a world of difference! If I didn't suck at this game I'd play it more but from now on it's going to be on trackball. Once you use the track, you never go back!

Time Pilot: No help here - the controls still suck.

And saving the best for last...

Subroc: After you get used to moving your cross-hairs the same direction you want to shoot, this game ROCKS! The trackball turns this one into a fast paced shooter.

Bottom line: The Roller Controller breathes new life into some of these games...

• Like 4

Apparently, because it's a shooter like Centipede, my ColecoVision game Jeepers Creepers is also fun to play with the Roller Controller module (set to joystick mode of course). I wonder if John Donzila's Space Invasion and Opcode's Space Invaders Collection are fun to play with the Roller Controller... can someone try it?

Edited by newcoleco
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Add to the list:

Space Fury - this game is a lot easier to play on the Roller Controller than using a joystick

With the 2600 Expansion Module, plug the Roller Controller into the joystick ports and it'll breathe new life into these games:

Centipede

Crystal Castles

Millipede

Missile Command

Reactor

I'm still messing with it, I may uncover a few more games that work better on the Roller Controller.

Tonight I played Reactor using the Roller Controller and I beat my personal best on one try - somewhere around 70K. I got to the screens I haven't seen before: the disappearing walls.

• 6 years later...

Sort of off the subject (and yet not), Star Wars works beautifully in MAME using a trackball. You'd swear the game was designed for it, it's so accurate.

I've used a USB trackball to play Star Wars Arcade on my modded Original Xbox Atari 5200 emulator ("joystick using mouse" mode enabled). It's really accurate and makes me wish my Atari 5200 Trakball would have been made to be compatible with the game for playing on the console itself. . . But, it's not. Anyway, yes the game rocks with trackball control and I'm really glad I tried it that way.

I've used a USB trackball to play Star Wars Arcade on my modded Original Xbox Atari 5200 emulator ("joystick using mouse" mode enabled). It's really accurate and makes me wish my Atari 5200 Trakball would have been made to be compatible with the game for playing on the console itself. . . But, it's not. Anyway, yes the game rocks with trackball control and I'm really glad I tried it that way.

Request over in the 5200 group to have it hacked for Trak-Ball mode. The 2600 version has already been hacked accordingly.

• 2 years later...