IGNORED

Compilation Discs

farquh

I had the Intellivision II growing up, and I am just now getting into Atari cart collecting. I of course, played the Atari in its heyday (all of the neighbors had them as kids), but I owned Intellivision II.

I originally started playing Atari again on the PSOne with the Activision Classics disc. Similarly, there was an Intellivision disc for PSOne. They were both good enough to pass the time (and I know that there were several other type discs released on PS2), but I think I know what I am missing and longing for.

It's the licensed games!

Intellivision was superior to Atari 2600 in sound and graphics. But having to use the keypad and 'disc' was no fun, and the 2600 had it all over Intellivision for having a kick ass joystick and superior play control.

Still, there were games like Lock N' Chase that was great on Intellivision. It looked and sounded 10 times better than Lock N' Chase on the 2600. Plus, the game control in this game in particular wasn't spoiled by the Intellivision 'disc' (plus, I had the third party joystick piece that fit right over the discs).

Anyway, since it was a licensed game, we're never going to see it on a "Best of Intellivision" compilation disc, as it's only the Mattel Electronics owned games that get re-released.

I think that is what I miss the most from Intellivision are the games you will never see again, like Maze-A-Tron.

Same goes for Atari. If it wasn't an Atari made game, or an Activision release, you're likely to not experience it again unless you own the carts and consoles.

I think a Donkey Kong disc would be a great idea that gathers all of the know 'ports.' You'd have the 2600 version, the 5200 version, the 7800, the Colecovision and Intellivision version, NES and, of course, throw a MAME version of the arcade original.

Having all of those available in one convenient location is something I'm surprised they haven't thought of yet.

Just an idea!

I'm sure it has been thought of... the issue is the level of license and IP chasing... for both the games, and the emulation of the systems. The Donkey Kong would require them to basically deal with at least four separate holders of copyrights, as an example. And the Tron games, well, given Disney's habit of limited releases of content for home, and that they'd be basically mandating that of whoever published it, I can see it being an immediate dealkiller.

Much of the time, a publisher just doesn't want to deal with that headache. Especially given that such deals tend to be expensive one-shots at best.

• Like 1

Jferio is exactly correct on this -- there are too many IP issues to ever make such a project viable (or even possible). Nintendo, for example, is certainly never going to license their IP to a competing hardware manufacturer so Donkey Kong will only ever be (legally) appearing on the Wii.

The best you are going to get (other than downloading ROMs, of course :ponder:) are the original arcade compilations on various modern systems. Lock 'N' Chase should be part of the new Data East compilation.

How exactly would you market/advertise ''donkey kong plus 4 inferior ports''?

Well, I'm imagining something like Namco Museum that would have Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaxian and such with as many ports as they could possibly buy.

There's no reason that the Atari Anthology disc for the PS2 couldn't have had all of the 2600, 5200 and 7800 ports of each of their arcade counterparts, as let's say, unlockable content. All Atari's arcade games on one disc, all Atari's console ports of their arcade games on that same disc.

It would just be fun. I remember Madden (2002 maybe?) had Madden '92 on it as a bonus. I think I played that section of the game more than I did the actual game since it took me back and my SNES was long gone by the time I finally got a PS2.

Just saying. Might be a market for this idea somehow...

There's no reason that the Atari Anthology disc for the PS2 couldn't have had all of the 2600, 5200 and 7800 ports of each of their arcade counterparts, as let's say, unlockable content. All Atari's arcade games on one disc, all Atari's console ports of their arcade games on that same disc.

Again, it's with the separate IP issues. Atari's IP is a bit of a mess, because the arcade stuff went to one place, the console stuff went to another. They'd still have to negotiate to include the IP of two disparate legal identities on the disc. And, in most cases, it's just not thought to be worth the hassle and extra costs. Yes, even for including console ports from an Atari console on a compilation of Atari arcade games.

I had the Intellivision II growing up, and I am just now getting into Atari cart collecting. I of course, played the Atari in its heyday (all of the neighbors had them as kids), but I owned Intellivision II.

I originally started playing Atari again on the PSOne with the Activision Classics disc. Similarly, there was an Intellivision disc for PSOne. They were both good enough to pass the time (and I know that there were several other type discs released on PS2), but I think I know what I am missing and longing for.

It's the licensed games!

Intellivision was superior to Atari 2600 in sound and graphics. But having to use the keypad and 'disc' was no fun, and the 2600 had it all over Intellivision for having a kick ass joystick and superior play control.

Still, there were games like Lock N' Chase that was great on Intellivision. It looked and sounded 10 times better than Lock N' Chase on the 2600. Plus, the game control in this game in particular wasn't spoiled by the Intellivision 'disc' (plus, I had the third party joystick piece that fit right over the discs).

Anyway, since it was a licensed game, we're never going to see it on a "Best of Intellivision" compilation disc, as it's only the Mattel Electronics owned games that get re-released.

I think that is what I miss the most from Intellivision are the games you will never see again, like Maze-A-Tron.

Same goes for Atari. If it wasn't an Atari made game, or an Activision release, you're likely to not experience it again unless you own the carts and consoles.

I think a Donkey Kong disc would be a great idea that gathers all of the know 'ports.' You'd have the 2600 version, the 5200 version, the 7800, the Colecovision and Intellivision version, NES and, of course, throw a MAME version of the arcade original.

Having all of those available in one convenient location is something I'm surprised they haven't thought of yet.

Just an idea!

Well the easy solution to this would be to use Flash Carts! And load the entire game library onto it and you'd be set. I'm not really into intellivision but im sure that someone at some point made a flash cart for the intellivision. For the Atari 2600 the best one(and easiest to acquire, as they werent a limited release) would be the harmony cartridge. If you get the deluxe edition, the 2gb flash card can hold every single Atari game ever made and still have ~1.6gb left!