IGNORED

Just got I-War.

superjudge3

I really like this game. I' don't see why a lot of people don't like it. It's creative, fun, and looks great. Oh and the music is really good too! I've only got about half way through it and I'm having a blast! I wish Atari had done more games like this, the goraud shading looks nice. I wish Hoverstrike had less textures and more shading, maybe the frame rate would have been better, anyways thought I'd share.

Yeah, I enjoy I-War too. It has some downfalls (slowdown, a bit of a learning curve, and some other imbalances), but overall it's very playable and I find it to be quite fun. Got to love the in-between bonus stages as well as the electronic-oriented soundtrack, too.

Yeah, I enjoy I-War too. It has some downfalls (slowdown, a bit of a learning curve, and some other imbalances), but overall it's very playable and I find it to be quite fun. Got to love the in-between bonus stages as well as the electronic-oriented soundtrack, too.

I wish they would have used the in-between stages for some shoot-em up levels! That would have been awesome. It's too bad the early Jaguar developers didn't have a handle on the technology like the developers of I-War seemed to have. I wish Cybermorph would have been polished like I-War. The action of the tank in I-War is so smooth compared to Cybermorph and the shaded polygons look ten times better than Cybermorph's too. I know Cybermorph came out almost 2 years earlier but that game was so rushed. They should have waited to release the system and game and get good developers tools to people. Anyway I'm off-topic now. :)

I wish they would have used the in-between stages for some shoot-em up levels! That would have been awesome. It's too bad the early Jaguar developers didn't have a handle on the technology like the developers of I-War seemed to have. I wish Cybermorph would have been polished like I-War. The action of the tank in I-War is so smooth compared to Cybermorph and the shaded polygons look ten times better than Cybermorph's too. I know Cybermorph came out almost 2 years earlier but that game was so rushed. They should have waited to release the system and game and get good developers tools to people. Anyway I'm off-topic now. :)

Well, yeah.. that's what Battlemorph was for. ;)

Cybermorph isn't THAT bad though. It was a very early effort and quite basic in design, but it's still fun and it has a more consistant framerate overall than I-War. Or, at least I thought so. :D

I do understand what you are saying, though, and agree. :)

I've only got about half way through it and I'm having a blast!

The worst is yet to come. The gigantic confusing teleporter mazes, the massive slowdowns when enemies clog the screen... hooo boy, you're in for a "blast" all right.

You don't scare me! :) I'm pretty good at shooting the enemies very quickly and relieving the congestion so far.

By the way I like Cybermorph just fine, its just that so much more could have been done with that game. But what's the point, the past is the past.

And I haven't noticed any shortage of enemies yet. There seems to be too many actually on some levels.

I love this game. One of my favourites on the Jaguar. The only thing I don't like is that there's no way of strafing left and right so it's hard to dodge enemies. Apart from that and the sever slowdown on the later levels, I-War is awesome. I think the graphics are great, it's challenging but not too difficult, the bonus stages add some good variety. It's just fantastic in so many ways!

I thought I-War was a pretty solid & well polished game. Even better the graphics weren't a detriment to the system. There were also some nice touches like homing rockets that can take down flying enemies, some unique enemies, multiple views, and bonus rounds.

That said, there isn't a huge variety in the locations you visit (always some sort of neon color with sparse generic textures). To make things worse, there is not alot of variety among the levels, they just seems to lean heavier on teleporter mazes as you get further into the game. Nothing really wrong with this, IWAR just didn't have the amount of variety and innovation that titles on newer systems at the time were introducing (not to mention some of the Jags better games).

Edited by Willard

Reading this thread inspired me to play the game again and so I stuck it on yesterday after not having played it in a couple of years. Firstly I noticed its by Imagitec Design who games I usually like and it also explains the kick ass soundtrack as it was them who did the music for Tempest 2000. There was so much about this game I had forgotten, I didn't even remember those tunnel like bonus stages. I also forgot just how good looking this games is too. I actually ended up playing until my eyes hurt! But its saved so I can go back to it again. My opinion of this game has now risen alot and really the only thing I found that was bad about it was the cheap hits you take off some of the enemies.

My opinion of this game has now risen alot and really the only thing I found that was bad about it was the cheap hits you take off some of the enemies.

Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. I originally had it in the late '90s but didn't care for it. I re-acquired it in 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed it to the point where I started to wonder if: A) It's one of those games one can only appreciate more with age; B) I was even playing the same game?; or C) I was on crack in the '90s and didn't know it.

• 3 years later...

Bump!

Picked this up today for 30 bones with the manual and case so I'm pretty stoked for this one. As a big fan of tron, electronic music, and polygon shooters with excruciating slowdown I think this one will be right up my alley. It comes across as sort of like hoverstrike but with the tempest 2k/tron graphical treatment. Looking forward to firing this one up in a few days..

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

It is a funny game especially when played with a friend but have to be honest to mention it is very repetitive: chase after the opponent and always in the same field so when we play it it is never for a long time but just for a short run.