IGNORED

2600 Game Idea -- DOORS

Brian O

I had an idea for a 2600 game, and I thought I'd share it with everyone, in case anyone thinks it's interesting and wants to give it a shot.

The game is called DOORS.

Basic premise of the game: You are a normal guy trapped by a madman inside a complex filled with a 100 (?) rooms (like Saw, or the Cube). Each room contains a puzzle, that you must solve in order to get the key to unlock the door to advance to the next room. There is a timer that counts down, adding some tension. Not sure how much time would be given for each room, or if it would vary, but you get the idea. You can walk over certain items to pick them up, and then use the fire button to set them down.

If you cannot solve the puzzle and exit the room in the allotted time, you die and the game is over. If you do solve the puzzle, a key will appear in the middle of the room, and you can then unlock the door at the top and proceed to the next room/puzzle. Solve all 100 (?) puzzles, and you win your freedom back.

Here's some very, very rough sample screens that I whipped up. I pretty much stole the sprite of the man, and the outer playfield shape from Berzerk, and just changed the colors.

Title screen:

Qglsq.jpg

Room 1

You start on board one that contains a checkerboard pattern for a floor:

Wctzj.jpg

Once you step on the boxes in each of the four corners, a key appears:

IeVGm.jpg

Grab the key, and the door at the top of the screen unlocks, allowing you to run to the next room:

LTqWv.jpg

Room 2

Room 2 contains 4 grays squares, and four odd, vase-like shapes:

neIaT.jpg

You'll need to pick up each vase and drop it on a gray square. When all gray squares are covered, the key appears:

DhSJp.jpg

You can then proceed to the next room:

TtZL2.jpg

And so on, and so on....

Not sure if this is doable, or how much space/rom this would require. I'm not a programmer. And since I'm not a programmer, please don't tell me to code this myself. I had an idea, and I am just passing it along, in the event that someone thinks it's a viable idea and wants to run with it. No pride of ownership here.

Any thoughts/feedback always welcome :)

EDIT: One thing I didn't add, that should probably be included, is the number of the room you're in.

Thanks,

-B

• Like 5

Not to threadjack but Brian have you ever played Puzznic for the NES? it has a similar concept in that you have to solve puzzles in an alloted time to advance

I never heard of that game. Just looked it up on YouTube. Pretty cool. I may have to buy a copy of that :)

-B

I love it! A 'random room' option would add replay value, but there should be a set maze for beginners. Does the timer reset for each room? A continuous timer could determine the final score (also adding replay value)

I like the random room idea. As for the timer, it could reset for each room but the game could keep a running total that is displayed at the end. This way, you can have different times for each room, depending on difficulty.

B

This game reminds me a bit of the old Atari type in game called "The Gantlet" (Tried running it for some screenshots, but I guess Atari800Win.exe doesn't work on Windows 7... Grr....)

Anyway, you'd go around in these rooms trying to find the exit. It was hard and I don't think I got past room 4!

Edited by Gregory DG

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic idea!!!!!!Puzzle solving games are the ones i like best.All the Sierra "Dr.Brain" titles, like "The Island Of Dr.Brain", are my favorites for puzzle solving, and stuff like that."DOORS" would sell quite well, i'm pretty sure, if sold back in the glory days of this type of gaming for the 2600, i'd buy it. :thumbsup: