IGNORED

Does anyone with expansion module 1 use an Atari 2600 system?

stringfellow

While playing a couple of games on my colecovision with expansion module 1 I got to thinking does anyone who has one of these play 2600 games on the stand alone Atari hardware? I know there are a few games that won't fit in the expansion module(Mattel games work if your careful) but other than that I don't see the point in another console. I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Absolutely, I my 2600. Having that expansion module, while neat to own, doesn't really save any space over the 2600 console. And you introduce wear and tear on the CV attaching and detaching the module. I could see it in a case where connection to the TV might make using the module worthwhile. Besides, using the 2600 original hardware is more fun. :)

Anyone have sales figures for expansion module #1?

Did it really factor into the average CV owner's gaming itinerary, or didn't they mostly pull out the original VCS console anyway?

I figure the CV argument went something like this:

Kid: "Mom, I want a Colecovision for Christmas."

Mom: "You already have so many Atari games. What will you do with all those?"

Kid: "I will still play them too."

Mom: "Yeah, right, on what TV. I don't want a bunch of game systems hooked up in the family room."

Kid: "Well, they have an expansion module that will let me play all my Atari games on Colecovision."

Mom: "I'll have to talk to your father."

Christmas came, and the kid got his wished for CV with XM1. The CV saw much game play with CV games, and the XM1 saw little usage after a week or two. Over in the corner sat the now unused VCS and a pile of older games.

So, my point is, was expansion module #1 actually a useful tool, or more of a ploy that kids used to get the parents to spring for a new system? Afterward, it saw little to no use.

Just wondering...

• Like 1

...So, my point is, was expansion module #1 actually a useful tool, or more of a ploy that kids used to get the parents to spring for a new system? Afterward, it saw little to no use...
Not sure about everyone else in the world, but I had a VCS early on, then bought a Colecovision when they came out and NEVER even considered the expansion module. I only bought one as a curiosity at a flea market years later. Functionally, it seems rather silly to me.

While playing a couple of games on my colecovision with expansion module 1 I got to thinking does anyone who has one of these play 2600 games on the stand alone Atari hardware? I know there are a few games that won't fit in the expansion module(Mattel games work if your careful) but other than that I don't see the point in another console. I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on this.

I have never actually owned any kind of 2600 console and have exclusively used the Coleco Expansion Module. Coleco produced this unit to open up the vast library of 2600 games to ColecoVision users. And yes, it was somewhat of a marketing tool. It made the ColecoVision much more attractive by giving users the ability to play hundreds upon hundreds of existing video games.

If I remember correctly, Atari tried unsuccessfully to sue Coleco over this module. NIAD can probably comment on this further.

I have never actually owned any kind of 2600 console and have exclusively used the Coleco Expansion Module. Coleco produced this unit to open up the vast library of 2600 games to ColecoVision users. And yes, it was somewhat of a marketing tool. It made the ColecoVision much more attractive by giving users the ability to play hundreds upon hundreds of existing video games.

If I remember correctly, Atari tried unsuccessfully to sue Coleco over this module. NIAD can probably comment on this further.

It was a tremendous marketing ploy by Coleco. As has been mentioned numerous times on this forum, to actually pull the unit out and then plug it in and add to the footprint of the system all tends to be cumbersome when you really think about it... can you picture the Exp. Mod. #3 Memory Console plugged into a ColecoVision and then the EM #1 plugged into the Memory Console's Expansion Bus!!! Plus, once it is installed in the expansion bus all you can play are Atari 2600 games, you have to remove it completely in order to play ColecoVision games. Although, if you used an A2600 or A7800, that would mean even more space needed for the console, controllers, another power adapter and of course RF wire and switchbox (unless you just swapped the RF cable between systems).

If Coleco had stuck with their original prototype design, at least the footprint would have been a little smaller (see pics below).

Myself, I sold my A2600 and collection of games shortly after getting the CV for XMAS '82 and I never bothered buying an EM #1 until about 6 months ago (now I have 2), even though I was forced to use them for testing purposes during my users group days.

As was mentioned, if you follow eBay closely, you will see a lot of these units either being auctioned off with a CV or individually and this lends me to believe there were a lot more made/sold than I ever realized. Seeing as there were over 6 million CV units sold, I would guesstimate that there were probably between 1.5 to 2 million EM #1 manufactured.

And yes, Atari sued Coleco over the EM #1 (did anyone escape from being sued by Atari back then). While they did not win the case outright, they did end up receiving royalties from Coleco for each unit sold.

post-25956-129704625765_thumb.jpg

post-25956-129704626401_thumb.jpg

Edited by NIAD

I suppose the point would be if you have to have one of everything like me. So yes I have not only the Exp #1 and I do use it 50% of the time but also own a Sunnyvale heavy sixer, a light sixer, a 4-switch woody, a Vader, and a Sears 6-switcher, and oh yeah a couple of Gemini's and a S American clone (umm, dynacom?) For the other 50% of the time, likely to break out the 4-switch woody. Just talking about it makes me wanna play Enduro again.

Since I don't have a 2600, I use mine. I just wish there was a way to easily disable it so I can switch back to CV mode easily. One idea I had was to make some sort of interrupt in between with a toggle switch to effectively turn off the module.

You can do this, if you want: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/149407-colecovision-atari-module-switch/page__fromsearch__1

Back in time , in 1983 , i had that module and used very often to play FrostByte , Atlantis, Real sport tennis , and all other cartridge my friend could lend to me .

All my friends had 2600 and i was the only (lucky) one to have a colecovision.:)

Nowaday, i have some 2 or 3 modules (one is still brand new sealed), but i don't use them. I prefer play 2600 games on my 7800 or my 2600jr(one with the scart cable!). The 2600jr being smaller than the module itself!!

When I was a kid I had the expansion module and used it constantly. My original colecovision was bought used and came with quite a few games for both systems. I actually have never owned and Atari 2600. The only Atari system I have ever owned(and still own) is the 5200.

I don't know why, the 2600 never really appealed to me. I went straight from Pong to ColecoVision and then got the CV 2600 module after that. There were only a few 2600 games I really enjoyed and most of those came out later for the ColecoVision anyway (Pitfall, River Raid, etc.)

I don't understand the reason for releasing the module originally.

I thought everybody ( I know not everybody did, but many millions did ) in America had a 2600. If you had the 2600 back in 1982 when the ColecoVision came out, why would you want to spend $60 when you could just hook up the 2600 and play without spending money.

Now years later it is a cool thing to have.

I don't have a 2600 so I hook up the module occasionally to play a couple titles I like. Adventure and Kaboom! mostly.

I have both the 2600 and the XM1. I only bring out the XM1 to show people how crazy the thing is. Its like the PS3 having an attachment to play xBox 360 games.

I play the 2600 all the time. I like having the real hardware there. Makes everything seem cooler to me when there is real Atari in the room anyway. :cool:

I have both the 2600 and the XM1. I only bring out the XM1 to show people how crazy the thing is. Its like the PS3 having an attachment to play xBox 360 games.

I play the 2600 all the time. I like having the real hardware there. Makes everything seem cooler to me when there is real Atari in the room anyway. :cool:

You mean : "Its like the XBOX 360 having an attachment to play PS3 games." , PS3 looks like 2600 games compared to XBOX 360( which more like a coleco in its time)...lol..

• 3 weeks later...

I thought everybody ( I know not everybody did, but many millions did ) in America had a 2600. If you had the 2600 back in 1982 when the ColecoVision came out, why would you want to spend $60 when you could just hook up the 2600 and play without spending money.

we had a 2600, but the ruling was "you have to sell the Atari before i (mom) will buy the CV, and you have to talk your dad into buying the Atari module." turned out it wasn't so difficult to accomplish.

i rarely take the module out any more, i'll play 2600 on the 7800 or via emulation.

It's been a long time since I've played 2600 carts on VCS hardware. Before I got the XM1, I was playing 2600 carts on the 7800. Now that I have the XM1, I've been playing the 2600 carts there instead.

I recently bought the Roller Controller and last night I was messing around with it to see what 2600 games work well with it. The obvious ones are the Pede games and Missile Command. The Roller Controller (or any trackball for that matter) plays Crystal Castles like it was intended to be played as well as Reactor.

Sadly, Tron Deadly Discs did not work with the Roller Controller - fire buttons didn't work.

As everyone else said: it was a marketing ploy to expand the library for use with the ColecoVision but also hyping the capabilities of the CV with additional modules in the pipeline.

Add me to the group that never owned a 2600. My parents bought the CV and XM1 at the same time as a Christmas gift for me and my sister. Atari games were more prevalent then, so by the time we got rid of that first setup (sob), we probably had twice as many 2600 games as CV games. Not to mention that they sold new 2600 games long after they sold new CV games, at least at the store I worked at. Because the XM1 is what I'm used to when I want to play 2600 games, I don't really find it much of an issue to insert and remove the XM1.