IGNORED

Probably (nay, definitely) an old question ...

scalliano

I'm rather new to these forums, having decided to sign up after I dug out my (t)rusty old VCS and discovered that it still works. Thing is, I'm sorely tempted by some of the stuff on the Store (not least of all the custom carts) but I need to ask a newbie question regarding PAL/NTSC. I have a PAL Vader connected via the hardwired (grr) RF cable to a TV which supports NTSC/60hz. While I'm aware of the translated colour palette, is it actually possible for me to play NTSC games with this setup?

Edited by scalliano

I'm rather new to these forums, having decided to sign up after I dug out my (t)rusty old VCS and discovered that it still works. Thing is, I'm sorely tempted by some of the stuff on the Store (not least of all the custom carts) but I need to ask a newbie question regarding PAL/NTSC. I have a PAL Vader connected via the hardwired (grr) RF cable to a TV which supports NTSC/60hz. While I'm aware of the translated colour palette, is it actually possible for me to play NTSC games with this setup?

Just get a ntsc 2600 on ebay. They are cheap these days. Otherwise it is 2 different things. Pal cannot play ntsc.

I need to ask a newbie question regarding PAL/NTSC. I have a PAL Vader connected via the hardwired (grr) RF cable to a TV which supports NTSC/60hz. While I'm aware of the translated colour palette, is it actually possible for me to play NTSC games with this setup?

Pal cannot play ntsc.

Wrong. There are two main differences between (most) PAL and NTSC versions of the same game: The PAL version displays more scanlines, so it runs at 50 Hz, and the PAL version uses different colo(u)rs, because the PAL and NTSC TIA chips in the consoles have their colo(u)r tables in a different order and the PAL version has fewer colours. Otherwise, a console doesn't care what region of cartridge you put in it. A PAL console will run NTSC games just fine. Colours will be incorrect and some games might be hard or impossible to play for that reason, but most games will play fine.

Another thing people who play games from both regions may notice: most PAL version games run slower than their NTSC counterpart, because when the programmers added the extra scanlines, they didn't bother to change the sprite speeds to compensate for the slower 50 Hz framerate.

Edited by A.J. Franzman