IGNORED

No more Root Beer Tapper?

keilbaca

When did Joust reappear?

Either way, it can be bought today unlike the other Midway XBLA releases like the title subject. In addition it has now joined the Xbox One backwards compatibility list as well. Hopefully a good sign that Midway Arcade Origins is planned to be made compatible.

And if Joust is a recent relisting, hopefully that means that the others will reappear as well and be made BC. I always regretted not getting Paperboy, particularly in light of its omission from Origins. And I owned all of the others except Cyberball and UMK3 and would love to have them playable on the Xbox One.

Edit: Was very recent judging by this thread. Should be a good sign that the others are making their way back and will join the compatibility list as well.

https://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=831989

Not a good sign that they're cooking up something new though. Blasteroids, Roadblasters, and so on look set to remain exclusive on the 360/PS3/XB1/PS4/Wii U to Lego Dimensions. What a waste of effort when 99% of their audience with that game doesn't care about such classics.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Not a good sign that they're cooking up something new though. Blasteroids, Roadblasters, and so on look set to remain exclusive on the 360/PS3/XB1/PS4/Wii U to Lego Dimensions. What a waste of effort when 99% of their audience with that game doesn't care about such classics.

(speculation) Maybe Midway/WB gets more money by licensing them to Lego people than selling them directly to us burned-out gamers. Seem possible to me.

(more speculation, probably more likely) There's no retro IP strategy, and Midway re-releases just bubble up like farts in the tub.

Lego Dimensions is a Warner Brothers published release, so no licensing was involved there. I think their intention was to broaden the appeal of the children oriented Lego Dimensions to capture the adult audience, with the game having seen a lot of 80's related content lately like The A-Team, E.T., and Back to the Future.

But the hurdles are too great with an expensive and necessary starter pack to get the portal and game disc, the necessary Midway Arcade pack, another couple of packs for a couple of Midway games that they decided to tie to those instead of the arcade pack, and individual unlocking of each game (If you aren't already interested in Dimensions, you'll hardly be thrilled having to play it just to unlock arcade machines)

And while I'm not certain how it all works, there quite possibly are additional annoyances once everything it setup, such as the possibility that you have to scan something every single time you boot it up (Meaning that the portal must stay connected to your console). And I'm not sure how accessible the unlocked arcade games are. People always whine about the menus in every single classic compilation, so just imagine for instance if they needed to take their Lego character for a two minute walk in the base world each time they fire up the game just to get to the arcade machines.

Give me a $15 digital download or more ideally, a $20-$30 retail release any day. That's what people interested in this content want to see. Instead, you're looking at $100+ to enjoy 23 classic arcade games, not to mention a lot of hassle if you did make the investment.

Too bad...

Edited by Atariboy

And while I'm not certain how it all works, there quite possibly are additional annoyances once everything it setup, such as the possibility that you have to scan something every single time you boot it up (Meaning that the portal must stay connected to your console). And I'm not sure how accessible the unlocked arcade games are. People always whine about the menus in every single classic compilation, so just imagine for instance if they needed to take their Lego character for a two minute walk in the base world each time they fire up the game just to get to the arcade machines.

I have the Midway content, and it's pretty fun. The level pack itself only has about a half dozen games. You are in an old abandoned video game arcade and have to make your way through the arcade unlocking some games (or something like that) sometimes you have to overcome baddies from the games, which usually indicate what you're about to unlock. The rest of the games are found in various places, some in levels while playing through the main story, some in other licenced "worlds" Like say Springfield from the Simpsons. The requirement there is you would need one of the characters from the Simpsons to enter that world. People have complained about that since you would have to purchase the mini-figure. I know you can rent mini-figures using studs as payment, not sure if that works traveling to a world though.When in the world, you can come across green arcade platform, you can then "ride" the Lego Arcade machine vehicle on to the platform and unlock a classic game title. Once unlocked, the game also unlocks in the Midway world, pretty much all lined up in a central square area. Again you would need the arcade machine Lego to access them, but they are one right next to another so pretty easy. It's definitely not as convenient as just having a front end, where you can pick a game from a list, but I don't think that was the idea. Think of it more a nice way to combine classic gaming with Lego games and introduce these old gems to a new audience.

• Like 1

I'm mostly just annoyed that they didn't at least toss them up on the digital download services for each platform as a $15 digital download, so that they'd be accessible to those not particularly interested in Lego Dimensions.

Then they'd still be introducing these to a new audience, they'd still have the interesting figurines and the arcade hub world that sounds interesting for the classic gamers that also enjoy Lego Dimensions, and those that just want the arcade games also have a viable option to enjoy them which posed little economic risk to Warner Brothers (Alas, Origins didn't sell well at retail) or erodes the value of the addition of this content to Lego Dimensions.

I'd especially of liked to have seen the additions added to Midway Arcade Origins on the 360/PS3. They mentioned that it had DLC hooks in a pre-release interview, but of course no DLC ever happened. I'd of loved to have been able to add Badlands, Blasteroids, Klax, PaperBoy, Roadblasters, Timber, and Vindicators to Origins to make it an even more impressive package.

Toss in Xbox One backwards compatibility and I'd be thrilled...

Edited by Atariboy

• 5 months later...