IGNORED

Consoles you bought for one particular game

mbd30

I wonder if I'm the only person who has NEVER bought a console/handheld for just ONE game.

To me, that just kind of seems silly. We're usually talking about systems that are pretty new and kind of expensive, not to mention what the game and the other stuff goes for. There's just GOT to be more out there for the system. At LEAST two 'must have' games, if not three.

But then that also fits very well into my other criteria that I NEVER buy a system/handheld within the first year it was released...and probaly, not within two. I wait for the price to drop some, for any bugs to be fixed, and for more games to come out for the system.

For example, I'm a big Final Fantasy fan and wanted FF 7 despite not having a PlayStation. But I waited to get one until FFT was out. That's when I finally went out and shelled several hundred bucks for the system, memory card, and the two games.

To me, that just kind of seems silly. We're usually talking about systems that are pretty new and kind of expensive, not to mention what the game and the other stuff goes for. There's just GOT to be more out there for the system. At LEAST two 'must have' games, if not three.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. The ones I listed were for consoles I was on the fence about (except for the Genesis, Sonic was the only game my neighbor had at the time and I didn't have any console. Also except for the Game boy since Pokemon kept me busy enough until the GBA came out).

The games I listed for the rest were the ones that drove me to want the system enough to get it, or I guess that first moment of amazement I had for each system.

I wonder if I'm the only person who has NEVER bought a console/handheld for just ONE game.
Nope, not at all. For me there have been single games that pushed me over the edge to actually commit to buy a system, but with one rare exception I'll only pick up a console because in addition to that one killer app there are enough other games I want to make it worth it.

The one exception for me being the n64. I didn't care what else was out on it, when I played Mario 64 I had to preorder the console immediately. That said, it's Nintendo - I knew there's be tons of great stuff coming so it's not like I was expecting to only play Mario 64.

Edited by BydoEmpire

To me, assuming a system will only ever have one 'must have' game in its lifetime is silly.

I don't think it's silly. If there's a game you'll put many many hours into, it could very well be worth the price of the system over its lifetime. If you want to get financially minded, think about the amount of money you'd spend at your local theater for same amount of time you played that one game. Maybe it's worth it, maybe it's not.

Of the systems I bought with only one game, I knew there would be more out that I'd like to try eventually. So it's not like I'm banking all my money on one single game.

A Saturn for Virtua Fighter. The only reason I got a SEGA console at the time. I was strictly NES and SNES. I was very good at the arcades with this game since I was getting whipped at Mortal Kombat 2. If VF was developed by Namco I would've gotten a PSX. No surprise I bought a Dreamcast.

Consoles I purchased due to wanting just one particular game:

SNES - Link to the Past

Sega CD - Mortal Kombat

PlayStation - Tekken

Wii - Super Mario Galaxy

Curious, why Sega CD for Mortal Kombat? I've never played this version (I do have a Sega CD though) but is it that much of an improvement over other versions to warrant the purchase of an entire system for it? Just curious. To me buying a system for just one game only make sense if that one game cannot be had on another system. For example I wanted a 3do basically for Gex (I would have gotten a few other games but I wanted Gex) but I found Gex on the Saturn and I am no longer wanting to get a 3do.

To the topic, I have never gotten a system for just one game. There have been one or two games that pushed me over the edge to get a certain system but I usually like to get 5-10 games for any system that I have.

Consoles I purchased due to wanting just one particular game:

SNES - Link to the Past

Sega CD - Mortal Kombat

PlayStation - Tekken

Wii - Super Mario Galaxy

Curious, why Sega CD for Mortal Kombat? I've never played this version (I do have a Sega CD though) but is it that much of an improvement over other versions to warrant the purchase of an entire system for it?

Answer: No. It was not worth it.

I loved Mortal Kombat during that period. I had the SNES version, and I thought it was the best home port. The Genesis version was terrible. The sound and music were off, and the gameplay was not even close. I had a Genesis, but only two games (Aladdin and Sonic). I heard rumors and saw ads for the Sega CD version of MK, so I prepared myself. The game was delayed quite a bit, so I had the Sega CD system for a while, playing games like Lunar and Dark Wizard as I waited for MK's release.

Finally, I got the call from Babbage's. I rushed home with the game and... it was IDENTICAL to the Genesis version. The only differences were:

- No need for "blood code". The blood was enabled by default.

- CD redbook audio. This was great.

- Insane load times. Yes, 1x speed CDROM is very slow.

Otherwise the game was the same as the Genesis. Was a let down. My poor girlfriend had to suffer through all those load times during our matches just so I could feel like I got my money's worth, and also I loved the CD music.

I'm not sure this would qualify as a console, but I picked up an Intellivision ECS Computer Adaptor specifically because I wanted to play Mind Strike on the original hardware. Since then, I've gotten to enjoy some of the other Intellivision ECS games (especially Melody Blaster), but unfortunately, there weren't too many of them made.

While I've bought other games for it (actually I even bought a second game the day I bought the console), the only reason I really wanted an XBox 360 was to take full advantage of Rock Band. The game was fun on the PS2, but I wanted the new songs that were coming out every week as downloadable content.

Almost three years later, the Rock Band series, most recently Rock Band 3, is by far what I play the most. Once in a while I'll pop in something like Tekken 6 or Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (excellent game, by the way), but if I had to give all those up and just keep RB3, I would still keep my 360.

Of the systems I personally bought:

Atari 7800 - for all its games when it initially came out.

NES - for the games that were available through rental.

SNES - for Mario Paint, since I was into doing video productions. The other games drew me into being a long-time owner of the system.

Genesis - for the Sonic games. Unfortunately the other games didn't draw me in as did the SNES games. I also bought the Power Base Converter for it, which fortunately only worked with the model Genesis I had bought.

Gameboy - for Tetris. The Super Gameboy accessory for the SNES made me buy as many games for the system as I did Atari 2600 games, just to see how they looked and played on a TV screen.

Sega CD - for the Digital Pictures games.

Game Gear - for the Sonic games and Pac-Man.

N64 - for Super Mario 64.

Playstation 2 - for Dark Cloud, which was a disappointing attempt of trying to one-up on Zelda 64. Not too many games for this system that I particularly liked.

Gamecube - for Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Wii - for Super Mario Galaxy and Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Xbox 360 - for The Simpsons Game and Oblivion.

Nintendo DS Lite - possibly for Super Mario 64 DS, which was disappointing. They should have saved this game for the upcoming 3DS.

PSP - for no particular game.

Edited by Vic George 2K3