IGNORED

Smurf Challenge get release!

retroillucid

Not to derail the Smurf topic but, does a prototype of DRACULA exist?, the one that was supposed to be released but shelved because of crash?It looked really awesome in the composite screenshots advertised by Coleco.This is a game I always wished could be released.I bet it would be really fantastic if done by Youki.I really don't know much about the process of making a game a reality, maybe this one is too out of reach legally? i hope not!

Edited by Rik

Not to derail the Smurf topic but, does a prototype of DRACULA exist?, the one that was supposed to be released but shelved because of crash?It looked really awesome in the composite screenshots advertised by Coleco.This is a game I always wished could be released.I bet it would be really fantastic if done by Youki.I really don't know much about the process of making a game a reality, maybe this one is too out of reach legally? i hope not!

I don't think a prototype of Dracula exists, but I do know that Dale Wick has begun working on his own version of Dracula for the CV. Not sure if he's done much progress on it over the last few years...

I don't think a prototype of Dracula exists, but I do know that Dale Wick has begun working on his own version of Dracula for the CV. Not sure if he's done much progress on it over the last few years...

I have found that video from Dale :

http://www.adamcon.org/~dmwick/adam/dracula_rooms.avi

62834badfb8b63672.gif

Cool video link. Thanks youki. :)

Edited by Yurkie

There's no proof of existence of Dracula prototype

I worked on graphics for this game and give them to Dale so he can use it for his own version

Here's the works I've done for Dracula

post-11933-0-70596600-1303234534_thumb.png

There's no proof of existence of Dracula prototype

I worked on graphics for this game and give them to Dale so he can use it for his own version

Here's the works I've done for Dracula

I've seen Dale's version in action (he showed it to me once on his laptop a couple of years ago) and he made it a lot like the promo screenshot, with several rooms and I also remember a cemetary outside the mansion. It was mostly a demo however, with no real enemies, just cross icons to collect on the ground, here and there. Honestly, while it looked good graphically, I didn't see a lot of gaming potential with it.

If it was up to me, I would make Dracula an isometric game much like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roeGHMNyHng

Graphics would be different, but you get the idea. :)

I love the look of that video. Dracula done like that would be incredible! Could the ColecoVision handle a game that looked like that? A single screen Demo like that running on actual ColecoVision hardware would be really cool to see.

I love the look of that video. Dracula done like that would be incredible! Could the ColecoVision handle a game that looked like that? A single screen Demo like that running on actual ColecoVision hardware would be really cool to see.

I believe it could be done, with a sprite-masking algorithm that would allow sprites to disappear (partially or completely) behind solid obstacles. :)

EDIT: I just realized that the video I posted above is from the CPC version. I think the ZX Spectrum version below is closer to what an isometric game would look like on the CV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1s7kexSrHE

Of course, the ZX doesn't have sprites, so the CV version would be more colorful with the use of sprites.

Edited by Pixelboy

Sprites won't be very helpful in this kind of game. The problem with sprites on C.V (contrary to C64 ones) is that they can not pass behind the background graphics. So it will be very painfull to manage that kind of perspective with sprite.

If you look at this kind of game on MSX , they don't use sprite as well.

Sprites won't be very helpful in this kind of game. The problem with sprites on C.V (contrary to C64 ones) is that they can not pass behind the background graphics. So it will be very painfull to manage that kind of perspective with sprite.

One guy's "painful" task is another man's fun programming challenge. :twisted:

If you look at this kind of game on MSX , they don't use sprite as well.

I wouldn't settle for monochrome graphics, personally...

Due to CV graphical constraint, for this kind of game , you don't have really other choice. What you see on screen is not "static" as you can see in Dracula mockup. Here you can move object, push block in the perspective. it is not possible to do without color clash , if you are not in monochrome or in lowres mode.

Due to CV graphical constraint, for this kind of game , you don't have really other choice. What you see on screen is not "static" as you can see in Dracula mockup. Here you can move object, push block in the perspective. it is not possible to do without color clash , if you are not in monochrome or in lowres mode.

Which brings us back to using sprites. :)

• 1 year later...

how high could it be, you think?

That's a tough question to answer and a lot depends on where one might become available. If someone decides to sell thru AtariAge's MarketPlace, you would probably get it for a more reasonable price. If it shows up on eBay as an auction, the final price will be determined by how many people want it and how badly they want it... obviously.

I think a fair price would be around $175-$200, all things considering, but it would have to be complete and in excellent condition.