IGNORED

CoCo3 artifact colors (fancy name for dithering?)

I'm confused about this artifact color stuff. When people talk about NTSC artifact colors, it sounds like they're refering to using rainbow artifacts to increase the color depth. Usage of B&W dithering patterns to add orange and blue color information to the image.

Seeing demos on youtube, I'm a bit disappointed. Instead of using an NTSC composite output, it looks like they're using normal RGB output with just lots and lots of dithering. Is this what the CoCo3 community meant by artifact colors?, or did the people making the videos miss the point entirely?

Edited by Multijointed Monster Maker

@thantos, you actually get more than red and blue by altering the dot patterns but those are the main colors. Only mame does a good job emulating the real thing but most of the emulated youtube stuff is recorded on something else.

However, in this case, Multijointed Monster Maker is taking about artifacting on the CoCo3. Since it supports higher resolution modes you can actually get more actifact colors. Some of the dithering look on youtube is due to the compression. If you do a large block of the same color, it doesn't actually look dithered.

• 3 weeks later...

@thantos, you actually get more than red and blue by altering the dot patterns but those are the main colors. Only mame does a good job emulating the real thing but most of the emulated youtube stuff is recorded on something else.

However, in this case, Multijointed Monster Maker is taking about artifacting on the CoCo3. Since it supports higher resolution modes you can actually get more actifact colors. Some of the dithering look on youtube is due to the compression. If you do a large block of the same color, it doesn't actually look dithered.

G'Day JamesD.

I agree with James on that, I was the 1st person to ever see what the 256 color artifacts looked like in color on a coco 3 using a actual picture and not fractual graphics, And it looks like it was dithering, But when u view it on a real coco 3 u can see it is not, depending on how the picture was 1st done on the Pc and if it used dithering u would get that on the coco 3. The pic that I saw that used dithering was a scene from Kings quest it has dithering, but all other pics I viewed when I got them. so I could take pics off them being displayed on the coco 3 in full color. for someone who worked on them in only blk/wht to see how changing the angle in the bits looked like and how much it effected the color result and these ones used no dithering.