IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Computer System for Sale

NIAD

Price Updated 2/14/11: Now $75 plus shipping!

I have for sale a tested Coleco ADAM Computer System that includes the following:

:arrow: "Stand-Alone" Memory Console with built-in ColecoVision and 1 Digital Data Drive

:arrow: Keyboard with 3' Flat ADAMnet Cable

:arrow: Keyboard Hand Controller Attachment

:arrow: Tan Hand Controller

:arrow: Custom Power Supply Unit that was pulled from Printer. Unit has a Cover and Power On/Off Light. Huge space saver!

:arrow: RF Cable with Coaxial Adapter

:arrow: 3 Manuals - ADAM Set-Up Manual, Word Processing - Typing with ADAM and SmartWRITER Easy Reference Guide

:arrow: CIB TeleGames/Imagic Tournament Tennis (in great condition)

I will also include my personal collection of ColecoVision and ADAM Roms/Software, PDF Manuals & Newsletters, Pictures, Conversion Programs to PC format and back to ADAM format, etc., etc. that totals nearly 2.5GB on a DVD.

Note that while the RF output is sufficient, I would recommend eventually purchasing a C=64 1702 Monitor Cable (5-Pin DIN to Composite Audio/Video) for hookup to a Composite Monitor or a TV with Composite Inputs. The improvement in picture quality is incredible.

I don't have any other extra software to include with the system, but can provide one with multiple sources for all your needs.

Asking $75 and shipping (via UPS Ground preferred) will be calculated dependent on your location once an agreement is reached.

post-25956-129764010571_thumb.jpg

post-25956-129764011621_thumb.jpg

post-25956-129764012523_thumb.jpg

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

:thumbsup:

This has got to be one of the best ads I've seen around here lately. Well written and generates excitement. Nice clear pics right off the bat. Great explanations and recommendations to boot. Excellent price and looks to include a TON of goodies for the money. Bravo!

Oh and love the custom power supply too. Bet it's way more reliable and somewhat user serviceable if/when something goes wrong with it.

Curious which burb you're in too. I get to Mundelein, Libertyville and Vernon Hills with some regularity.

A bump for NIAD. I almost lost interest in my Colecovision after too many were flaky. I got a big dependable Adam and I use it for gaming with a 1702 monitor: great set-up.

Having that Composite Output makes a world of difference! I have one of my ADAMs as well as a Yurkie modded ColecoVision (yeah, I know, a little overkill but they're my two favorite systems so they always stay ready for action at all times) hooked up to a Sony 26" LCD and I have never been happier. :D

The only drawback to the Stand-Alone Memory Console is that Defender and Super Cobra will not work with it (they were patched to work on the ADAM and supplied on Data Pack or Disk back in the day), but that's a small price to pay for better video output and thanks to Team Pixelboy we have a better side-scrolling shooter to play in Gulkave.

:thumbsup:

This has got to be one of the best ads I've seen around here lately. Well written and generates excitement. Nice clear pics right off the bat. Great explanations and recommendations to boot. Excellent price and looks to include a TON of goodies for the money. Bravo!

Oh and love the custom power supply too. Bet it's way more reliable and somewhat user serviceable if/when something goes wrong with it.

Curious which burb you're in too. I get to Mundelein, Libertyville and Vernon Hills with some regularity.

Thanks for the compliments. :D I had a lot of practice creating ads and flyers while managing a computer store/user's group/mail order back in the 80's and 90's and I guess I still got IT... although the store eventually closed-up as well as the user's group/mail order later on so maybe I never had IT in the first place. :roll:

Actually the power supply for the ADAM is very reliable in my experience. The problem people had with it was that it was placed in the Printer so where one went the other obviously had to go as well. It's also nice not to hear the printer reset and cycle through every time you press the Computer Reset.

I'm in Mount Prospect, just north of O'Hare Airport. When you're in the area, you should make a point to visit Sean Kelly's VideoGames Then & Now store in Norridge (Montrose & Harlem). I posted a bunch of pics a couple of months ago in the ColecoVision/ADAM Forum.

I find it funny that power supply is actually a space saver! :)

Good deal. I'm tempted and have always wanted an ADAM, but I don't have the room for another old computer system.

I had a hard time putting that "Space Saver" in there, but considering the size of the printer, I think I'm justified! :D

Good deal. I'm tempted and have always wanted an ADAM, but I don't have the room for another old computer system.

I had a hard time putting that "Space Saver" in there, but considering the size of the printer, I think I'm justified! :D

Used my ADAM printer the other day...almost went deaf...

:D

Used my ADAM printer the other day...almost went deaf...

At your advanced age, I'm surprised you even heard it! :D

• 3 years later...

How do you connect the ADAM to a monitor?

You have three choices on the back of the Stand-Alone ADAM Memory Console (the one with the ColecoVision built-in). If you have an Expansion Module #3 Memory Console, you are limited to what the ColecoVision Game System can output video to (RF on an unmodded CV, but CV mods exist for Composite, Component and VGA output).

1) RF Port - RF Output to Channel 3 or 4 uisng an RF Cable and RF-to-Coaxial Adapter

2) Monitor Port - Composite Video output only (no sound) using a Composite Video Cable (yellow RCA jacks on both ends) to Composite input of a TV or Composite Monitor

3) Auxilliary Port - This is a 7-pin DIN connector, but only 5 pins are actually used. The Coleco made Monitor Cable is impossible to find, so you will have to purchase a Monitor Cable made for the Vic 20, C=64 or TI99/4a. They are listed as 5-pin DIN Monitor Cables and include RCA jacks for Composite Video (yellow) hookup and Audio hookup (either 1 of the red or white RCA jacks).

If you have any further questions, post them in the CV & ADAM SubForum as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on there and answers can benefit others.

NIAD, I read your other post about this cable and I am confused about which colour phono cables I need. Do you think one with a yellow, red, white and black cable would work?

Thanks

IIRC, the monitor cable you are referring to is a C=64 cable that is referred to as Chroma/Luma and THIS ONE WILL NOT WORK on the ADAM.

In my experiences, it is best to stick with a 5-pin DIN Monitor Cable with either yellow & white OR yellow & red RCA jacks. Either was, the white or red RCA jack should be plugged into the White Audio Input on the TV or Composite Monitor as the mono audio outputted from the ADAM will be split on the TV to give you "pseudo" stereo.

Something like this one should work, eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2911571804391?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=291157180439&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER], but there are no guarantees. At least the price is right and with some further searching, you might find one with Free Shipping.

Ok great thanks, can you use RCA cables of any colour to connect to a monitor so for instance red and white rather than red and yellow?

Whoops! I missed this one.

This all depends on how the red and white RCA jacks were wired to the 5-pin DIN connector. My guess on this particular "red and white cabling" is that it is strictly an Audio Cable, but you could still put it to use by plugging it into the AUXILLARY PORT on the ADAM and then the Red & White Audio jacks on the TV. Then you could use a Composite Video cable (yellow RCA jacks on both ends of the cable) and plug it into the Monitor Port on the ADAM.

This configuration will therefore use two cables instead of one, but it will work just fine as I have done this in the past.

I couldn't give you an answer on that one unfortunately... I would assume it would work depending on how the DIN and Scart connectors were wired. Maybe some like AtariAge member pongbeat could help you out seeing as he's in France and I would assume he has some experience with the Scart connector.