IGNORED

The Bit Wars: Was it all BS?

to ask the question....has any 64bit games apeared on ANY current gen system (incl. mac or pc)

mac/pc are not really game systems

The difference is only a matter of marketing, and a TV vs a monitor, nothing else. And if you got into the Maxis games of the early 90s, then Mac sure was a game machine. An iPhone is too, for that matter. It's purpose is only relevant to what it's used for.

But that's just my opinion:)

But once we hit "32-bit" there was no obvious advantage to scaling up every aspect of the machine one more time. A "32-bit" machine can address only 4GB of memory, but no game system has ever had even half as much memory. A "32-bit" machine can do math on numbers that can have only four billion unique values, but in games we don't need more precision than that. Upping the whole system to "64-bits" would have provided no practical advantages and several disadvantages, such as wasting memory for big integers and pointers. So nobody made a wholly "64-bit" game system as of 2011.

Neither does a 32-bit have any practical advantage over a 16-bit CPU when it comes to 2D sidescrollers. Most 2D game physics rely on object coordinates. The average 2D game uses a resolution of 256x256 pixels. It takes 256 screens for a level to be more than 65536 pixels long. Has there ever been a 2D game with levels that are more than 256 screens long?

This is one of the reasons I always thought the 68000 was an highly overhyped and overrated CPU. Another being that 4-cycle memory accesses cancel out the performance advantage of having a 16-bit data bus.

The 68000 is easy to program, and can run at adequate speeds off of slower clocked memory chips, but just because it has 16 32-bit registers, doesn't mean it's (16 regs)*(32 bit)/(8 bit)= 64x more powerful than an 8-bit 6502 with 1 register, as some people like to believe.

But once we hit "32-bit" there was no obvious advantage to scaling up every aspect of the machine one more time. A "32-bit" machine can address only 4GB of memory, but no game system has ever had even half as much memory. A "32-bit" machine can do math on numbers that can have only four billion unique values, but in games we don't need more precision than that. Upping the whole system to "64-bits" would have provided no practical advantages and several disadvantages, such as wasting memory for big integers and pointers. So nobody made a wholly "64-bit" game system as of 2011.

Neither does a 32-bit have any practical advantage over a 16-bit CPU when it comes to 2D sidescrollers. Most 2D game physics rely on object coordinates. The average 2D game uses a resolution of 256x256 pixels. It takes 256 screens for a level to be more than 65536 pixels long. Has there ever been a 2D game with levels that are more than 256 screens long?

This is one of the reasons I always thought the 68000 was an highly overhyped and overrated CPU. Another being that 4-cycle memory accesses cancel out the performance advantage of having a 16-bit data bus.

The 68000 is easy to program, and can run at adequate speeds off of slower clocked memory chips, but just because it has 16 32-bit registers, doesn't mean it's (16 regs)*(32 bit)/(8 bit)= 64x more powerful than an 8-bit 6502 with 1 register, as some people like to believe.

yeah, you're totally right about this one. a home computer fan would tell you that a 32-bit CPU can copy pixels faster than a 16-bit CPU, but why is the CPU copying pixels? because you're on a home computer that has no sprite chip, that's why. ;)

I'd say that bits only really matter when it comes to video. An 8-bit video processor can't address nearly as much memory as a 16 or 32-bit one can.

I don't think the processor bits matter as much as the speed of it.

Frankly, I'd love to see someone design a totally 8-bit system (processor & video & sound) that kicks ass like say... a PS1. And I think it could be done if the chips were fast enough. That would end the whole bit debate.

• Like 1