IGNORED

Ultima II Apple question

Goochman

Ok,

Im working my way through U2 on my Apple IIe - Im pretty much ready to fly to Father Antos, get the ring, and take down Minax - however, I cannot get the Clerk at the Hotel CA to up my strength.......Ive 'Alakazam'd about 30 times and not once did I get strength.

In the Ultima Book it mentions that the stat can be controlled based on 'moves' made - just hit pass and try again it says. Well, again no matter what I do I cant get strength. It doesnt seem to even rotate in any order which is contrary to what the hint book says.

Any suggestions? Im pretty much ready to go but can wear reflect armor with no strength - Im stuck at 25!

So here is what I am experiencing - I am taking the fastest route possible (least amount of steps) each time. It seems Wisdom or Charisma stats are increased with this route.

I hit 'Z' to check what is changed - offer - hit Z again. It seems Z does not 'PASS' since the same stat will increase. I hit PASS and then offer - Stamina is changed - pass - offer - Wisdom is then changed.

I have tried this like 10 times and no matter what I do the only thing certain is everything but strength goes up!

Ive even tried offer - pass - offer - pass - offer just to see if I can randomly get strength to hit with no luck

Anyhow - Ill keep plugging away.

My last playthrough was with the PC version, not the Apple II, but I don't remember having this problem. Obviously, I remember having to vary the number of steps I took to reach the clerk each time I entered the city in order to change which stat was affected, but I don't recall any issues with being unable to raise a specific stat. It's sounds like a bug.

*EDIT: I found some information online that this is indeed a bug for which a patch apparently exists.

"... will fix the bug that prevents ever increasing the "Strength" stat once the character creation process is over..."

Break out the Hex editor.

My last playthrough was with the PC version, not the Apple II, but I don't remember having this problem. Obviously, I remember having to vary the number of steps I took to reach the clerk each time I entered the city in order to change which stat was affected, but I don't recall any issues with being unable to raise a specific stat. It's sounds like a bug.

*EDIT: I found some information online that this is indeed a bug for which a patch apparently exists.

"... will fix the bug that prevents ever increasing the "Strength" stat once the character creation process is over..."

Break out the Hex editor.

AArrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh - wonder how to apply the patch - Im not Apple expert............even a better reason to just play the Atari version :P

• 2 weeks later...

Exodus has now fallen :) - Boy this one took more time than U2 with all the money grabbing whirlpool running I had to do!

Love, Sol, Moon, and Death. Nice!

Yeah, III really is a grind. You need a tremendous amount of gold to boost your stats to decent levels, and it's impossible to get enough gold in the overworld through "legitimate" means. My last playthrough, I ended up spamming one of the dungeons that has a large stash of treasure chests on one of its upper levels. I would gather several thousand pieces at a time to minimize the the constant back and forth between Sosaria and Ambrosia.

2 Paladins, a Fighter, and a Druid. Interesting. I went with 2 Paladins, a Cleric, and a Wizard on my last playthrough.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that yours was a bad party or that my party was any better. I found the high level spells that the Wizard can cast to be overrated anyway. You only have enough MPs to cast one high level spell during any single encounter, and those spells often don't work as advertised on high-level monsters. Plus, Wizards don't end up earning much experience because you have to keep them out of melee combat early on, so it ends up being much harder to level them up than other classes. If I were to go through the game again, I'd probably go with 3 Paladins and a Cleric.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that yours was a bad party or that my party was any better. I found the high level spells that the Wizard can cast to be overrated anyway. You only have enough MPs to cast one high level spell during any single encounter, and those spells often don't work as advertised on high-level monsters. Plus, Wizards don't end up earning much experience because you have to keep them out of melee combat early on, so it ends up being much harder to level them up than other classes. If I were to go through the game again, I'd probably go with 3 Paladins and a Cleric.

Totally understand - I followed the FAQ advice but should've just made the party I wanted :)

I am cleaning up in Sosaria on the Apple IIe :)

I have to say Ultima I wasnt as bad as I remember. In fact there are alot of things worth carrying forward that got dropped. I read somewhere that Sierra pressured LB to get Ultima II out and there were alot of things left unfinished in the code (like quests for the dungeons and such).

The story line is just crazy like it was some sort of school project, but it was a huge world to explore.

Not sure if I have the strength to do U4 or U5 at this point :)

u1.jpg

u12.jpg.jpg