IGNORED

SUB HUNTER on C64, now ported to CPC... When A8 version?

José Pereira

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

If we get all technical it depends where you are diving, and the turbidity of the water... generally the light  and clarity is exaggerated near the surface and gets darker the deeper you go with visibility diminishing along that curve in deeper water (even when crystal clear but you can go much deeper). I really don't think the degree of visual acuity or accuracy is a concern here. Even the current crop of 3d engine folks are just now getting into what would be a more accurate under water depiction. In any event as far as the demo goes, it looks great, no need to add fog etc. As far as visibility goes above the water that also changes and if you mess about with aeronautics or fly you'll get update on visibility and distance there as well. Ever here the term 'we have clear sky and can see forever'?  Demo looks great really don't think it needs changing... as far as a game goes... who will pick up the mantle?

True I like the final result.

The only thing that bugs me is the obvious tiling because it's based on the C64 which used a very small set of tiles (for whatever reason)

I'm actually using a full pic, so it can be anything (need to keep the splittings in the same spot of course) and I would have liked a little bit of variety (a rusty anchor resting at the bottom? better moutains?  more varied waves? or like you said a starfish)

so here's the source art:

SubHunter 19_08_2019.g2f background.tga

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 2

As I said - I am nitpicking.

Here is a suggested change - I made with a screen capture using VLC.  I not only changed the colour - which you can see - but I moved up/down that area in the distance I thought need not be a constant width as the other areas.  A minor nibble.

The untouched version - is the bottom pic, of course.

It is up to you - if you think this is any better - or a worthwhile change to make or not?

Harvey 

vlcsnap-2019-Compare.png

Here is a correction to the above.  The last one has the screen slightly less than the original.

In this version here, I added a repetition of the topmost sky bit (water actually) - but this now makes it larger than the original.  But you get the idea - that I'm squeezing the middle area tighter.

It's quicker for me to do it here in Paint, whereas I haven't used graph2font for a long time.  This is not pixel perfect but it gives the effect I was intending.

Harvey 

vlcsnap-2019-Compare-2.png

1 hour ago, kiwilove said:

Here is a correction to the above.  The last one has the screen slightly less than the original.

In this version here, I added a repetition of the topmost sky bit (water actually) - but this now makes it larger than the original.  But you get the idea - that I'm squeezing the middle area tighter.

It's quicker for me to do it here in Paint, whereas I haven't used graph2font for a long time.  This is not pixel perfect but it gives the effect I was intending.

Harvey 

You are right there, but people don't want logical Graphics in games. The more off the colors , the more interesting is the game. A lot Amiga Games have been degraded by the fact that colorizations had been to real. A lot of them claimed the ST graphics had been better just by the more abstract colorization. 

Well, the C64 had no dark blue, and obviously, you could enhance the game to use all 128 colors there. As soon as such a game screen is working, those "special Atari FX" were peanuts.   

8 hours ago, kiwilove said:

Harvey 

Well, personally I like the original.  It is very, very dark deep in the ocean and that is the impressions I get.  With your new mockup, to me it looks like the sub is in the blue sky or very shallow water.

Just a matter of individual taste, though.  I do like the shade of blue you chose for the middle strip.

I couln't resist to post this @rensoup work at Lemon64 ChitChat forum and they aren't receiving it bad ?? recently they remembered Nebulus (that I presented here a similar solution as in subHunter with a Player over each sprite that are in tower 4enemys per line more the Missiles in 5th Player mode to our guy but different and using 2 or 3Players on the Submarine then other 2 more 5th Player per 2 or 3fishes per line on the undersea level(s):

https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=886866#886866

And, of course that game should be and only need is a Bitmap ModeE/GR.15 3colours+black...

?

Edited by José Pereira

18 hours ago, kiwilove said:

Harvey 

A few things:

-these are NTSC colors, not sure what that would look like in PAL (would probably be close I guess)

-you moved the splitting areas, which looks better indeed but it's a bit of a pain to update those and the slices heights have to be multiples of 8 (code optimization). On top of that they can't be too small otherwise it slows down the sprite code a lot. So I'm probably not going to touch those.

I'm hoping that someone wants to update the actual picture content so I'll just wait a little and probably post an update in a few days with your and José's palette change.

7 hours ago, José Pereira said:

I couln't resist to post this @rensoup work at Lemon64 ChitChat forum and they aren't receiving it bad ?? recently they remembered Nebulus (that I presented here a similar solution as in subHunter with a Player over each sprite that are in tower 4enemys per line more the Missiles in 5th Player mode to our guy but different and using 2 or 3Players on the Submarine then other 2 more 5th Player per 2 or 3fishes per line on the undersea level(s):

https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=886866#886866

And, of course that game should be and only need is a Bitmap ModeE/GR.15 3colours+black...

?

Damn... i didn't know that subhunter was so inspired from Nebulus (I only remembered the tower parts) ?

20080617-nebulus.gif

On 9/17/2019 at 12:59 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

lmfao, wow here  I thought you were a tower toppler fan and you didn't even know about it!

18 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

That Nebulus mini game is not in every port. 

Well I actually played the ST version which does have it but I zapped it I guess ?

I remember the game being created by JMP (seriously!). He made lots of graphics tests/demos for the ST but somehow they never got much attention... I'm not sure if he ever released them officially or they got leaked...  I got disk full of them and pretty much all of them were impressive like the one below

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Huh, I skimmed the thread and it seems to say the original c64 game.... it's not- it's a port or conversion, it was a VIC 20 game... so perhaps a clue to making some improvements are to look at it roots and then whats good in all the other ports, give it an Atari added twist of some kind and then it will be okay?

Edited by _The Doctor__

31 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Huh, I skimmed the thread and it seems to say the original c64 game.... it's not- it's a port or conversion, it was a VIC 20 game... so perhaps a clue to making some improvements are to look at it roots and then whats good in all the other ports, give it an Atari added twist of some kind and then it will be okay?

Well maybe that lightgun version being developed would be an interesting twist ?

• Like 1