IGNORED

From pc to TI and back again. How do you transfer ?

marc.hull

I thought it might be nice to have a variety of methods available as to transferring .dsk files from a PC to a TI and vice verse. Please just describe verified methods you use....

I use floppy transfer only. It requires a -->WIN 98<-- based machine, DD 3.5" floppy disks and 3.5" floppy drives (DD or HD doesn't matter.)

From A PC to a TI...

1) Use TIDIR to create a disk and add files to it.

2) Copy the .dsk from the PC to the floppy using PC99-TI utility. There are several options accommodating all formats.

I usually deal in V9T9 format so the menu selections are (2-2)

3) This creates a floppy readable by the TI.

It is important to use DD floppies as I have found that HD floppies are unreliable even on modded HD drives or floppies when used as DD on the PC ONLY. I have had good luck with HD floppies on my TI with a modded drive.

From a TI to A PC the operation is the same just a different set of commands in PC99-TI (I use menu selections (1-1) for V9T9.)

The only difficulty can be in determining what format the PC file is in (V9T9, PC-99 or TIFILES.)

WIN 98 machines are usually easy to find and cheap. Goodwill or salvage places have them and they usually have a 3.5" floppy drive. 3.5" floppy drives are also easy to find and cheap as well. The only difficulty you may have is the cable for the TI. It must be a straight through cable with out the twist. Additionally unless you want the TI 3.5" floppy to be drive #2 you must mod the cable or floppy or get a floppy with a drive select jumper.

From PC->TI:

-Test FIAD files in Classic99

-Archive using ARC303G

-QModem Pro on the PC

-(M)agic (F)ile (M)anipulator on the TI

-X Modem transfer the arc'ed file

From TI->PC:

Same process, just in reverse

CF7+ PC->TI

-Test FIAD files in Classic99

-create .DSK image using TI99Dir

-load and mount CF volume into DSK1. of the CF7+

-plug and play.

Interesting ideas, Marc, concerning the TI99-PC 3.5" floppy method. I've never tried that, and I think it would make my life so much easier... especially now that my PC is blown out. =)

starting to write that i have hundreds 5.25" for ti99 and CF7+ for this for me was important to do this conversion in a fast method, i bielive i found in this:

- i assembled a PC with an Pentium 4 1500Mhz with 512Kb and a floppy 5.25" and other 3.5", HardDisk40Gb and an nVida Video. cost 70 Euro. (about $100).

- CF7+

- TI99-PC utility

- TIDir

- Classic99 by Tursi

simply i'm using a Bagnaresi's utility on PC with Windows XP (TI99-PC Win 1.1 based on Omniflop Driver v2.2) and read directli the ti99 floppy on pc, this utility create a .dsk image of the floppy, after a can manage the image .dsk with TiDir and so try and use the programs with classic99.

for doing the inverse i use always the TI99-PC. (THANKYOU BAGNARESI!!!) :)

if someone suggestion me a better method i will glad to read !! :-D

Edited by ti99userclub

Penso che le vostre idee dell'archivio del disc siano molto buone. Gradisco personalmente l'idea direttamente di accesso “a del Classic99„ via uno scatto da un deposito di app.

Una cosa che vorrei vedere è una certa realmente buona video documentazione di questo roba… Ho fatto alcuno io stesso, ma non ha richiamato il metodo del dischetto.

Penso che le vostre idee dell'archivio del disc siano molto buone. Gradisco personalmente l'idea direttamente di accesso “a del Classic99„ via uno scatto da un deposito di app.

Una cosa che vorrei vedere è una certa realmente buona video documentazione di questo roba… Ho fatto alcuno io stesso, ma non ha richiamato il metodo del dischetto.

Hi Opry!

i understand that my English is not so good :), but please do not use google translator for write me in italian, i understand enought the written English !!! ;D instead for understand the italian phrase i'm translating italian to english again ;)

just one thing you looking for a video for how transfer ti99 to pc ?...

at the moment i'm very busy with other project and work but early i will try to do... ;)

I did not mean to offend you. =) Sorry about that... I just wanted to try the translator because I'd never tried it before.

I thought it would be fun. In any case, I WOULD like to see a video on using TI99-PC to format and write TI disks... I don't believe there is one out there. =)

:-o

I have not offended absolutely ... do not worry ... I inserted the smiley :) ... I consider you a friend, like many of this community ... ;)

If no other person will create the video as soon as I can I create ... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Marc,

Determining if a file is PC99 is pretty simple. There are only two valid sizes; 255KB and 537KB, or at least that's the size they come up in Windows 7.

Ernie

From a TI to A PC the operation is the same just a different set of commands in PC99-TI (I use menu selections (1-1) for V9T9.)

The only difficulty can be in determining what format the PC file is in (V9T9, PC-99 or TIFILES.)

Marc,

Determining if a file is PC99 is pretty simple. There are only two valid sizes; 255KB and 537KB, or at least that's the size they come up in Windows 7.

Ernie

Is that you Perganator ?

I used a program I wrote to do my floppy transfer, it does sector-based transfer across the serial port to read or write a disk.

I haven't used it in a long time, though, and modern stuff tends to be more popular. ;)

I used PC99 to transfer my entire SCSI hard drive about 600 megabytes of stuff. When I get done with RXB updated I will include all the BASIC, XB, GPL, C, LISP, and Assembly I have.

I wrote a XB program using RXB AMS and sector built into RXB to transfer files but was much slower then PC99 transfer program.

I am astounded that my version 2001 is not being used and everyone is using RXB version 1005, as 2000 had bugs in it so that was why I quickly released 2001.

Others asked about Pop cart and RXB cartridge. Horizon only made a few, OPA made many and Texcomp made quite few. Also a guy on the east coast was making his own and selling them.

Buy the way had a heck of a time getting the cables for hooking up the TI99/4A to the PC. Had to buy a old IBM 300PL and run Windows 98SE as none of my compters have a serial port.

If you need help with it just ask.

You know, if RXB can be put on cart, perhaps it's something we should consider doing? Rich, would you be willing to release your XB program binaries once you're finished? I have a pretty good feeling that many here on the forum would be more than willing to buy a cartridge from you... just a thought.

I find the features in RXB astounding--- if TI XB had been more like RXB, we'd all have been better for it. Thanks

I used a program I wrote to do my floppy transfer, it does sector-based transfer across the serial port to read or write a disk.

I haven't used it in a long time, though, and modern stuff tends to be more popular. ;)

I used PC99 to transfer my entire SCSI hard drive about 600 megabytes of stuff. When I get done with RXB updated I will include all the BASIC, XB, GPL, C, LISP, and Assembly I have.

I wrote a XB program using RXB AMS and sector built into RXB to transfer files but was much slower then PC99 transfer program.

I am astounded that my version 2001 is not being used and everyone is using RXB version 1005, as 2000 had bugs in it so that was why I quickly released 2001.

Others asked about Pop cart and RXB cartridge. Horizon only made a few, OPA made many and Texcomp made quite few. Also a guy on the east coast was making his own and selling them.

Buy the way had a heck of a time getting the cables for hooking up the TI99/4A to the PC. Had to buy a old IBM 300PL and run Windows 98SE as none of my compters have a serial port.

Hi RXB! welcome to the group. Yep, we really want to learn more about all the work you did on RXB. These really are exiting times :)

For what it's worth, the USB serial adapters work quite well for every application I've put them up to so far, and they are cheap and common, so the loss of legacy serial ports is not as bad as the loss of legacy parallel ports was. :)

Good to see ya RXB!!! Thanks for joining us over here. =)

I'm sure we can gain much knowledge from having your experience here.

Thanks just finished a new Super EA cart update.

Will include it with everything else when done.

You know, if RXB can be put on cart, perhaps it's something we should consider doing? Rich, would you be willing to release your XB program binaries once you're finished? I have a pretty good feeling that many here on the forum would be more than willing to buy a cartridge from you... just a thought.

I find the features in RXB astounding--- if TI XB had been more like RXB, we'd all have been better for it. Thanks

I released it as freeware years ago so I have no problem with it, but everyone seems to keep putting out the crappy versions with bugs like 2000 and ignore 2001 or 2002 so 2011 is on the way.

For what it's worth, the USB serial adapters work quite well for every application I've put them up to so far, and they are cheap and common, so the loss of legacy serial ports is not as bad as the loss of legacy parallel ports was. :)

LOL well as it stands my main compter is a MacPro Quad Xeon and it can not run any of the Emulators in 64 bit mode, but I have a XP drive and run it oddly enough it is 64bit Windows XP.

Where do you get the adapters for USB to serial Please?

Hi RXB! welcome to the group. Yep, we really want to learn more about all the work you did on RXB. These really are exiting times :)

Thanks glad to be here.

ebay?

http://shop.ebay.com...-All-Categories

DealExtreme.

http://s.dealextreme...usb+serial+port

I'm sure they come from China, so the lead time is like 2 weeks. I still want to know how these chines companies can make, package, and mail stuff to us for less than it costs us for a minimum postage charge.

Else newegg, buy.com or amazon or the like.

-H

Edited by unhuman

LOL well as it stands my main compter is a MacPro Quad Xeon and it can not run any of the Emulators in 64 bit mode, but I have a XP drive and run it oddly enough it is 64bit Windows XP.

RXB, I may have an extra one I can send you.. It's USB to db9, so you may need to find a db9-db25 adapter... The listings on eBay mostly come with this adapter... However if you've got the nano-PEB, the db9 is the correct connector. The CF7 and nano-PEB are pretty much what I use exclusively these days for transferring... of course, this works much better transferring FROM PC TO TI. The issue is, you cannot have a standard disk drive hooked up with the CF7, so if you're going FROM TI disk TO the PC, you will probably need the serial cable...

Let me know if you would like the adapter I have. I would happily donate it. BTW, the one I have came from http://www.sewelldev.com, and it's a far superior cable to the Chinese ones.

Any local computer shop should have them, they are madly common. As noted, Amazon or NewEgg or any online computer store, too. I wouldn't waste time importing them from myself.

Hey Marc, I use a few methods. Most of my work is with MESS and the Geneve emulator but the same for TI programs as well.

1. Single File transfers

a. TIDIR to extract the files from my DSK or HD image.

b. Geneve (or TI) is connected via RS232 to a UDS10 device (serial to ethernet)

c. Telnet connection from Geneve to PC

d. Transfer the file via Xmodem or

e. Transfer multiple files via Ymodem

2. Disk Image transfers

I use TI99PC when necessary. Since most of my files are already transferred, this option is rarely used.

3. Platter copies

I documented my process long ago; Michael Zapf used it to help create one of his utilities. I converted all of my platters for use with MESS in this manner:

a. Install SCSI card in PC

b. Connect EZ135 drive to PC SCSI card

c. Insert platter and perform sector copy (Winhex/similar)

d. Modify VIB

e. Convert image to MESS format using CHD utility

f. Use image within MESS

NOTE: All of these operations can be performed TI to PC // PC to TI.

4. Download disk images or files and use TIDIR to import into other images

TIDIR has some bugs with FIXED file manipulation, so be wary of importing files from one image to another.

I have finally got my hands on an IDE card and have discovered for myself yet another, easy and fast way to transfer to a TI (provided you have the IDE card...)

Fred Kahl has written a program called FATCOPY that enables the TI to read and copy PC formatted CF cards. My current project is Transferring about 500 disks of music files onto a scuzzy drive on my TI.

With the IDE card and FATCOPY I can simply plug the CF card into my PC and load it with disk images then unplug it and move it to the IDE card in the TI. At this point COPYFAT takes over and in TI99-PC fashion writes a selected disk to a RAM disk. I can do 9 at a time until I have to switch to DM2K, copy the RAM disk contents to the scuzzy directory. Then it's back to COPYFAT for another 9 disks.

It's really the same process as using TI99-PC only about 10 times faster as the floppy disk copy time is removed. Kind of roundabout and requires some hardware but yet another way.