IGNORED

New 5200 Conversion: Laser Gates

classics

As promised here is the first of three brand new 5200 conversions to go along with the Ultimate SD Cartridge release. :)

Laser Gates

lasergates.jpg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OHyVSyXCYk

The ROM image and a text manual formatted in 40 columns for use on the Ultimate SD is attached.

I don't have single game carts available for sale, but I'm sure the usual suspects will make them on request. :)

Steve

Laser Gates.txt

laser.bin

• Like 5

I forgot to mention, these new conversions are all standard 32K ROMs, there are not locked into using the Ultimate SD in any way.

You should be able use them on the USB cart, on eprom, or in an emulator. If you run into any glitches with them please send me a PM or post it here.

Steve

So, Ive been playing this for a while now and I think there is way too much "dead zone" for the joystick. You really need to push the stick to its extreme to get movement left or right. Up and Down seem a bit better but I would have a little less dead zone for them too. I checked my pokey adjustment via the test cart and my system is good.

Its a great game. Having lots of fun but I think the controls need to be tweaked just a bit.

• Like 1

As promised here is the first of three brand new 5200 conversions to go along with the Ultimate SD Cartridge release. :)

Laser Gates

lasergates.jpg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OHyVSyXCYk

The ROM image and a text manual formatted in 40 columns for use on the Ultimate SD is attached.

I don't have single game carts available for sale, but I'm sure the usual suspects will make them on request. :)

Steve

I've played this game for hours now. I LOVE IT. Thanks so much. Can you please make the dead zone for left and right a little less? With the stock controller you have to be straight left or right, the stick cant be up or down even a little bit. This is because there is no movement until the stick is at its extreme in that direction. Literally the metal shaft has to knock into the plastic of the joystick body before the ship moves. I've used about 5 different stock controllers and 2 different 5200 consoles to test.

This is much less noticeable with a Wico stick. Also the game works great with a Masterplay. However with stock sticks the problem said above really hurts the game play.

Please? :)

• Like 1

I'll try to make some adjustments and post a revised image for you to try asap.

Steve

Fantastic. I wonder why no one else comments on this. Could it be that every one is using a replacement for the stock controller ?? :)

Thanks Steve. Your efforts are well appreciated! I look forward to my SD cart and what ever else you come up with next!

Steve

Fantastic. I wonder why no one else comments on this. Could it be that every one is using a replacement for the stock controller ?? :)

Thanks Steve. Your efforts are well appreciated! I look forward to my SD cart and what ever else you come up with next!

I had noticed it as well (with a stock controller), but was just happy to have the conversion. A change so that movement didnt require such extreme action on the joystick would be much appreciated (as are all these efforts. :thumbsup: )

Edited by mckafka99

Steve

I'm using a Wico here.

Here are three versions assembled with larger window values for the adaptive joystick routines. They should still adapt to where the 'center' is in your controller, but require you to press the joystick to less extreme positions to get a response.

Let me know which one if any works better for you with stock controllers. :-)

Steve

lasergates_test.zip

Steve

I'm using a Wico here.

Here are three versions assembled with larger window values for the adaptive joystick routines. They should still adapt to where the 'center' is in your controller, but require you to press the joystick to less extreme positions to get a response.

Let me know which one if any works better for you with stock controllers. :-)

Steve

Ok, I only played a few games with each file but the w20 file seems to have the smallest deadzone making the controller much more responsive.

So the w20 file is the best.

Do you not have a stock controller? I'd be glad to give you one with all aluminum dot buttons. It's the least I could do for all your work.

I'm going to try the w20 file with my wico and masterplay just to make sure it plays ok with them as well.

• Like 1

Ok. Tested on a 4 port and a 2 port, 2 separate stock sticks, wico stick, master play with cx40.

w20 plays great with them all. w18 is pretty good too.

Its a lot better. You can actually move diagonal now with the stock stick. The 1st version I couldn't get much if any diagonal movement.

Ok. Tested on a 4 port and a 2 port, 2 separate stock sticks, wico stick, master play with cx40.

w20 plays great with them all. w18 is pretty good too.

Its a lot better. You can actually move diagonal now with the stock stick. The 1st version I couldn't get much if any diagonal movement.

Thanks for giving them a try. I think the original setting was what I used for the Flip and Flop conversion and it intentionally had a huge dead zone in the center to prevent the guy from making false moves too easily.

I'll change the others to similar settings before posting them. If you have any problem with those let me know.

Thank you very much for the offer of the controller. I do have a box of 5200 controllers around here but they are all in such bad disrepair from years of abuse I pretty much gave up even trying to mess with them after getting the wico with the keypad.

If controller problems keep cropping up I'll drop you a PM and take advantage of the offer, thanks again. :)

Steve

If the SD card has the ability to write a complete copy of a ROM, then it might be possible to write a program utilizing the read/write API that lets one adjust joystick values from a start up screen. It could read the values from a game ROM's pre-identified joystick locations, and then implant the adjusted values in the newly copied ROM through the save state function. Or is this way not possible?

Thank you very much for the offer of the controller. I do have a box of 5200 controllers around here but they are all in such bad disrepair from years of abuse I pretty much gave up even trying to mess with them after getting the wico with the keypad.

Well if you ever wanna get one or two of them in working order I'd be happy to fix them up. I have lots of parts here and I'd do all the buttons with aluminum contacts.

Offer is always there, just PM me. Wont cost anything but shipping to me.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...