IGNORED

Flashback and Syndicate

superjudge3

I've never played these games before and have only read about them. Do any of you enjoy the Jaguar versions and are they worth getting for about $10-15 for each? I know they're two different types of games but I want to get both and want to read your opinions on them. I think I vaguely remember someone saying they are both excellent?

If you have a Sega CD, I recommend getting Flashback on that. Or even a 3DO if you have one.. Well.. Any other version of Flashback would be a better choice, honestly.. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great game on the Jag (It is Flashback, afterall), but the port has slowdown and framerate issues that is absent from the other versions.

Syndicate, can't say too much about. I've played various console ports of it and it seemed sluggish.. I can't judge it too much though because I couldn't really get into it, nor did I play it very much.

• Like 1

If you have a Sega CD, I recommend getting Flashback on that. Or even a 3DO if you have one.. Well.. Any other version of Flashback would be a better choice, honestly.. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great game on the Jag (It is Flashback, afterall), but the port has slowdown and framerate issues that is absent from the other versions.

Syndicate, can't say too much about. I've played various console ports of it and it seemed sluggish.. I can't judge it too much though because I couldn't really get into it, nor did I play it very much.

Its funny you say that because at Jagfest in 2006 we had the 3DO and Jag versions of Flashback running side by side and apart from the videos the Jag version seemed much better and everyone there thought so. I also personally think its better than the Mega CD version too.

Not really a fan of either game but they are the best versions of each that I have played just not my kind of game.

Edited by The_Laird

Its funny you say that because at Jagfest in 2006 we had the 3DO and Jag versions of Flashback running side by side and apart from the videos the Jag version seemed much better and everyone there thought so. I also personally think its better than the Mega CD version too.

Five years is a long time.. Your memory may be foggy, buddy. ;) :D

• Like 2

Five years is a long time.. Your memory may be foggy, buddy. ;) :D

That would be the sweet alcohol :lol:

Syndicate has a very steep learning curve, and it's vital to read the manual. If you get past that, it is a great, very involving game.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I need a Jaguar game with some depth. Arcade style games are fun and that's why I love the Jaguar, but I need something with some serious replay value. Thanks

The jaguar version of flashback is as good as any other imo. It's a good game, so probably worth getting. Some of the most notable differences (from my vague recollection of when I compared them):

+FM Towns Marty: This is the only one with a real save feature (that saves after you shut off the console) iirc. It uses the original FMV sequences and there are black bars on the left and right so the artwork is not stretched. On the downside, you will only understand the plot if you can read japanese.

+Philips CDi: Uses the horribly redone FMV sequences and the colors are a little washed out. There are graphic borders on the left and right so the art is not streched.

+Atari Jaguar: Graphics are stretched to fit the screen, no borders on left or right. Uses original FMV Sequences (much nicer than the remade ones IMO).

+3DO: Graphics are also stretched to fit the screen, no borders on left or right. Uses remade FMV sequences.

There are also some other minor differences among them (sound effects, music, slowdown) that I do not think cause major interference. Never played the other versions.

Syndicate has a very steep learning curve, and it's vital to read the manual. If you get past that, it is a great, very involving game.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I need a Jaguar game with some depth. Arcade style games are fun and that's why I love the Jaguar, but I need something with some serious replay value. Thanks

Yes, Syndicate is one of the deepest games on the Jaguar. Once you learn and understand the rules and master the controls (which will take some time but not too long), it is a very, very satisfying game and you will be very happy that you played it. It will keep you coming back until you beat the game (which I have yet to do!). With the Jaguar controller being perfect for all of your tasks and the addition of a zoom feature that no other version has, I believe that the Jaguar Syndicate is easily the best console version of this super-classic 1990s game. Grab it!

Flashback is, quite simply, my favorite 2D platform game of all time. It's kind of like a 2D RPG action game. The Jaguar version is supposed to be one of the best. Flashback instantly draws you in and you won't want to stop until you have beat all 7 levels. Definitely an essential game for your collection.

I really like Syndicate, and the controls are no problem at all.

Like someone pointed out, read the manual.

Unfortunately Syndicate suffers from serious slowdown and so much, it isn't even funny!

In the first levels you'll notice the bad scrolling of the playfield, but it won't affect gameplay.

However, the bigger the levels, the more the speed of the game drops to a crawling level.

It will take forever to let your guys go from one place to another.

Syndicate is a great game, but it's gameplay is ruined by very bad programming IMO :(

I do not recall seeing a bad version of Flashback on any format as they are all quite similar to be honest so i would certainly choose Flashback!,its an interesting game and challenging later on.

But that price seems okay for Jag games anyway if your collecting or just curious ;-)

Edited by R.O.T.S

Unfortunately Syndicate suffers from serious slowdown and so much, it isn't even funny!

In the first levels you'll notice the bad scrolling of the playfield, but it won't affect gameplay.

However, the bigger the levels, the more the speed of the game drops to a crawling level.

Syndicate is a great game, but it's gameplay is ruined by very bad programming IMO :(

What you say is true and the reason is that Syndicate relies entirely on the M68000 processor, and doesn't utilize the Jaguar's powerful processors. (Thus, the cover art on the Jaguar Syndicate bragging about this version coming alive in "brilliant 64-bit power"

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=1110

is misleading.)

However, since the "next-gen" systems like the Playstation, Saturn, and N64 never got a port of the original Syndicate, the Jaguar version is still the best home console version, especially with its unique zoom feature that no other version has, and the Jaguar joypad, which is perfectly suited for a game like Syndicate.

Once you get your men's legs fully powered up (level 3 mods, I believe...or were there 5?), they're very fast. When they're fully powered up all around, they become absolute powerhouses. They can take a beating, regenerate their own health IIRC, and cruise around at a good clip.

There's a trick to leveling them up, too: once you've conquered a few countries, they'll pay in to your budget even between missions. So if you really want to, you can raise their taxes a little bit (not enough to make them revolt) and pour your cash into Research. You don't even have to play the mission, just let the game sit at the menu screens, and your research will be completed before too long. You can then go into the next mission with much more powerful agents than you would've had otherwise.

EDIT: Upon re-reading your post, I may have misunderstood it. Powering up your guys won't make the game run any faster. :)

Edited by PFG 9000

The Sega CD version has in-game music, which is a huge plus and really adds a lot to the game. The Jaguar version looks a little nicer though, and it has the original cinematics instead of the grainy re-done ones that the CD based platforms tend to have. If I had to pick between the two I'd probably say get the Sega CD one though. Whatever you do, stay away from the SNES one. The slowdown is horrible. You wouldn't think slowdown would be a huge issue on a game like Flashback, but there are certain sequences that are timed and it is very annoying.

Not really a fan of either game but they are the best versions of each that I have played just not my kind of game.

You sure that was 2006? I certainly can't remember a 3DO being there. Do you recall who brought it, or where it was in the room?

I think it was 2006 but it could have been 2005, I can't remember who brought it but I have a feeling it was GB13. I am pretty sure it was at the back of the room in the middle. I just distinctly remember us comparing versions and also remember it was the big Panasonic 3DO.

Edited by The_Laird

Syndicate is a great game, but it's gameplay is ruined by very bad programming IMO icon_sad.gif

What version of Syndicate are you comparing the Jaguar version to? In comparison to the Amiga version, the screen scrolls just as fast, but smoother in the Jag version (the Jag also has the exclusive zoom-in feature) and the characters move just as fast in the Jag version as they do in the the Amiga version. The Jaguar version also has in-game music, while the Amiga version doesn't. (maybe the Amiga CD32 version has in-game music) And just like PFG 9000 said, once you level up your cyborgs legs, they move around the screen much quicker in the later levels than they do in the early levels. The early levels are slow paced, while the later levels your characters are zipping around the playfield and the action is much more fast paced and frantic.

IF you had a high-end PC for the time, the PC version was the best, as the screen scrolling and character movement is slightly faster and the graphics are slightly better than the Amiga/Jaguar versions as well. The PC version also has in-game music, which sounds slightly better than the Jaguar version, but I'm also sure it depends on the quality of the sound card you had installed on your PC at the time.

The SNES and Genesis versions of Syndicate have been dumbed down and are totaly different than the computer and high end console versions.

@ Major Havoc 2049

I haven't compared the game to another version, and that's not the point.

Have you read the edit post from PFG 9000?

Also, just let the game run in demo mode, and show it to some people (without pink glasses) and ask them how smooth they think that the game runs and/or the scrolling is :)

It's just a shame that this cool game is not so great as it should be, due to lousy programming :(

@ Major Havoc 2049

I haven't compared the game to another version, and that's not the point.

Have you read the edit post from PFG 9000?

Also, just let the game run in demo mode, and show it to some people (without pink glasses) and ask them how smooth they think that the game runs and/or the scrolling is :)

It's just a shame that this cool game is not so great as it should be, due to lousy programming :(

It's really interesting, back in the day I had the patience and I repeated some missions over and over again even though slowdown was killing it (and me) again and again.

It's almost embarassing now since today I would say that the game is broken. Back then I fiddled around with it that much until I found the right timing in some passages where the slowdowns where bad that I made it through.