IGNORED

Caution - Ebay Amiga 500 boxed

coleconut

Saw this Amiga 500 on Ebay

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2305890936111?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=230589093611&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Claims to be untested due to no availability of a monitor. Sounds fair enough.

Then I see this on Kijiji.

kijiji ad 500.doc

Making the Ebay listing deceptive.

Thought I'd post this if someone was hoping to get a working boxed Amiga cheap. May be DOA

Edited by coleconut

Availability of monitor is BS. Any asshat can hook an A500 to a TV/monitor as they ALL have black and white composite output.

This is true. However, I've had Amiga computers since 1990.... and if there is anything wrong with it, it's probably just the CIA chips. Very easy to fix. Those things are notorious for blowing out easily, but they are socketed for easy replacement.

Iggy*SJB' date='Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:38 AM' timestamp='1298738318' post='2219973']

This is true. However, I've had Amiga computers since 1990.... and if there is anything wrong with it, it's probably just the CIA chips. Very easy to fix. Those things are notorious for blowing out easily, but they are socketed for easy replacement.

I've heard people say they're easy to blow up, but I too have had Amigas since '87. Added up, probably have had two dozen different machines throughout the years. Not ONCE have I experienced a blown CIA chip on any of them. Until now. I suspect one of the CIA's in my A3000 might have something wrong with it as button #2 on a 2-button joystick does not work. That's literally the only problem I've ever had hardware wise with any of my Miggy's. Talk about robust!

Usually people selling items like that who claim they don't have a working display to test state something like "Power light comes on but no display to test fully". It does seem odd an Amiga 500 shows up on ebay with the same exact pictures and location of seller but different description.

Now maybe the seller realized how to at least check if the computer has power but doesn't know how to hook the unit up to a display with composite video. My suggestion to anyone interested is as the seller if they have power tested the unit and if so then ask them why they haven't tried hooking it up to a display since it sounds like all the cables are there.

Usually people selling items like that who claim they don't have a working display to test state something like "Power light comes on but no display to test fully". It does seem odd an Amiga 500 shows up on ebay with the same exact pictures and location of seller but different description.

Now maybe the seller realized how to at least check if the computer has power but doesn't know how to hook the unit up to a display with composite video. My suggestion to anyone interested is as the seller if they have power tested the unit and if so then ask them why they haven't tried hooking it up to a display since it sounds like all the cables are there.

Both the Kijiji ad and the Ebay auction went up the same day. I confronted them saying that if they plugged it in and it wouldnt power up wasnt this a "test" albeit a failed test and therefore isnt the Ebay auction description innaccurate or even deceptive?

Reply was something like "thanks for advising me that someone stole my picture off ebay and put it up on a fake ad on Kijiji." then the ad on kijiji immediately was removed. Yeah right!

Iggy*SJB' date='Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:38 AM' timestamp='1298738318' post='2219973']

I've heard people say they're easy to blow up, but I too have had Amigas since '87. Added up, probably have had two dozen different machines throughout the years. Not ONCE have I experienced a blown CIA chip on any of them. Until now. I suspect one of the CIA's in my A3000 might have something wrong with it as button #2 on a 2-button joystick does not work. That's literally the only problem I've ever had hardware wise with any of my Miggy's. Talk about robust!

I've done lots of add-ons to my Amiga's over the years, and if you hook it up and leave it sit without plugging things in and out of it, the CIA's usually last. I was always switching this and that, and moving it around... which will occasionally result in a static charge and blow out a CIA. Not to sidetrack the thread, but did you ever do the "battery hack" to your 3000 so that a leaky battery won't damage your motherboard? I didn't learn about it until after the motherboard in mine had been damaged beyond repair.

I've got a 4000T, now.... but I don't use it much. I'm considering selling it, but I have to mark down all the boards and whatnot that's in that beast.

Iggy*SJB' date='Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:13 PM' timestamp='1298747622' post='2220064']

Not to sidetrack the thread, but did you ever do the "battery hack" to your 3000 so that a leaky battery won't damage your motherboard? I didn't learn about it until after the motherboard in mine had been damaged beyond repair.

Yep, have done that to my A3000's and A2000's. Coin battery 2232 with a diode. A trace was bad on my A3000 because of some minor acid damage, but it was easy enough to repair with a little solder, some wire and a DMM set to continuity testing.

Both the Kijiji ad and the Ebay auction went up the same day. I confronted them saying that if they plugged it in and it wouldnt power up wasnt this a "test" albeit a failed test and therefore isnt the Ebay auction description innaccurate or even deceptive?

Reply was something like "thanks for advising me that someone stole my picture off ebay and put it up on a fake ad on Kijiji." then the ad on kijiji immediately was removed. Yeah right!

Well then that changes things, sucks someone is probably going to get ripped off by the seller.

Well then that changes things, sucks someone is probably going to get ripped off by the seller.

Not to mention the shipping charges that are inflated about 80%

10 Kg (22 lbs) domestically is 20-something dollars and to the US is 30-something.

Not to mention the shipping charges that are inflated about 80%

10 Kg (22 lbs) domestically is 20-something dollars and to the US is 30-something.

True but I'm just wondering is it possible the seller knows he could be asked for a refund full/partial on the item when it doesn't work which he will grudgingly give to the buyer but refuse to refund any shipping chages? Just a wild guess.