IGNORED

Correct pronunciation of Coleco

tz101

koh-LEE-koh.

Never heard it said any other way.

I've never heard it mispronounced. Misspelled yes (COLLECO, for example).

I have seen signs, and I dont know the origin of them, but there is an accent on the E which from grammar school tells me its to be pronounced as a "long e" as in Lee not short as in bet or silent as in cole.

Oh yeah, it appears that way on the Telstar for one example.

post-18191-12987946277_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

For the ones who have not heard it mispronounced, the common butchered version is "Cole" (as in Nat King Cole), followed by a "Kō" (long "o") sound. No "ē" in the middle.

What planet did they come from?

They come from a planet called France, mostly. You might have heard of them, they have an outpost in Quebec. ;)

Most french people pronounce it "Ko-lé-ko", or "Ko-ley-co" if you prefer. But whenever I've heard the name said in English, it's always been "Ko-Lee-Ko".

I'm officially going to start doing it like an SNK fighting game announcer from now on to educate the public. When referring to the Coleco I will announce it as CO-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK-COOOOOooooooo! Long and drawn out.

In this corner we have CO-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK-COOOOOooooooo! Are we ready to rumble!?

AX

I have seen signs, and I dont know the origin of them, but there is an accent on the E which from grammar school tells me its to be pronounced as a "long e" as in Lee not short as in bet or silent as in cole.

After seeing the logo as shown, why would even people from Quebec or France pronounce the "e" as silent? It is apparent with the line over the "e" that it is to be pronounced as a long "e" sound.

After seeing the logo as shown, why would even people from Quebec or France pronounce the "e" as silent? It is apparent with the line over the "e" that it is to be pronounced as a long "e" sound.

Wait, what do you mean "silent"? Who neglects to pronounce the "e" in "Coleco"? Certainly not anyone in Quebec!

Seems I misread your earlier post, tz101. :)

This topic of the "correct way to say words" is just annoying. Can we talk about something else?

I've put as unlisted one of my most viewed Youtube videos because of comments about the way the computer generated voice say "coleco"; I was getting more comments on that instead of what was presented in the video. Well, you can't blame the computer generated voice, there is no word in english where "lec" is followed immediatly by a vowel, so it says "colec" like in the word "collection".

So, this is just annoying specially when we are talking about words that are not real words anyway... like the Nintendo Entertainment System, I've heard people refers it as "the Nintendo", "the N.E.S.", "the NESsss", "the NEZzzz", even "the american famicom"... do you think there is one correct way or just the way you are familiar with is fine? If I tell you that at least 90% of the people here can't say "Cirque du Soleil" correctly, will it makes you consider that you should try to say it the "correct" way or simply keep saying it the way you've heard it, the way you are familiar with?

The best way to prononce Coleco is the way you are falimiar with. I've heard so many ways and I don't consider them wrong when they are not like the way I say it... I admit that a long "e" makes it partialy sounds like, to me, the word "colibri" ( the hummingbird ) and I don't consider my good old ColecoVision to be a bird. You say "co-lee-co", good for you, but don't mind if I say "coléco". It's the same game system we are talking about and it's all that's important.

And I don't fell ashame to say "coléco" because even the official logo (well, at least the one used on Coleco pong clones) do have an accent.

"The correct way" is so an hateful subject... just look at all the variations to practice a single religion, will you start a discussion about the correct way to practice a religion? or the way people are familiar with is fine and we can talk about something else? Did I mention that I don't like this kind of subject? I hate this!

This topic of the "correct way to say words" is just annoying. Can we talk about something else?

In this topic? No. That's what this one's about.

"The correct way" is so an hateful subject... just look at all the variations to practice a single religion, will you start a discussion about the correct way to practice a religion? or the way people are familiar with is fine and we can talk about something else?

That's fine and all, but right is right and wrong is wrong. Sometimes there's not much difference but sometimes there is. Somebody on the 2600 forums got creative with inserting their VCS cart in the system & cracked the case.

• Like 1

English is a screwed up language. It's the bastard child of bunches of languages, trying to fit each of the language's rules. So what we end up with are letters that each can have 2-3 sounds, and letter combinations that have even more. It's understandable that even a native English speaker is going to get a word wrong every now and then, even more so a non-native speaker.

Proper names are different than common words. My name here is "SlowCoder". If I want, I can pronounce it "BigBobsToughBikes". Out of courtesy, you'd need to address me by that pronounciation. So the name Coleco, pronounced "Ko-Lee-Ko" is the only proper way to pronounce it.