IGNORED

5200 VCS Adapter Mod

qberticus

I'm almost positive Best Electronics sells the Atari-distributed retrofit kit that the Authorized Factory Service Centers ® themselves used to perfrom the modification, for $5.00. The only drawback is that, at least the last time I ordered, there was a minimum credit card order of about $15, I think (but it might have been $12, might have been $20).

The kit includes detailed instructions, as well as a few specific resistors and wires.

Just to be clear, it is the 5200 that is modified, NOT the VCS adapter.

Best Electronics

I'm almost positive Best Electronics sells the Atari-distributed retrofit kit that the Authorized Factory Service Centers ® themselves used to perfrom the modification, for $5.00. The only drawback is that, at least the last time I ordered, there was a minimum credit card order of about $15, I think (but it might have been $12, might have been $20).  

I checked but didnt see it, which is why I posted here. I sent them an email asking if they still had it, since I don't have a full BE catalog. If anyone has the instructions to do it, can you PM them to me?

Chris

• 7 years later...

Please forgive or at least overlook the necro-post, but I'm trying to find pictures of this mod installed on a 5200. I have the instructions and the kit but the instructions refer to photos that are not included. Can anyone help a brother out?

thanks in advance

D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Necro'ing this post again.

Best Electronics does list the part.

Atari 5200 4 port Motherboard PCB part number CA018087 (see 5200 4 port left front top side corner for the Atari 5200 PCB part number) retro fit kit for the above CX55 2600 adapter.   Kit requires soldering, cutting 5200 Cartridge connector pins and soldering on a wire harness with components attached to the 5200 4 port motherboard.  Kit Includes components, wire hardness with components, Atari Engineering installation instructions.  CB101184 $5.00

No problem about necrobumps; as I see it, it's better to bump an old topic than to start a new, redundant one.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible for an A/V-modded 5200 to use the CX55 adapter, even if it means making further modifications to the A/V mod?  (I'm thinking in particular of a four-port 5200 which supported the adapter prior to the A/V mod.)

The main issue with most AV mods on the 5200 was the fact that they were intercepting the video out from the GTIA. In thinking about this, the UAV doesn't prevent the video from still working on RF so I wonder if anyone has actually tested a VCS adapter on a 2-port or modified 4-port with a UAV installed? I actually don't own a VCS adapter as I never needed one with the 2600s and 7800s I have on hand already.

On 7/11/2019 at 11:43 PM, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

The main issue with most AV mods on the 5200 was the fact that they were intercepting the video out from the GTIA. In thinking about this, the UAV doesn't prevent the video from still working on RF so I wonder if anyone has actually tested a VCS adapter on a 2-port or modified 4-port with a UAV installed? I actually don't own a VCS adapter as I never needed one with the 2600s and 7800s I have on hand already.

I currently have the Sophia mod, and it also doesn't kill the RF output.  Was thinking of ordering the mod from Best, but then again it sounds like the 2600 games will only go out the RF, and it's a bit on the fuzzy side!