IGNORED

Purple ColecoVision Box ?

NIAD

It would be sweet to find them in the wild. are they prototypes only?

Yes, they are prototypes only

I wished they would made it to the final design :(

What were the rollers used for? Sorry I know nothing about ColecoVision's but was watching this topic as I was curious what the box would go for.

They were supposed to be used as 'speed controls', likely to speed up or slow down the characters your control. I guess it's possible they could have been used as a CPU throttle, but not sure that type of technology even existed in the early 80's. For whatever reason, the spinner wasn't included as a stock item with the Colecovision, but was included with the Super Action Controllers and used in sports games mainly.

While it was a cool concept, it really always felt kind of futile to me using them as they never really seemed to impact the 'speed', but rather just kind of seemed to control the direction a player would run in a few of the sports games. Shame, too, because the style and comfort of the Super Action controller makes it my favorite classic controller. ;)

Think they were having problems with the Speed Roller and this caused them to drop it from the Hand Controller, but they were able to straighten things out and include it on the Super Action Controller. A large portion, not all, of the Hand Controller PCBs actually have the circuit for the Speed Roller... it just wasn't used obviously.

If I recall correctly, the Super Action Controller Speed Roller actually does work in the "Smurf - Rescue in Gargamel's Castle" game... your character moves faster when to spin the wheel. Seeing as Smurf Rescue was one of the earlier games completed for the CV (not sure of the exact order but I think it was 1. Cosmic Avenger, 2. Donkey Kong, 3. Smurf, 4. Mouse Trap...), it would make sense to have this feature implemented in one of these games that were available when the system was released.

Time to test it out!

Think they were having problems with the Speed Roller and this caused them to drop it from the Hand Controller, but they were able to straighten things out and include it on the Super Action Controller. A large portion, not all, of the Hand Controller PCBs actually have the circuit for the Speed Roller... it just wasn't used obviously.

If I recall correctly, the Super Action Controller Speed Roller actually does work in the "Smurf - Rescue in Gargamel's Castle" game... your character moves faster when to spin the wheel. Seeing as Smurf Rescue was one of the earlier games completed for the CV (not sure of the exact order but I think it was 1. Cosmic Avenger, 2. Donkey Kong, 3. Smurf, 4. Mouse Trap...), it would make sense to have this feature implemented in one of these games that were available when the system was released.

Time to test it out!

If you ask me why they drop the Speed Roller on the regular controller, I would say:

At the time the Speed Roller Controller were designed, the Super Action Controller were in development, you can clearly see prototypes of them at the earlier design of the CV

They drop it mainly because they had another controller (The Super Action) and they designed games using it ... (Super Action Baseball and Football, were at time called: Super Action Head to Head Baseball and Football)

They'll sell another product (Super Action Controller) and made more cash out of it because the speed roller is exclusively used on SA Controllers

As for the earlier game using the speed roller, like smurf, I would say that is really interesting and I'll test this right after this message ;)

BTW: My two cents ;)

:ponder: Pondering how hard it would be to take the roller out of SA sticks and put them in a regular controller. Limited edition yurkie? ;-)

AX

Humm .... I would be up for one at least! :D

Since you need the additional fire buttons of the SAC for it to be useful I don't see it being practical

Thanks for thinking of me though :)

Time to test it out!

If you ask me why they drop the Speed Roller on the regular controller, I would say:

At the time the Speed Roller Controller were designed, the Super Action Controller were in development, you can clearly see prototypes of them at the earlier design of the CV

They drop it mainly because they had another controller (The Super Action) and they designed games using it ... (Super Action Baseball and Football, were at time called: Super Action Head to Head Baseball and Football)

They'll sell another product (Super Action Controller) and made more cash out of it because the speed roller is exclusively used on SA Controllers

As for the earlier game using the speed roller, like smurf, I would say that is really interesting and I'll test this right after this message ;)

Just tested Smurf myself and it has no affect... I know I read something, somewhere, recently that made reference to the speed roller having an affect on a character in a game that wasn't one of the Super Action sports titles. I gotta learn to write this stuff down instead of relying on bookmarks... gotta go retro with a paper and pen! :D

Time to test it out!

Just tested Smurf myself and it has no affect... I know I read something, somewhere, recently that made reference to the speed roller having an affect on a character in a game that wasn't one of the Super Action sports titles. I gotta learn to write this stuff down instead of relying on bookmarks... gotta go retro with a paper and pen! :D

The speed roller "option" could have been removed from the final version of Smurf Rescue though.....

Try the spinner on Antarctic Adventure. :)

I think the speed control would have been better utilized as a "paddle" style controller for games like Arkanoid.

The spinner doesn't work that way. Simply put, if you were to implement spinner support in a CV version of Arkanoid, you'd need to spin the spinner like crazy just to get the Vaus to move a little bit sideways. It really doesn't work like a paddle controller at all.

The spinner doesn't work that way. Simply put, if you were to implement spinner support in a CV version of Arkanoid, you'd need to spin the spinner like crazy just to get the Vaus to move a little bit sideways. It really doesn't work like a paddle controller at all.

Oh I know. But it would have been cool if it did work like a paddle.

I could be done... but I think the arkanoid player bar would have to move in set increments since the switches on the spinner act more like button pushes and actual analog controls. For every half turn of the spinner, it's effectively a button push if I understand it right.

...Which makes me think Track and Field could be one HELLUVA spinner conversion game! :)