IGNORED

Questions about my New Heavy Sixer Stuff

Miss 2600

I finally got a genuine Heavy Sixer! It came with heavy sixer style joysticks (never had these before), paddles (with the Atari logo), and grey power supply. I have a couple questions:

The console plays fine, but the connector to the switch box looks corroded. It has black spots on it. Should I clean it and, if so, what should I use?

post-2105-12988481845_thumb.jpg

The paddles work great! No jiggling at all! One of the joysticks doesn't work well, the other one works fine but squeaks (they both squeak). The rubber material on both joysticks has popped out. Is there a way to fix that? I see the openings the rubber pieces go into, but can't put them back together.

post-2105-129884873296_thumb.jpg

The power adapter worked for a second and then the console lost power. I used my black power supply from my Sear Light Sixer and it worked fine. I actually bought another grey power adapter off eBay before buying this Heavy Sixer. I was regretting that since another one came with the Heavy Sixer, but I'm glad to have it now.

• Like 2

The console plays fine, but the connector to the switch box looks corroded. It has black spots on it. Should I clean it and, if so, what should I use?

The rubber material on both joysticks has popped out. Is there a way to fix that?

The power adapter worked for a second and then the console lost power. I used my black power supply from my Sear Light Sixer and it worked fine.

The RF cable end can be shined up with steel wool if one so desires, but the black oxidized look should not really impede operation of the console.

Best fix for the rubber stick boots is to take the joystick cases apart from the bottom by removing the screws. Then, just pop the rubber stick boots into the top casing from the bottom side. Afterward, just screw it all back together.

The gray power adapter sounds like it has bit the dust. I had one like that and there is not much you can do.

• Like 1

I probably wouldn't bother since it works fine, but if you want to clean off the black spot, you can use a mild abrasive, like a pencil eraser or very fine grit sandpaper, and/or use "Caig De-Oxit" to make it conduct better and keep it from getting any worse. I've never messed with the original joysticks. Might take one apart and see if you can put it back together right. I don't think they are complicated...just a couple of screws.

• Like 1

Best fix for the rubber stick boots is to take the joystick cases apart from the bottom by removing the screws. Then, just pop the rubber stick boots into the top casing from the bottom side. Afterward, just screw it all back together.

The gray power adapter sounds like it has bit the dust. I had one like that and there is not much you can do.

I never thought of taking it apart. Good idea. I'll probably try fixing the one that doesn't work well first and see how it goes. I'll probably keep using my "Top" style joysticks for regular playing. It is just nice to finally have a couple older style joysticks in my collection.

• Like 2

Strange. I fiddled with the grey power supply (jiggling it, taking the plug out and putting it back in a few times--no bad jokes, please :P) and now it is working. Maybe it needed to be woken up like an Activision cartridge. Anyway, this Heavy Sixer might become my main playing console as the power supply plug fits better. It is a tad loose on my Tele-games console and, once in a while, I'd be playing a game and the power will suddenly go out.

The power adapter worked for a second and then the console lost power.
That's not true. Other than a smashed case, wire break near the console plug or totally ruined cable, most DC adapter failures can be fixed. For a heavy sixer adapter, if necessary you could even replace the entire cable with one from a "standard" 2600 adapter, though it wouldn't look the same. I have repaired internal cable breaks near the wall block many times; and even replaced capacitors, diodes and a transformer or two inside the cubes.

How is "ferrite" pronounced?
I've never looked it up but I've laways pronounced it to rhyme with "airtight". Edited by A.J. Franzman
  • Like 1

Anyway, this Heavy Sixer might become my main playing console as the power supply plug fits better. It is a tad loose on my Tele-games console and, once in a while, I'd be playing a game and the power will suddenly go out.

Cool those heavy sixers have a DEEP cart slot don't they? It's like looking down a well. (bein' real I is, not dirty)

I have the same problem with my light 6'er woodgrain. The power supply in the back of the system, cuts out. I have to turn it slightly and "push" to make sure enough power is going in. This is the original supply it came with too.

Or could it be our consoles circuit board being iffy?

I have the same problem with my light 6'er woodgrain. The power supply in the back of the system, cuts out. I have to turn it slightly and "push" to make sure enough power is going in. This is the original supply it came with too.

Or could it be our consoles circuit board being iffy?

Just got myself a light sixer that was doing the same thing. Had the console apart anyway to clean off 30 years of dust, dirt and what I really hope was chocolate :P , and discovered the AC adapter connector solder points were all loose.

• Like 2