IGNORED

KJMann s-video upgrade

...Great! Astounding...

I have two of these mods; one donated (yet to be fitted), and the latest revision board which I've just installed in a client's 800XL. Now, I've never been a fan of stock Atari video output through a CRT, but chroma/luma has never looked this good through my 1084S:

post-21964-129910069063_thumb.jpg

post-21964-129910069545_thumb.jpg

post-21964-129910069971_thumb.jpg

I've got to be honest and say my expectations weren't high while I was wiring this little board up, but the resulting picture has totally taken my breath away (I should add that I took the RF modulator out of this 800XL).

But would the picture be as good through a quality LCD panel? Yes, absolutely glorious:

post-21964-12991010493_thumb.jpg

That's every bit as good as my "Ultravideo" 800XL, with the advantage that the same computer looks equally stunning through a CRT monitor.

Sal has surprised me with this uncomplicated but highly effective little board, and it gets the flashjazzcat seal of approval. It does exactly what it says on the tin and I'm tripping over myself to order another couple of these. Any of my Ataris which doesn't have a VBXE in them are gonna get one of these babies. icon_mrgreen.gif

Edited by flashjazzcat

Any of my Ataris which doesn't have a VBXE in them are gonna get one of these babies. icon_mrgreen.gif

I ordered an s-video mod for my Atari 400 from Sal too...

I will try to post pics and feedback when i receive it.

I just hope it will come with installation guidelines!! :)

Here is the 400 board... (see below).

post-25989-129910377499_thumb.jpg

Do you have a pic of yours??

Very nice. Would go great in my 800xl.

Does this require installing a dedicated s-video socket, or can we use the on board 5 pin din still? Would like to run luma and chroma to their associate pins on the monitor port.

Hit site says "Note: Tech Support Not Available for the Atari 400 or 5200. Use at your own risk for these systems." This alludes to the fact that while possible it isn't specifically supported. Has anyone got any info on using this on 5200?

AX

Actually The 400 has Worked according to a friend of mine that i sent it to (I just haven't updated the website yet). he is supposed to send me some pics of the install although he has been very busy with a death in his family. I'm sure I will get them soon though and I will include them in the S-Video instructions Photos. =)

The Boards no longer look like that. they are now much smaller.

By the way, Thanks for the nice Review John. Glad you liked it. =)

Does this require installing a dedicated s-video socket, or can we use the on board 5 pin din still? Would like to run luma and chroma to their associate pins on the monitor port.

Sal's destructions suggest a dedicated s-video socket and an RCA for audio, but I found it far more convenient to cut the 800XLs's luma line (it has no chroma, of course), and rig the output from the board straight to the exisiting DIN 5. This is the approach I will use with any other similar mods I fit to my own machines.

I also would like to know how this works, i do remember seeing that the audio out gets routed through a different port afterwards.

I would suggest that it's down to the user's discretion what he does with the audio (with reference to the previous reply). It probably depends what kind of cable you have in mind, and whether you're considering a stereo board, etc.

No problem Sal. It's deserved. The upgrade does its job superbly and I hope it's helpful for other members of the community to be aware that this mod is such a solid and effective option for improved video quality.

Hit site says "Note: Tech Support Not Available for the Atari 400 or 5200. Use at your own risk for these systems." This alludes to the fact that while possible it isn't specifically supported. Has anyone got any info on using this on 5200?

AX

Actually The 400 has Worked according to a friend of mine that i sent it to (I just haven't updated the website yet). he is supposed to send me some pics of the install although he has been very busy with a death in his family. I'm sure I will get them soon though and I will include them in the S-Video instructions Photos. =)

The Boards no longer look like that. they are now much smaller.

you can send me one, and i will do a full review on it with pics. i need to do the 48k upgrade to my 400 anyways... :')

sloopy.

I'd like to compare it to my previously modded 400, see if the video qulaity is better or worse...

and if the board is smaller how about a picture sal?

Better or worse? I haven't gotten around to even thinking about doing mine (400 with 5200 mod). You say it's not so great, then? As good as 800 (beige) or 130XE? I'm thinking "not" since you're still interested?

Edited by wood_jl

and if the board is smaller how about a picture sal?

Here's a photo of the rev 3.0 board (with one of the switch resistors experimentally disconnected):

post-21964-129919053152_thumb.jpg

You can download the installation instructions from Sal's website. Basically, luma and chroma are sourced from two well-chosen hookup points on the board. Luma goes through a resistor and straight to the jack (I'm unsure of the resistor on the board, but I've found 82 ohms to be agreeable). Chroma goes through a cap and straight to the jack. Sal's board has provision for a switch. The rev 2.0 board of which I - by lucky hap - came into possession has a profusion of plate-through holes and dead-end cross-over tracks, the purpose of which completely eludes me. One track traverses the entire board diagonally and isn't connected to anything at all. The rev 3.0 board in the photo is rather more simplified. Presumably rev 4.0 is even more rationalized...

Edited by flashjazzcat

Do these work on the 1200XL?

Perfectly. All My 1200XL's that I have been selling have them already installed. =)

Sal's board has provision for a switch. The rev 2.0 board of which I - by lucky hap - came into possession has a profusion of plate-through holes and dead-end cross-over tracks, the purpose of which completely eludes me. One track traverses the entire board diagonally and isn't connected to anything at all. The rev 3.0 board in the photo is rather more simplified. Presumably rev 4.0 is even more rationalized..

The Switch is a simple adjustment for chroma strength. This can have a major effect on 2 things...

2. the reduced setting (Switch Closed) can help to get rid of or at least seriously reduce clock lines (vertical banding) on some LCD monitors that might get that Effect.
  3. the stronger setting (Switch open) can make Using a S-Video to composite Video Adapter (S-Video to RCA) Have Less Shadows and Stronger Color.

Having received this pre-installed on a 1200XL from KJMann, all I can say is "OMFGWTFBBQ!" Best. A8. S-Video. Output. Ever.

The 1200XL will be getting VBXE when availability and economics make it possible, but I'm thinking my 130XE will be getting one of these too.

Edited by HiroProX

Perfectly. All My 1200XL's that I have been selling have them already installed. =)

Sal please check you email! :thumbsup:

Sorry about that iratasan. I had not Re-Installed Yahoo Messenger yet after a nasty Virus Attack on my Windows PC on monday. it Lets me know when I have an Email.

A Response has been sent to you. =)

Sal please check you email! :thumbsup:

Sorry about that iratasan. I had not Re-Installed Yahoo Messenger yet after a nasty Virus Attack on my Windows PC on monday. it Lets me know when I have an Email.

A Response has been sent to you. =)

I was wondering why you haven't replied to my emails. When you have time could you send me a quick response?

Edited by NML32

Cool - I'll probably pick one up once I get my 1200XL from Bob. I see you don't have instructions specifically for the 1200XL in your downloadable package on your site (unless I'm missing it). Are they the same as the 800XL?