IGNORED

Would you play Resident Evil on the jag?

greencoman

Any updates?

I merely skimmed this thread (haven't read all 8 pages), but there didn't seem to any actual development started (even if local, and/or non-public). It was all just brainstorming and wishful thinking.

That being said, when pushed to the limits, jag would be able to comfortably render 2 animated characters (one on GPU, another on DSP), fully textured, in a useable framerate (~15 fps).

From what I recall, ResidentEvil had much, much more than 2, in plenty rooms, so it'd have to be butchered. Also, detailed textures look like crap in low resolution (just a garbled pixel mess), so it'd be much better to ditch the textured characters, and rather go for some shading. At which point, it's not really RE anymore :)

Of course, you could go for really low-res textures, so it's not such a pixel mess, but the visual difference between shading and low-res textures is very low, while performance difference is drastic (e.g. not worth it butchering the framerate and using lowres textures).

While I haven't tried texturing in 768x200 yet, I'm afraid jag doesn't have the power to texture at such high resolution at any sort of useable framerate for generic 3D meshes (it can texture something like a road at that res, though - so useable for driving game). And good luck aiming at sub-10 fps in a game like this...

• Like 1

Is this assuming an attempt at a Jag-CD, or cart? I'd assumed a cart was completely out of the question.

Not necessarily, "completely" out of the question:

- The 2D backgrounds can be rendered on demand by a 3D engine - at that point it doesn't really matter how fast jag is at texturing, as it's only rendering a single frame (when you change screens)

- the lighting can be done using lightmaps - you just need to adjust your texturing routine to also sample the lightmap and merge them during texturing

- a big house (with some reasonable 3D compression) would take about 0.25 MB as a 3D mesh

- character animations would take about as much as well. With textures, we're looking into about 1.5 MB worth of data, streamed on demand from cart into RAM. if you have bigger cart, you can have more art assets...

- obviously, additional rooms of various shapes can be generated at run-time (loading time), procedurally (just combining various props - e.g. tables, frames, bookcases, chairs, ...)

- same goes with lights - you can just cycle number of lights, their color and intensity, and each playthrough will look different,as it's up to the 3D engine to create the final composite 2D image, based on those parameters

- it won't look as good as a static 3D render from 3dsmax, but it can still look very good, due to 16-bit color

Considering how much 3D rendering I can do just on GPU at 60 fps, I'm fairly confident, that if I spent 60 such frames (e.g. 1 second) to render the image, and used also DSP - that basically equals the computing power of GPU (just gotta be mindful of how much data you transfer due to 16-bit bus) - that gives us roughly 100-120 frames worth of GPU time.

That's quite a lot of GPU time for some basic texturing+lightmaping. Literally, 2 orders of magnitude more than during real-time 3D game.

Not going to read through all 8 pages..

But with so many different versions avaiable already, simple answer is no.

https://www.gamesradar.com/resident-evil-20-years-later-many-faces-biohazard/

I bought the HD Remake on PS3 a few years ago, as had loved it on G.C, couldn't stomach the tank controls.

Would i of liked to of seen the Jaguar have a decent Horror game of it's own in the style of Alone In The Dark, using plain shaded polygons? Yes.

But press would of torn into it for looking dated, just as they did the likes of AITD II on PS1.

8 pages? Heh, no. I'll say it depends on the resident evil you make. The original one would be no problem for jag as it's all static or limited animation 2d images. Would I play it on jag? Sure, but then I never finished it in psx. I loved the idea of the game, but not the horrid tank controlls and super slow game play.

8 pages? Heh, no. I'll say it depends on the resident evil you make. The original one would be no problem for jag as it's all static or limited animation 2d images. Would I play it on jag? Sure, but then I never finished it in psx. I loved the idea of the game, but not the horrid tank controlls and super slow game play.

Never understood why people find tank controls annoying, they're so easy to use, and lack of ease of control is sort of the point in RE

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I like to kick around some ideas. I always thought making a port of Resident Evil on the jaguar would be fun. Its not a question of whether or not it could be done and if the jaguar could handle it. I just wanna know would people play it?

I feel like the OP is pretty important though

Could probably run tbh, the Jaguar was probably as powerful as the Dreamcast

This is missing a smiley or is an ironic post right?

In terms of what we saw from Commercial coding teams at it's peak, the 32X out did it with Metal Head in terms of texture mapping for a Mech Game (game itself awful), MK 2 was better than the clones which appeared on Jaguar.

Virtua Racing Deluxe or Checkered Flag II?

Virtua Fighter or Fight For Life?

• Like 1

Sorry, it's been a really rough week.

I have been drinking.

But what on earth is the obsession in parts of the Jaguar community with seeing the Jaguar have cut down versions of games you can play easily enough on all manner of systems in this day and age?

Gran Turismo/Tomb Raider/Quake/Need For Speed/Road Rash etc etc?

If your after inferior to the original versions of games...try Saturn Quake,PS1 Road Rash and Need For Speed.

Want weaker Resident Evil experience? Try Saturn Deep Fear or for a truly awful survival horror experience, AITD on PS3 or 360... an utterly dire instalment of a once great franchise.

People piss n moan about how the ST ports aren't tapping into true power of the Jaguar, without really having a clue just what is required from the hardware to make them run...ST has a 68000 ...Jaguar has a 68000...must be a doddle for hardware and coders.. (sigh).

Don't people want things like Fallen Angels or unfinished Jaguar titles to be completed and hopefully legally released?

As well as the ST ports?

I think extreme de-makes are kinda cool and funny, like "Halo" on the VCS or Dragon's Lair or Resident Evil on the GameBoy Color

But yeah, on Jaguar, that just seems odd. Jaguar is too new to be pixel-retro-looking, but too old to be powerful for a 3D game. Like designing a PC game but aiming it at Windows 95 ... ONLY.

I should confess i'm not the greatest fan of cut down versions of games.

Lynx:APB, Shadow Of The Beast and Viking Child for example are missing elements from the Amiga versions and Lemmings lacks the frantic nature of the Amiga version having icons on the pause screen.

Never found the Burnout games on PSP matched the PS2 versions in terms of impact.

Halo on the VCS did make me chuckle, along with Doom on the ZX Spectrum.

GBC Resident Evil i can appreciate for the sheer ambition, but it's not something i would ever want to play.

Playstation Resident Evil was fantastic, in it's day, but the GC Remake kicked it into the long grass and as i said earlier, despite having bought day 1, i couldn't bring myself to play the PS3 version for any length of time...maybe Resident Evil 4 changed my view of the entire series too much?.

But as an ex-Jaguar owner talking here and now, i can happily accept i really did see commercial coders get the best from it with Skyhammer, Iron Solider etc and even then knew the 3DO handled texture mapping far better than the Jaguar.

Games like Quake and Magic Carpet were Pentium PC games at heart..clever coding by teams the Jaguar never had saw respectable conversions to the Sega Saturn, but even then comprises had to be made and the Jaguar was no Saturn in terms of hardware.

I love seeing things like Fallen Angels on Jaguar, as the Amiga update of Rescue On Fract. sadly never seemed to get any further than a rendering demo, so it was great to see a fan based remake.

But i also appreciate Jaguar owners getting a chance to play ST titles they missed back in the day.

You've only to look at comments section on here to see how people are only now being pleasantly surprised by just how good many of them actually were...

I would happily take Jaguar Llamatron over PS1 Robotron X any day of the week.

If people have the chance to discover and enjoy these titles today, but on Jaguar with improvements, it's a good thing for the community is it not?

• Like 1