IGNORED

Indus GT drive error - G5 - won't read disks...

dafivehole

It's the only drive I have :(

UPDATE: I went back and tried to load the same disk and it works fine now :ponder: Could the issue be with my 800XL? It has a hard timing reading some carts and it makes a weird sound from time to time too... <scratching my head>

Thanks again,

Roger

Edited by dafivehole

It's the only drive I have :(

UPDATE: I went back and tried to load the same disk and it works fine now :ponder: Could the issue be with my 800XL? It has a hard timing reading some carts and it makes a weird sound from time to time too... <scratching my head>

Thanks again,

Roger

try a new SIO cable, maybe that one is not connecting well :?

Well, for whatever reason, now it's working like a champ! The one issue I have now though is that I can't seem to format a disk... I'm using DOS XL (it came with the Indus). Is there another DOS that I should use? I can't remember what I used back in the day :(

Sorry for the newb questions, I'm trying to re-acquaint myself with it all now...

Thanks,

Roger

On a side note, DOS XL tells me that one of the disks I'm trying to format is "write protected" :?

Well, for whatever reason, now it's working like a champ! The one issue I have now though is that I can't seem to format a disk... I'm using DOS XL (it came with the Indus). Is there another DOS that I should use? I can't remember what I used back in the day :(

I have an Indus GT that's always worked well, but it's always had a quirk: I have to let it warm up before it will format. If I turn it on and it's cold, it gives me errors (or the newly formatted disk doesn't work--I can't remember which). But if I wait until it's at normal operating temperature, it will format just fine. I don't think this issue was contingent on the DOS I was using.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I have an Indus GT that's always worked well, but it's always had a quirk: I have to let it warm up before it will format. If I turn it on and it's cold, it gives me errors (or the newly formatted disk doesn't work--I can't remember which). But if I wait until it's at normal operating temperature, it will format just fine. I don't think this issue was contingent on the DOS I was using.

Does anyone know anything about this?

It's funny you say this... I seem to have noticed a pattern. The drive has trouble reading/formatting right when you start it up... after it warms up, it runs like champ!!!

Roger

It's funny you say this... I seem to have noticed a pattern. The drive has trouble reading/formatting right when you start it up... after it warms up, it runs like champ!!!

Roger

So yours still doesn't read disks until it's warm?

I seem to remember taking the drive back to the shop to see if anything was wrong with it, but the service person couldn't find any problems.

It was (and still is) a good drive. It's my disk drive of choice for use with the SIOtoPC cable. My Happy 1050 gets cranky with the SIOtoPC sometimes.

• 6 years later...

I am reviving this thread.. because I am having the same issue. Also because no one ever came up with what the G5 indicated on the LEDs ment.

This is the G5 I am getting. post-45982-0-41930900-1490277248.png

I assume others are getting the same bars.

I have been working on my IndusGTs over the past weeks. Putting in the MrMartian ROM and also repairing a LED display on the one drive.

Last night when I put them back together (I had hoped for the final time in a while) they both came up with this error and would not read disks.

I cleaned both heads again.. and tried again.. switched disks a couple of times on one .. and eventually with a lot of stutters and hicups one started reading.. got faster.. faster.. and now back to normal. All checks passed and works great on DIAGS.

The other.. I have not got past this yet.. If I boot with another drive and use DIAGS.. I can get status.. I can config the drive.. but all calls to anything MOTOR related get a drive NAK.

More than anything I would love to know what G5 means, as there is nothing about this code in the Field Service manual.

James

James

here's description of the error codes for the Indus GT
'G' = GET or read error,
'P' = PUT or write error
'F' = FORMAT error.
the numeric values are:-
3 = Lost Data Error
4 = Checksum Error
5 = Record Not Found
7 = Write Protect Error
9 = Verify Error
'E' = displayed when no error has occured (Hold down ERROR
push button while TRACK push button is pushed).
Disk errors G3, G4, G5, head need cleaning or disk has bad sector or
alignment on the drive...
H3 is on the mother board..Try replacing the H6116
Edited by Guest

ok, suggestions on the best way to do an alignment if I dont have a scope? I was talking with SLOOP .. I am going to take it all out of the cases and put it on its side so that I can get to the stepper motor screws and wedges while the drive is spinning.. but since I cant read anything.. the only thing I can think to do it put a disk in to boot, and then adjust the motor until I get it to read.. HOPEFULLY

James

Ok, but do I put say a dos disk in.. and try and boot it? wedge the stepper motor - ONE end in out? or both? The stepper on this drive is not even.. one end is a noticable difference in or out.. Do I line it up first?? then wedge one end or the other to get it to read? or both sides.. in.. or out?? (by in or out I mean left or right etc..)

James

do you have a 1050 diagnostics disk/ATR?

if you do you can use the drive speed reading from that to get it correct

as regards your main question - i'll take mine apart this afternoon and have a look

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

hello to all,

I know it is old tread but my Indus GT pop-up to be a problem. The error pop on display LED "56". What that means ? I did tried to loading 1 software diskette into my 800XL NTSC. Nothing happening expect 800XL drop into "READY" mode. Help me out .

Yes, I did read the error's list above and none of them is match ....

make sure power supply is correct type and voltage, make sure dip switches in back of indus gt are correct, without any disk or sio cords connected power the drive. what does it do and what do you see?

I all is normal, then try drive all by itself with sio cord, if it works great! if it doesn't try a different sio cord...

If still not working....

Use a single sided wet dry cleaning disk.

us another drive to boot dos and use directory to exercise head with the cleaning disk in the indus.

pull cleaning disk while spinning and let sit to dry...

take the know good disk you booted in the other single sided drive and put in indus... make sure no other drive is set to same drive as indus.. do not have sdrive max or other sio2whatevers on the sio bus.. just have indus set as drive 1 with nothing else and boot the known good single sided disk...

Make sure your known good disk truly is... it should boot in friends drives as well as all your own..

Edited by _The Doctor__

unless someone else can chime in here?

i would suggest it IS a "G" error code.

my reason for thinking your LEDs are not working properly?

there's not much can be displayed during powerup/attempted boot on those drives

usually 00 or 39 - or whatever part of the disk is being accessed.

as your disk is NOT booting, i'd guess this is a "G" error

and - as I stated above, you're probably looking at a G5

if nothing else - humour me - try the fixes for a G5 and report back here. what have you got to lose?

for reference

'G' = GET or read error,
'P' = PUT or write error
'F' = FORMAT error.
the numeric values are:-
3 = Lost Data Error
4 = Checksum Error
5 = Record Not Found
7 = Write Protect Error
9 = Verify Error
Edited by Guest