IGNORED

to keep or not to keep ?

peedenmark7

Been having to buy entire systems for certain games of late and am ending up with a few more 2600's than I need.

I have a mint 2600 JR and I just got in a 2600 vader. I dont want or need both as if i even play the 2600 games they go into my my 7800, but I would like to keep one 2600 for grins.

That said, I like the looks of the JR. as it matches my 5200/7800, but the console looks so flimsy and fragile, I am wondering if i should off the JR. and keep the vader until I find a minty heavy 6.

any thoughts?

If you really like the Jr, keep it, but I'd keep both. It's not like a Jr takes up much space. The problem with the Jr's is that I've found them to be a lot less reliable than any of the previous models, so to only keep that one I think would be a mistake.

I've used the jr for years with no problem.

Yep, I have one that has worked for years too. I've just found a lot of dead ones, but I've never once run across a dead prior model, not even the beat-to-heck-and-dirty ones. It's only anecdotal evidence, but in my experience, they definitely weren't made as well as the earlier ones. I've had a lot of 2600's over the years and still have quite a few.

My hang up with the Jr. is as you take or place cartridges in the unit its as though the whole console flexes to a degree..

It would stand to reason that as the prices came down so did the quality of the components.

The jr is a short rainbow AT prefixed serial number... I have it at our cottage for grins, the thing looks/works like new... the vader looks much better built, board dated to '80 I think, dont recall the rev. #....183 is stamped on it thats all, nice I got all the paperwork with it...

Hell,I may just keep 'em both, neither takes up much room in the closet :)

Boy, for a guy that only wanted to get 5200 stuff...I have far too much 26 and 78 stuff already.

• Like 2

I say, it's not a good idea to get rid of any 2600 consoles.It seems like they are getting harder and harder to find in the wild as the years go by.Unless you have like 3 or more, i say keep them.I honestly have seen NIL in the wild for any classic consoles and games in the past 1.5 years now!!!!!, were i live anyway.Before that, everyday there would be consoles, games galore at thrift shops everywhere, not no more.

• Like 1

Does anybody actually have a Junior that they use with any frequency, that does not have any chips, cracks, scratches, dents or dings anywhere on the casing (including broken bits on the inside, if you ever open it)? IMO, the Jr.'s casing is too thin and fragile and they just don't hold up well. I have one here that's my current "play" unit, but it's a real beater with several small edge chips missing and three major repairs to the case (a crack a couple of inches long, a screw post inside, and the support structure for the Select and Reset switches).

As a collector owning at least one of each model seems right,i use mainly the Jr as my original wood effect developed a fault many years ago.

I have a few Jr`s with a broken underside case where they have been either dropped or just thrown around by people in storage.

I like the Jr's.They are extremely compact of course, especially when like me, you have several consoles set up because you go from console to console like a maniac.The CV 2600 adapter is a godsend, anything compact is great. :thumbsup:

I personally have tried to collect one of each type of model, boxed if I could, and that included the promotional unit too. Like someone else here, I was using an extra Jr to play games on (all my boxed systems were put away in a closet) until I broke out the 7800. I found the 7800 more useful since I could test both 2600 and 7800 games without having to have 2 systems hooked up.

Phil

I personally have tried to collect one of each type of model, boxed if I could, and that included the promotional unit too. Like someone else here, I was using an extra Jr to play games on (all my boxed systems were put away in a closet) until I broke out the 7800. I found the 7800 more useful since I could test both 2600 and 7800 games without having to have 2 systems hooked up.

Phil

Ive given it some thought and because I have a 7800 , I dont think I need the 2600's at all.

I'm mainly a 5200 guy anyway, and the 2600 games I like/collect, can be played on my 7800.

Edited by peedenmark7

Phil

Ive given it some thought and because I have a 7800 , I dont think I need the 2600's at all.

I'm mainly a 5200 guy anyway, and the 2600 games I like/collect, can be played on my 7800.

Doesn't the 7800 have issues with some 2600 games though? I could be wrong, I don't know very much about the 7800 but I thought I remembered hearing that. As for your original question, I like the Vader look myself :)

Doesn't the 7800 have issues with some 2600 games though? I could be wrong, I don't know very much about the 7800 but I thought I remembered hearing that. As for your original question, I like the Vader look myself :)

One hardware difference is the 2600 switch for Color/BW is the pause button on the 7800. They are identical electrically, but you would have to hold it down to function correctly for a 2600 cart.

And some carts physically don't fit right in a 7800. (Miner 2049er maybe?)

One hardware difference is the 2600 switch for Color/BW is the pause button on the 7800. They are identical electrically, but you would have to hold it down to function correctly for a 2600 cart.

And some carts physically don't fit right in a 7800. (Miner 2049er maybe?)

I have found that activision carts do not fit well into the 7800, and sadly those are my fave games for 2600. my keystone kapers and both pitfalls are like pulling teeth in and out of the 7800.

I believe that coleco carts also do not fit well into the 7800..

maybe I should think a bit more before offing both.. as it stands I believe the jr will be the one to go.

I did get an RGA game brain last week ,

it brought with it some on screen RF interference to both 2600's I have. I have no interference on either 2600 without the game brain.

I plugged the game brain into the 7800 and had NO issues whatsoever.

maybe the rf cables on the 2600's are going to pot [no torrid]? I dont use an Atari tv switch and I know that the little RF adapter I use has no RF inhibiter circuitry in it

wouldnt that then be an issue on the 7800 as well as I dont have a torrid cable for my 7800 either?

havent given the harmony cart much thought as i dont have the abilty [at this time] to put games on to the multi cart.

or better said I just dont fully understand how all of that works. I'd especially like some kind of multi cart for the 5200.

I'd love to venture down the harmony, cuttle cart ,etc. path as to be honest I wanna play games not dedicate closet space for hundreds of boxed systems and games.

I got back into atari gaming for the c-380 only. 5 months later I have almost every 5200 item made, a host of 7800 and 2600 stuff... Its easy for this hobby to get out of control !!!'

Though I will say I'm having more fun today with it, than I did as a kid :)

Edited by peedenmark7

havent given the harmony cart much thought as i dont have the abilty [at this time] to put games on to the multi cart.

or better said I just dont fully understand how all of that works. I'd especially like some kind of multi cart for the 5200.

If you have access to anything that can write to a sd card, that is all you need for Harmony usage. A sd-USB reader is about $9 at walmart if none of your PCs has once built in. If you have a camera or phone or GPS... with SD or mini sd card, you might be able to use that as an adapter to add files to the SD card.

All you do is put the .bin files on a card, stick it in the Harmony card and start playing. They might even hook you up upon purchase for a couple extra $$...

Been having to buy entire systems for certain games of late and am ending up with a few more 2600's than I need.

I have a mint 2600 JR and I just got in a 2600 vader. I dont want or need both as if i even play the 2600 games they go into my my 7800, but I would like to keep one 2600 for grins.

That said, I like the looks of the JR. as it matches my 5200/7800, but the console looks so flimsy and fragile, I am wondering if i should off the JR. and keep the vader until I find a minty heavy 6.

any thoughts?

I find it hard to find the 2600 lately out here, so if you got one, I would take it off your hands :P

If you have access to anything that can write to a sd card, that is all you need for Harmony usage. A sd-USB reader is about $9 at walmart if none of your PCs has once built in. If you have a camera or phone or GPS... with SD or mini sd card, you might be able to use that as an adapter to add files to the SD card.

All you do is put the .bin files on a card, stick it in the Harmony card and start playing. They might even hook you up upon purchase for a couple extra $$...

I did it on my laptop and I am a complete meathead when it comes to stuff like that. It was pretty easy ;)