IGNORED

FS: $15 NES to Atari 7800 / Coleco Controller Conversions

Man I'd consider shipping you one of my NES Advantages for a 7800 conversion if that was possible. Those regular nes pads are cool, but they would still cramp my hands (i'm getting old).

Certainly is. $35 using your existing stick or $45 with one I provide. Prices include priority postage.

AX

Cool! I'll put it on my list of things to get done. 7800 market is heating up with the XM and all.

Looks really cool... I'm tempted to get one for the ColecoVision. I've got a Y-adapter so the keypad is no problem.

Can you do this mod on a NES 2 "dogbone" controller? I find them more comfortable than the original rectangular pad.

Sure, I've got one with a few bite marks on hand, or send in your own. The generic glob reproductions probably could work, but I'd rather not hassle with those.

AX

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it won’t let me PM the OP to ask directly.

Does anyone still do this NES to Coleco controller conversion or have any info on how to do it?

I’d love to use a couple of NES D-pad controllers with my Coleco-ADAM system.

Thanks,

Justin

I can make NES to Atari, and vice versa, using an Arduino, You need some kind of logic or microcontroller to read the NES's state. I can also go to and from Jaguar, Megadrive (Genesis) and SNES.

I don't have a Coleco controller, but the pinout seems the same as an Atari joystick- can you use a 2600 joystick on a Coleco? Does it only have 1 fire button?

I've toyed with the idea of building a multi-adapter, with 5 or so inputs and outputs to allow any controller to be used on any system (of course some wouldn't work too well if they don't have enough buttons...)

the.golden.ax hasn't been around these forums for about a year now due to health problems. The last I heard from him (actually his wife), she was selling some modded Space Invaders controllers for the ColecoVision and then everything went silent. I hope everything is OK.

Yeah poor Golden Axe. I haven't heard from him in over a year. I bought an AtariVox 2 from him in spring 2013 shortly before he fell ill. I haven't heard from his wife, WolfPack Mommy, in a while either. I hope he's okay... :_(

Either way I recently joined the 7800 scene. I got a NOS Euro pad with my Best AV modded 7800. Pretty dissatisfied with it as the Dpad feels stiff and hits diagonals way too easily making it nigh impossible to hit a strait direction on the Dpad. I had tons of stupid deaths in Donkey Kong and Ms Pacman as a result. I followed and online YT tutorial last night to make my own 7800 controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQbokBHvQXA

Materials needed:

NES controller in working condition

Small Phillips screwdriver

9-pin Dsub cable from Genesis clone, broken controller, or extension cable.

2x 620 ohm resistors (Exact value isn't critical. Radio Shack doesn't carry 620 ohm so I subbed a 560 ohm instead)

Soldering iron

Desoldering iron (to remove the 4021 IC)

Hot glue gun (to secure the cable to the back of the PCB)

Hobby knife (for cutting PCB traces)

If the mod is successful, the red "B" and "A" NES buttons will correspond to the two red Atari 7800 buttons. Start and Select won't work as they are disconnected.

I used a Retrobit Genesis extension cable because they are higher quality than most clone controller cables, if a bit shorter. It has a similar girth and feel to the official NES cables, and there's no annoying fibers inside the wires. My NES/7800 controller works great now. The 6 foot extension cable I cut a few inches off when modding it, and there's 5 feet of cable length past the end of the controller. Sadly, I don't have stacks of NES controllers and extension cables laying around, so I probably won't be making any more to sell.

I played the Pacman Plus collection on my 30th anniversary homebrew cart and scored 47000 points in Ms Pacman. Best

score I've ever achieved in Ms Pac, although starting with 5 lives and getting lucky with the bananas (worth 5000 pts) helped. :grin:

• Like 4

I have a whole handful of controllers and be willing to get pictures and a count of what I have (no way to test, no NES...EVER!) I'd trade them for two of the completed controllers tested and working sent back - shipping to you my cost, shipping to me your cost.
Sorry it's a tiny gamble as I don't have an NES to test the silly things on first... PM me if you are interested in me digging them out there's 7-9 or 15 or something

I have a whole handful of controllers and be willing to get pictures and a count of what I have (no way to test, no NES...EVER!) I'd trade them for two of the completed controllers tested and working sent back - shipping to you my cost, shipping to me your cost.

Sorry it's a tiny gamble as I don't have an NES to test the silly things on first... PM me if you are interested in me digging them out there's 7-9 or 15 or something

PM sent :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to the Atari 7800 scene. Is there any chance to get a couple of these NES controllers converted to work for 7800, thanks

Give me about 2 weeks and I will have a bunch of them to sell. I'm waiting on a batch of NES controllers to come in the mail right now.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Standard controller conversions.

Used NES stock controller modified to work

Atari 2600

OR

Atari 7800 (with both fire buttons mapped correctly).

OR

ColecoVision (with both fire buttons mapped correctly, no keypad).

Also, I can do 2600 TWO BUTTON for use with the many hacks (doesn't work with CV or 7800)

Only 3 (more by request) available @ $15 each plus shipping. FREE SHIPPING ON A PAIR.

(will make more if anyone wants some)

nes7800standard.jpg

PM ME

Thanks,

AX

Do you still have any???????/

At this point, anyone looking for DIY conversion kits to use NES pads on the 7800 or SMS should look to Danth Wader's etsy shop. Also sells the completed the controllers there when they have them on hand.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ItsAllGeek3D

• Like 2