IGNORED

Ultimate1MB preorder starts

candle

Chear or Pro?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PCB be PRO?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hope someone can help me out. I installed my U1MB today and I have two issues/questions. 1) None of the options I change actually save. Once the Atari reboots it comes back up to the menu and all the settings are back to default. 2) Is there a way to shut off the RTC?

I wonder if I may have a couple wires crossed. I'm red color deficient and could have made a mistake I suppose. I went by the silkscreen layout. It might help if someone could tell me according the Candle's .jpg what pins on freddie do what so I can make sure I get them right.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

PS This is a 130XE

Hope someone can help me out. I installed my U1MB today and I have two issues/questions. 1) None of the options I change actually save. Once the Atari reboots it comes back up to the menu and all the settings are back to default. 2) Is there a way to shut off the RTC?

I wonder if I may have a couple wires crossed. I'm red color deficient and could have made a mistake I suppose. I went by the silkscreen layout. It might help if someone could tell me according the Candle's .jpg what pins on freddie do what so I can make sure I get them right.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

PS This is a 130XE

Pin 5 is Phi02

Pin 38 is R/W

Pin 39 is Reset

Candle:

I have pressed 'S' and it says it saves. If I enable SDX and exit after saving it comes up and boots SDX but once you reset or power off it comes back to the menu with the default settings back on (SDX disabled).

I just removed and reinserted the battery with no change.

Another thing when I boot SDX it tells me the 'Ultimate Clock is not Present!'.

Stephen:

Wires are connected correctly. Thank you for the info.

Candle:

I have pressed 'S' and it says it saves. If I enable SDX and exit after saving it comes up and boots SDX but once you reset or power off it comes back to the menu with the default settings back on (SDX disabled).

I just removed and reinserted the battery with no change.

Another thing when I boot SDX it tells me the 'Ultimate Clock is not Present!'.

When you installed the battery, is the "+" Side on the bottom or top?

Jay

Edited by AtariGeezer

This is where i connected the wires for my U1MB...

post-24811-0-94894000-1323617480_thumb.jpg

and dont mount the U1MB where i did, the hole in the pic next to the AV jack is where the right mount post is supposed to go. The other mount is supposed to go in a hole drilled between the power switch and power jack...

(the unlabeled wire is A4, and isnt for the U1MB...)

sloopy.

Sloopy, did this install work? Reason I ask is that it looks like you have R/W and RESET backwards?

SALLY has Pin 40 as RST and Pin 36 as R/W...

Jay

I just found my 130XE, and yes, the labels are wrong, the Grey (not brown) wire is R/W, and the Pink is RST...

but my 130XE is wired correctly...

sloopy.

DocRodCod: could you do me a closeup photo of RTC chip? this will be the smallest one on board

if you feel confident, you might want to resolder it, if not, then i've arranged another way out of this already

but first off - take that picture, and we'll see how to solve that issue

Sebastian

Ok here is first release of my Time Get tool. (It also gets date ofcourse).

It is only tested with SpartaDos 3.3a, but I am rather sure it will also work with 3.2 and other 3.3 versions.

The tool downloads Time and Date from the Ultimate RTC and puts time in spartados System Clock. This is not a DRIVER. It is the Spartados system clock that keeps the time running. It's like Apetime, or Sio2USB Time...

I created this, because I'm not a SpartaDos X user (yet). I have been using SpartaDos disk versions since 1995 and I'm very satisfied by that. I love the build-in RTC of Ultimate 1MB upgrade, so I wanted to be able to use it with SpartaDos disk versions. So here it is... the first beta release.

If you want to set time/date in RTC itself you still need to boot with SDX. Since this is a built-in feature of Ultimate 1MB I do not see any needs for creating a SET Time/Date tool for SpartaDos Diskversion.

This TimeGet 01b is NOT compatible with BeweDos btw.. If anyone is interested in that, let me know.

This is just a first 'try' ... I have to create a better (more compact) source, and I want some diagnostic error messages in it too.

One more thing:

There is something 'strange' going on when you run tools like this one and immediately type the 'time' or 'date' command after running it. Sometimes (in rare cases) the time or date first value appears to be invalid. This is only happening on the screen. The Time or Date is set well.

This also happens with apetime and other time tools. I think it is a little 'flaw' in SpartaDos.

Anyway: have fun with the tool.

Greetz

Marius

I tested it with realDOS build 30, and it works... reads and set the time fine...

sloopy.

@candle

Two questions from a while ago where I did not see your answer at (perhaps you wrote it, but i missed it):

Is there already some news from trub? I would really be able to (re)flash the internal OS-ses/Basic (One of the main reasons I chosed Ultimate 1MB upgrade)

If there will be a firmware upgrade needed, you wrote that a certain chip in the Ultimate Upgrade needs to be reprogrammed. In case this is needed: is this 'easy' to do by myself, do I need to buy hardware for that? Thanks, would like to know.

Greetz

M.

Hi Marius

reflashing cpld - you need a piece of hardware for this - it can cost you $3, or $80 depending on if you have parallel port in any of your windows/linux machines or not

trub hasn't responded as yet, so i'm still waiting

--

i've called trub, and he promissed me working flasher for rom slots and basic slot for today's evening - provided his internet connection is up and running

Sebastian

• Like 1

Hi Marius

reflashing cpld - you need a piece of hardware for this - it can cost you $3, or $80 depending on if you have parallel port in any of your windows/linux machines or not

trub hasn't responded as yet, so i'm still waiting

--

i've called trub, and he promissed me working flasher for rom slots and basic slot for today's evening - provided his internet connection is up and running

Sebastian

This is great news. I have a PC ... with Parallel port! So that sound promising! Great! In that case I have two feature request for future firmware upgrade:

I would love to see a 100% XE compatible setting (that means 128K total ram separate ANTIC/CPU accessible 64K ramdisk)

I would be able to chose between basic or the other 8K rom from the menu.

Don't feel pressed to do all that, my ideas are only suggestions for a future release of the firmware.

(But I think especially that second request is really interesting)

@candle

On more thing:

How easy would it be to modify the U1MB PCB so the backup would also keep the Ramdisk updated when the Atari is switched off?

You explained why you did not created that feature, but I would love to have it. Especially in case of my BBS where the ramdisk is filled with zillions of files. It takes a lot of time to re-init the ramdisk after a power cut or something. Also with programming I only use my ramdisk, to prevent my hard disk from stupid crashes (due to program failures from my side). It's a safe idea that the ramdisk is back upped by a battery.

Also with programming I only use my ramdisk, to prevent my hard disk from stupid crashes (due to program failures from my side). It's a safe idea that the ramdisk is back upped by a battery.

Yikes - not so safe without battery backed-up RAM. You wouldn't want to have a power-cut after two or three hours of coding. :)