IGNORED

Found Potential Rare Atari Games

cjrocco

The letter is classic! :) Getting rejected by Atari when asking to purchase 3 very common games, collecting before the internet, man, that must have been tough :D I can only imagine the amount of work this collection must have taken to compile. It's too bad the son has no interest, he would have one hell of a jump start in the collecting scene.

As it was so eloquently pointed out by Crazy Climber, nobody here knows me.

I'm sorry you were so offended by me saying she should take your advice lightly, I had no idea it would bother you this much which it must since you have brought it up twice now long after I stopped replying about it. You have only been here one week so I thought it was a good idea to point that out. I have zero interest in these games, I didn't say it for personal gain/etc.. I do think calling me bonehead and the other insults you hurled at me was a little over the top but I know thats a NY thing so I'm willing to drop it if you are :D :) Good luck with your game purchases.

I've only been here a week and I'm already starting to regret the $50 I invested to become a subscription member. Just to be clear, you are not the only one who has pointed out that I am new & this is something not to be trusted here. I can see the reason to be apprehensive based on past painful lessons (yes, I've heard some of the horror stories), but I just wanted to point out that it might have been nice to say "hello new guy! maybe you should be careful meeting with these strangers who are selling their games! We don't know them!". Instead, I felt like you made somewhat of an unfair decision to warn another VERY NEW member of some danger in dealing with ME...because I'm new??? See what I mean?

I was trying to be helpful to this new member since the OP was written, while at the same time, hoping to maybe be lucky enough to purchase some games. I never hid my intentions. I never said I wanted to buy the whole collection. I never even suggested ANY pricing to these nice people. All I said was that I wanted to see the collection and discuss pricing. I've purchased collections in the want ads the same way throughout the years and, I saw this as no different. Caution when buying and selling is a given in this day and age.

I'm not some scammer, and I didn't start collecting atari on the day I paid for a subscription here (not even close). So it should make perfect sense that I was offended. All I did was engage in exactly what this site is designed for (dialogue about Atari games / history amongst collectors), and I am immediately met with that kind of response. If new members aren't really welcome, then why sell subscriptions? Or is it just the new members who walk in with a copy of Video Life under their arm who are ok with some folks here?

Or is it just the new members who walk in with a copy of Video Life under their arm who are ok with some folks here?

Before posting about something potentially rare or trying to buy or sell anything, it's recommended that you wait for an Atari nerd convention where you can meet other AtariAge members in person. Once you have shown that you're one of guys by getting drunk with them and maybe sharing a hooker or two at the official AtariAge orgy, you'll have no problems in the forums. Just do not show up in a dress as a joke. They'll mistake you for a hooker and you'll be violated before you can yank off your wig and scream "Dudes! I'm a guy!" I learned that the hard way. :D

• Like 3

Or is it just the new members who walk in with a copy of Video Life under their arm who are ok with some folks here?

Before posting about something potentially rare or trying to buy or sell anything, it's recommended that you wait for an Atari nerd convention where you can meet other AtariAge members in person. Once you have shown that you're one of guys by getting drunk with them and maybe sharing a hooker or two at the official AtariAge orgy, you'll have no problems in the forums. Just do not show up in a dress as a joke. They'll mistake you for a hooker and you'll be violated before you can yank off your wig and scream "Dudes! I'm a guy!" I learned that the hard way. :D

Amen...bring back the AA orgy and copious amounts of beers!!!! :cool:

PS: RT you forgot the bag of weed!

post-18059-129967933624_thumb.gif

Amen...bring back the AA orgy and copious amounts of beers!!!! :cool:

PS: RT you forgot the bag of weed!

.......and let the girls dance!!! :D

I'm sorry you were so offended by me saying she should take your advice lightly, I had no idea it would bother you this much which it must since you have brought it up twice now long after I stopped replying about it. You have only been here one week so I thought it was a good idea to point that out. I have zero interest in these games, I didn't say it for personal gain/etc.. I do think calling me bonehead and the other insults you hurled at me was a little over the top but I know thats a NY thing so I'm willing to drop it if you are :D :) Good luck with your game purchases.

I've only been here a week and I'm already starting to regret the $50 I invested to become a subscription member. Just to be clear, you are not the only one who has pointed out that I am new & this is something not to be trusted here. I can see the reason to be apprehensive based on past painful lessons (yes, I've heard some of the horror stories), but I just wanted to point out that it might have been nice to say "hello new guy! maybe you should be careful meeting with these strangers who are selling their games! We don't know them!". Instead, I felt like you made somewhat of an unfair decision to warn another VERY NEW member of some danger in dealing with ME...because I'm new??? See what I mean?

I was trying to be helpful to this new member since the OP was written, while at the same time, hoping to maybe be lucky enough to purchase some games. I never hid my intentions. I never said I wanted to buy the whole collection. I never even suggested ANY pricing to these nice people. All I said was that I wanted to see the collection and discuss pricing. I've purchased collections in the want ads the same way throughout the years and, I saw this as no different. Caution when buying and selling is a given in this day and age.

I'm not some scammer, and I didn't start collecting atari on the day I paid for a subscription here (not even close). So it should make perfect sense that I was offended. All I did was engage in exactly what this site is designed for (dialogue about Atari games / history amongst collectors), and I am immediately met with that kind of response. If new members aren't really welcome, then why sell subscriptions? Or is it just the new members who walk in with a copy of Video Life under their arm who are ok with some folks here?

So now we are at the point where I have giving an apology (for saying something that really wasn't that bad) taken numerous insults/name calling from you with zero retaliation on my part, politely suggested we drop the entire thing and explained politely why Leach doubted your K-tel story but yet, your response is still on the offensive towards me? :? Not sure what else I can do here? I guess you just don't like me, fair enough. I tried to work it out...

So now we are at the point where I have giving an apology (for saying something that really wasn't that bad) taken numerous insults/name calling from you with zero retaliation on my part, politely suggested we drop the entire thing and explained politely why Leach doubted your K-tel story but yet, your response is still on the offensive towards me? :? Not sure what else I can do here? I guess you just don't like me, fair enough. I tried to work it out...

That was not on the offensive..not at all. Defensive, for sure. I feel like I've had to defend almost every post since I got in here. I am just saying, put yourself in my shoes for a second. It sucks to join a new group and feel like that. I'm done.

cjrocco and Mother-In-Law: Best of luck with the selling. I hope it all goes well and the games go to a good home.

That was not on the offensive..not at all. Defensive, for sure. I feel like I've had to defend almost every post since I got in here. I am just saying, put yourself in my shoes for a second. It sucks to join a new group and feel like that. I'm done.

cjrocco and Mother-In-Law: Best of luck with the selling. I hope it all goes well and the games go to a good home.

My advice (since I am arguably in the same boat as you- been collecting for decades but realatively new here): don't get so worked up over it. Remember, "water off a ducks back". Being involved with these forums is fun, but you need to develop thick skin and be prepared to give a lot of benefit of doubt. Most people here are just trying to help and are very cool.

I wouldn't worry about it, or leave just yet. As a new member, you came on kind of strong, that's all. Give it a little time for people to get to know you before you start taking stands on issues and going head-to-head with senior members here.

Good luck... ;)

• Like 1

I justed wanted to chime in here. I've been a member at AtariAge for quite a while - I read the forums quite a bit but I don't post much. I caught the beginning of this thread when it started and just got up to date.

Some quick background on me. I live in Canada and have been collecting classic games for a long time. As a kid in the 80's my family had an Intellivision. I still have it along with a number of boxed games. I began collecting Atari and Colecovision in the late 1980's when I started working full time and could afford to buy games. I was still finding new games for sale into the early 90's. I've never purchased from places like eBay. My modest collection of about 500 classics (for various systems) have all been acquired locally at flea markets, thrift stores and through things like newspaper ads.

I too was a doubter when I saw the first few posts. The pictures convinced me that that Mother-In-Law does have a great collection in her possession.

I had a good friend in the early to mid 1980's and his father traveled quite a bit. The father loved to collect games and movies. During the crash he would buy games for $5 or less. I still have fond memories of visiting my friend and playing the hundreds of Atari games that his father owned. Much like Mother-In-Law's father my friend's father didn't keep the boxes either. I don't even think he kept the manuals.

I moved to another town after I finished school and fell out of touch with my old friend. I ran into him again in the late 1990's when I was home visiting my parents. I asked about his father's game collection hoping to score a quick, cheap addition to my collection. I was told that the father still had all of his 2600 games and had no interest in parting with them. He was keeping the games because he knew that they would be worth something some day.

So the original poster's story does not seem so crazy to me. There is a similar collection out there somewhere. Maybe it will show up here on AtariAge.

• Like 1

So the original poster's story does not seem so crazy to me. There is a similar collection out there somewhere. Maybe it will show up here on AtariAge.

Trust me: there are much more similar collections out there.

And not every die hard VCS cart collector is an active AtariAge member.

I've had mails from people owning incredible rare VCS games who never posted here once.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Are old catalogs and magazines worth keeping?

The Atariage mags will fetch a few bucks, most catalogs are nothing special but I wouldn't just throw them away. Include them with the big lot of commons you end up with after you sell all the rare stuff and do one big lot sale.

Iggy*SJB' date='Wed Mar 9, 2011 6:58 AM' timestamp='1299671895' post='2229301']

I can handle stupid. It is the pointless debating about the existence of this collection and the rudeness towards this collector's family I can't handle.

No kidding! You guys can thank whatever deity you worship that I'm not a moderator on here. This is getting insane! I can understand the initial doubting, but once the pictures came out, accept that it exists, and help these people out. You may have been able to get a reward of a good deal out of it... but I wouldn't be surprised if these people left here thinking "Holy shit, what a bunch of assholes!" Way to make the community look good. :roll:

If members of this community can denigrate legends of Atari like Nolan Bushnell, and Rob Folup, than this should come as no surprise.

I think a healthy amount of skepticism when someone posts something like this is appropriate. I also think Nolan Bushnell and Rob Fulop are not beyond criticism for some of the things they have done. Having said that, this thread is way out of hand.

• Like 4

If members of this community can denigrate legends of Atari like Nolan Bushnell, and Rob Folup, than this should come as no surprise.

Those guys weren't entirely blameless. A lot of what went down they brought upon themselves, IMO.

:thumbsup: +1

• Like 2

Honestly as a brand new member to this forum I just want to say that the squabble between BennyBingo and Crazy Climber should have been taken to pm's a few pages ago. From what i have seen from this board as an observer, this is a great board and something like that is not needed in a topic discussion.

• Like 6

Honestly as a brand new member to this forum I just want to say that the squabble between BennyBingo and Crazy Climber should have been taken to pm's a few pages ago. From what i have seen from this board as an observer, this is a great board and something like that is not needed in a topic discussion.

Awww.... there are just having fun :) This is nothing; now Shawn Sr., There is some old school action :D