IGNORED

Found Potential Rare Atari Games

cjrocco

So if this is a build up to some April Fools scheme, what form could it take?

Just having someone falsely claim to have a collection of rare carts which they intend to put up for sale would not cut it here as far as April Fools pranks go. This forum is far beyond that and would now demand at the minimum some faked footage of a previously unknown cart, if not a completely fabricated, playable ROM of said cart.

It does seem super sketchy to me and the timing for the start of a long April Fool's setup is right... :ponder:

My local video store had all kinds of different used games circa 1983-4, and as I recall, that's where we got most of our off-brand games: Sssnake, Cosmic Swarm, things like that. Don't underestimate the used-games market, not to mention other methods by which product might've been dumped.

child.jpg here is an atari store for ya..see any k tel carts? or marketing for such from the 80's?

Atari store??? Looks like the game section wall in the electronics department at a Macy's. I see ColecoVision, Commodore, Intellivision and Atari - each with their own merchandising wall segment. And BTW, I must need to get my eyes checked, cause if you can see what is in that Atari section, waaaaay to the back of the photo, then my eyes must be going! icon_shades.gif

Atari store??? Looks like the game section wall in the electronics department at a Macy's. I see ColecoVision, Commodore, Intellivision and Atari - each with their own merchandising wall segment. And BTW, I must need to get my eyes checked, cause if you can see what is in that Atari section, waaaaay to the back of the photo, then my eyes must be going! icon_shades.gif

Yeah, I'm sure that one photo has convinced you that your childhood game shopping memories were mistaken. ;)

child.jpg here is an atari store for ya..see any k tel carts? or marketing for such from the 80's?

this is what the department store would look like when it carried atari games...theres all sorts of other crap too..notjust atari.... back in the 80's you couldnt run astore with just atari games? if you could or did..please name one....i rest my point til then....

I need to make a new name and call myself Non Believer? The boy drives 6 hours from loui to the bronx and takes some pics...they are grainy on purpose......

Give me a list of stores that carried all those brands and stocked such a stock in the 80's..>! Then tell me there carried such an elaborate varity for all the electronics out at the same time...This store owner much have been a millionaire due to the fact that you could not just purchase a set of 1 titles and carry on eof each of every item out in 1983......the variety confuses me and if these were all bought new...they should all appear new...an atari game stored and refound should show very little wear.....

I come across small lots all the time and most of the games look mint...

Still iffy on this one..who is screwing with us on this one?

Back when I was a kid, the store in my town had a lot of rare titles. A LOT! Funny thing is that nobody wanted them back then. I remember vividly when I was overpaying for Ms. Pac Man and Jungle Hunt that the guy had plenty of weird looking games (Texas Chainshaw, K-tel handle carts etc). Me and all of my friends looked at them like they were knock-offs. This is probably because, in comparison to games like Pitfall II, when I bought Mythicon's Sorcerer or Tigervision's King Kong it left a very bad taste in my mouth for taking chances with my allowance.

You live in the states? You bought Mythicon cart how much did you pay for it? Dont answer! Every box suggest manufacturer retail price of $9.99...these were discount titles......meant to be sold at discount prices, hence discount stores. Then you saw Texas Chainsaw on the shelf next to a K-Tel cart? Knockoffs? You may have bought a jap tv and called it a knock off of an american RCA tv if you were like 70 in the 80's, but a knockoff video game? Not real sure too many of my friends were throwing around that term in the 80's.....

I just cant see a store front local business owner (being rich enough to purchase a case at least of every rare title in this pictures) and even caring to carry video games ....Radio shack sold some, sears sold some....department stores sold some, but video games were the devil......what retail store carried all these variety in the same store.....lets assume they were all bought from the same town..which maybe had a radio shack or a mall with a department store or two in it?

These were supposed to be bought in the late 70's early 80's....

NEW QUESTION: respectfully asking of the OP....if you care to share this answer as I find it personal, but crucial to the understanding of how one would come across such a collection in the early 80's........"How did you lose your father and at what age did he die?"

This question would help to determine the actual age of the original owner.....if his age was later in life...I have a hard time believing that a possible WWII vet would be playing video games....

No harm meant by my posts here....

I have bought some of the strangest things from US collectors and non-collectors over the years - some of the stuff they picked up in yard sales 15-20 years ago. Others picked stuff up from their travels to Canada, Europe, Asia etc. Anyone here claim to have an NTSC Suntek Catch Time? Of course not! I'm not really that suprised with this collection. The only thing I'm a lttle suprised about is the lack of a Magicard, but I wouldn't claim this lot is bogus based only on that.

Not to derail the thread, but just was doing some searches to try and find the history on K tel carts. Couldn't find anything on that, but found this AWESOME link which is pretty informative on all the carts made for the 2600, especially third party manufacturers.

Wikipedia list

Edited by Benzman66

Not to derail the thread, but just was doing some searches to try and find the history on K tel carts. Couldn't find anything on that, but found this link which is pretty informative on all the carts made for the 2600, especially third parties.

Wikipedia

Ktel released two games under licence, Vulture Attack and Spider Maze, both of which are Ultravision/Funvision games. When Ultravision folded, Ktel must've bought the rights to release the games.

They are not knock-offs, but legitimate releases.

this is what the department store would look like when it carried atari games...theres all sorts of other crap too..notjust atari.... back in the 80's you couldnt run astore with just atari games? if you could or did..please name one....i rest my point til then....

Angry much??? icon_rolling.gif

One more time for the slow learners: the store - video express - sold all kinds of video games. My system was Atari - that is all I paid attention to back then, as I was not a rich kid who had 3 or 4 systems. Video Express started out as a local appliance store and eventually started carrying games as a novelty. When Atari's popularity surged, so did his stake in the video game market. He was around for years and, like I said, he had a ton of oddball cartridges back then. For what reason you might think I am making this up, I have no idea. Maybe you are just a bit slow on the uptake, but I was simply sharing a story. Nowhere in this story did I say I purchased a K-Tel cart or anything else out of the ordinary. I actually said the exact opposite.

Dont hate just for the sake of hating...it makes you look silly. icon_piratehat.gif

Okay, I am The Father-In-Law (aka The Mother-In-Law's husband). When her dad bought these games, they were not "rare", just Atari games. I did not know him, as he died just after we met, and I mean like days after. From what she tells me, and what I have seen of this and his other hobbies, he was obsessive. All the instrcutions kept in a shoe box with homemade letter tab cards. I doubt he thought of keeping the boxes because he was not a collector, just going nuts on something he liked.

The Beat'em & Eat'em has a price sticker on it from The Micro Center for $49.95. More pix are coming. Clearer ones with the new camera I bought just to address the grainy photo issue.

One more time for the slow learners: the store - video express - sold all kinds of video games. My system was Atari - that is all I paid attention to back then, as I was not a rich kid who had 3 or 4 systems. Video Express started out as a local appliance store and eventually started carrying games as a novelty. When Atari's popularity surged, so did his stake in the video game market. He was around for years and, like I said, he had a ton of oddball cartridges back then. For what reason you might think I am making this up, I have no idea. Maybe you are just a bit slow on the uptake, but I was simply sharing a story. Nowhere in this story did I say I purchased a K-Tel cart or anything else out of the ordinary. I actually said the exact opposite.

Dont hate just for the sake of hating...it makes you look silly. icon_piratehat.gif

All i was saying was....."Was that store in New York?"

Okay, I am The Father-In-Law (aka The Mother-In-Law's husband). When her dad bought these games, they were not "rare", just Atari games. I did not know him, as he died just after we met, and I mean like days after. From what she tells me, and what I have seen of this and his other hobbies, he was obsessive. All the instrcutions kept in a shoe box with homemade letter tab cards. I doubt he thought of keeping the boxes because he was not a collector, just going nuts on something he liked.

The Beat'em & Eat'em has a price sticker on it from The Micro Center for $49.95. More pix are coming. Clearer ones with the new camera I bought just to address the grainy photo issue.

Thank you for the information and for getting this forum thread back on the rails. We look forward to the photos!

-Ben

All i was saying was....."Was that store in New York?"

Northern NJ - right outside manhattan

Thank you for the information and for getting this forum thread back on the rails. We look forward to the photos!

-Ben

AWWW...no fun on the rails..live it up a bit and enjoy the ride :cool:

Not to derail the thread, but just was doing some searches to try and find the history on K tel carts. Couldn't find anything on that, but found this link which is pretty informative on all the carts made for the 2600, especially third parties.

Wikipedia

Ktel released two games under licence, Vulture Attack and Spider Maze, both of which are Ultravision/Funvision games. When Ultravision folded, Ktel must've bought the rights to release the games.

I do not have a NTSC Suntek Catch Time, but I do have a PAL Suntek Mid-Time SS-018 :P :D

-Ben

Still trying to figure out why I need to verify what my childhood local video game stores were like...could someone be writing a book about this post????icon_confused.gif

-Ben

Still trying to figure out why I need to verify what my childhood local video game stores were like...could someone be writing a book about this post????icon_confused.gif

Still trying to figure out why anything needs to be verified when simple requests for value and what would be the best place to sell them where made (although no post has given the impression that anything will be sold).

Wikipedia

I do not have a NTSC Suntek Catch Time, but I do have a PAL Suntek Mid-Time SS-018 :P :D

Bleh, cheap PAL knock-off :P :D

-Ben

I spent my time as a kid sifting through bins of games at Zellers Dept. store post-crash that I thought were shitty ( *kicking self in ass; not an easy task*) that I should have stocked up on. By the way, this post is a BOOK :)

Mother-In-Law, you already said you aren't offended, but no matter what happens -- don't be, really. A lot of what you hear is just healthy skepticism due to having been both burned and having April Fool's Jokes nearly every year on this site... it's to be expected. No worries, you're doing just fine and thanks for being here.