IGNORED

Odd Wico Command Control Joystick

I've been trying to find some info on this Wico Command Control stick that I picked up in a lot last summer and put it away. I've been going through joysticks I'm keeping and came across this one again. Its got a much bigger base and the top of the stick is completely flat unlike the regular Wico's. If you put it on a flat surface it angles slightly toward the player. Is it designed to be played sitting on a flat surface like a table or desk? Its got grooves in the bottom to make it easier to hold I guess. Anyone know anything about these?

post-2493-129954452108_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtariLeaf

I know what that is! Sorta, I know the name atleast. That is the Wico Command Control Joystick Deluxe. I saw something on it before but I can't find the site anymore. I did however find a video talking about it, the difference between that one and the other Wico joysticks, and showing what it looks like taken apart. The reason for the bigger base is that it's basically an arcade stick in a case. The video is here

if you just want to see that part skip ahead to 5:30. I helped! :-D

I have some TI-99 wico's that sorta look like that, but they come in pairs....

I don't remember but do TI-99's use a standard 9-pin connector for the joystick ports?

Yes - but no. They use a single port for 2 joysticks. Electrically incompatible, however - you can't just use a single Atari joystick. Wico made a pair of joysticks and a converter box.

• 8 months later...

I have one of these, too. I got it in a box lot of Atari stuff on ebay a few years ago for stupid cheap. Here's the clearest pic I could find online of the Wico arcade stick that I think it is based on. I hope hotlinking is allowed.

003pgu.jpg

Notice all the hardware that resides under the top of the arcade machine that the stick would be mounted in. I think that's what's inside the stick you have. I would think selling those sticks as Atari sticks would have been pretty expensive so they revised the design to the cone top model that is much more common.

Does it use microswitches ala modern arcade joysticks or leaf switches like the common Wico bat sticks for our Ataris?

I prefer the microswtich joysticks such as my Epyx 500xj but I like the full sized stick form factor like the Wico bat sticks.

From the video above, it shows that it has leaf switches. I prefer them (matter of taste, I guess), and really dig the metal shaft as well. I Picked one of these up a while ago and dug it out this morning. Built like a tank, as far as such things go. Might have to find a way to stick it into my homemade Vectrex controller... I also assumed that it was some kind of ergonomic design, but am pleased to find that it's really essentially an arcade-quality joystick, made by the market leaders at the time for arcade parts. All in all, pretty cool!