IGNORED

Packet Radio on the Atari

On 11/23/2017 at 8:21 PM, AtariGeezer said:

Okay, finally got to it :) Needs Assembler / Editor to compile.

PK-2 TTL Packet Program by Steve Stuntz

Steve_Stuntz_PK2.atr 90.02 kB · 34 downloads

PK2.ASM 23.42 kB · 49 downloads

Pk2.xex 3.23 kB · 34 downloads

Requires a Packet Controller TNC set to TTL. connected to JoyPort #1...

Article and Interface located on this post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/178454-packet-radio-on-the-atari/?do=findComment&comment=3193853

So, did you ever get a chance to set everything up and test it?

4 hours ago, MrFish said:

So, did you ever get a chance to set everything up and test it?

Not yet, still need to make the cables between the 2m Radio and AEA PK-232, plus the cable from the Atari Joy Port and the AEA if it's different from the Kantronics TTL Port (which I already have)...

Edited by AtariGeezer

• 2 weeks later...

Me too :)

My leg is healing better now, doesn't look like I'll need skin graphs after all.

No, my mother had a stroke 6 weeks ago and it zapped a lot of her memory affecting her speech with the pronunciation of many words.

I've been helping her with speech therapy since then. We have a big list of words that we practice every day and every day we find new words that are difficult for her...

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually been looking at PK-232's lately. I had an opportunity to possible get one for a real good deal (it had some minor issues); but I fell asleep on the bid deadline. They do come up for reasonable, regularly; but I'm trying to sneak through the door cheap in this area of the hobby.

The PK-232's are pretty popular. Supposedly there is a model that followed the PK-232's that's like the end all of TNC's (I think the model name is something like PK-9, or similar), which nobody wants to sell, at least not for an affordable price.

How many TNC's do you own now?

On 1/7/2021 at 1:39 AM, MrFish said:

Big, yeah... but you've gotta love all those lights, and the meter and dial.

I guess part of the attraction, for some individuals, is that it can handle 2 radios too.

Yep, the thing I like about the PK-232 is that it has multi modes and yes all of those LED's are nice too :)

PK-9? are you thinking of the PK-900 or PK-96?  There is a new model of the PK-232 that has USB ports now.

My PK-232 is a Plain Jane... You should get a PK-232 MBX at minimum.

For TNC's with Packet I have the PK-232 and today the MFJ-1270B arrives. I also have a few PK-64's, one I plan on modding for the A8 :)

Other TNC's are the Kantronics The Interface (3) and The Interface II (2), plus a Kantronics UTU.  Might have something else boxed up that I've forgotten about :)

Have you bought any yet?

45 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

PK-9? are you thinking of the PK-900 or PK-96?

Yeah, it's the PK-900 I had in mind.

There is a new model of the PK-232 that has USB ports now.

Yeah, I guess there's another company that does AEA products now. 

My PK-232 is a Plain Jane... You should get a PK-232 MBX at minimum.

I was about to buy an MBX a week or so ago; but it was the first sale for the Ebay account that had it up; so, I was hesitant to pull the trigger. Decent price though -- about $60 shipped -- for a unit with all original manuals and some of the PC software. It sold a few days after I first viewed it.

What's the difference between the 232 and the 232MBX? I was trying to figure that out when I was considering buying the MBX I just mentioned, but I was having some trouble coming up with a simple answer.

Have you bought any yet?

Nope, at this point I'm back to looking at what's available.

Edited by MrFish

19 minutes ago, MrFish said:

What's the difference between the 232 and the 232MBX? I was trying to figure that out when I was considering buying the MBX I just mentioned, but I was having some trouble coming up with a simple answer.

The MBX has a Mail Box for incoming mail... Don't know if mine just needs updated firmware and a memory board add-on or what to upgrade it...

17 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

The MBX has a Mail Box for incoming mail...

Ah, MBX = Mailbox... ok.

17 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

Don't know if mine just needs updated firmware and a memory board add-on or what to upgrade it...

The company selling PK-232 (and other AEA hardware) is TimeWave.

They have some upgrade kits there for the PK-232's; and it looks like one is 232 -> 232MBX. Not many details about the upgrades on their website though. So, you'd probably have to contact them directly to know what's up.

Here's the USB model they make, btw. Costs $599.

PK232SC_Front_20x.thumb.jpg.ae25aa10044333125829be9e662040f0.jpg

PK232SC_back_20x.thumb.jpg.1a16290ecc33730b9065affa1fb1a2c4.jpg

• 3 months later...

I ended up getting a Kantronics KAM Plus (older version). Good features and good reviews.

I liked it because it's compact (about 9" x 6"), and still has enough blinkenlights and meters.

Won't have time to mess with it (except for some functional testing) until summer...

Got a good deal for this one off Ebay: boxed, mint, and complete (except for the two main manuals).

front.thumb.jpg.cdb9827cc6e987f8b44a4edf6b67aa9b.jpg

top.thumb.jpg.d3f021b5642d98fa01a6b01d694800b5.jpg

back.thumb.jpg.f4068565fbc90a3e6994e85a741283f7.jpg

Edited by MrFish

• 2 weeks later...

So did anyone hook their TNC up to their Atari? :) I was hoping to plug in either a KPC-3 or an MFJ-1275 via P:R:Connection and was looking around for software. Is a straight terminal my best bet, or might this PK2 program work, or maybe Amtor or Hamtext or something..

I don't suppose there are any programs that do KISS mode...

• Like 1