IGNORED

joystick or touchpad plugged detection

abaudrand

Hi, I wonder if its possible to detect if something is plugged into the joystick slot?

for example: If something in port1 then .... else ...

Silly question to ask but I'm curious :)

I ass-u-me that it is possible to detect keypads and paddles since they have pins connected by resistors. Not joysticks though. And I guess that Driving controllers could be deduced by what pins are connected to what...

I made a circuit using a keypad controller and a programmable microcontroller (I REALY need to finish it) to be used as a remote device for all the console switches. I programmed it to detect if a keypad controller was connected (12 options), and if not assume that a joystick was (5 options). I also will make it detect a track and field controller if left and right are pushed at the same time upon powerup, since that is not normally possible with a joystick.

Hi, I wonder if its possible to detect if something is plugged into the joystick slot?

I ass-u-me that it is possible to detect keypads and paddles since they have pins connected by resistors. Not joysticks though. And I guess that Driving controllers could be deduced by what pins are connected to what...

I made a circuit using a keypad controller and a programmable microcontroller (I REALY need to finish it) to be used as a remote device for all the console switches. I programmed it to detect if a keypad controller was connected (12 options), and if not assume that a joystick was (5 options). I also will make it detect a track and field controller if left and right are pushed at the same time upon powerup, since that is not normally possible with a joystick.

icon_lust.gif What a promising device!!! I'll order one if you go thru as I think the switches are really the weak points of all atari stuff ! It's perfect for the kind of game I'm making.

icon_lust.gif What a promising device!!! I'll order one if you go thru as I think the switches are really the weak points of all atari stuff ! It's perfect for the kind of game I'm making.

It was a great learning experience. At first I thought I could do it all in relays, then I realized that the 12 buttons are matrixed and have to be read 1 row (or column) at a time. I then changed my plan to a educational project. I always wanted an excuse to use one of those PICAXE chips. The circuit does work, but the reason I never fully finished it is I also got a LCD display that can be driven from the picaxe. I just can't think of a valid reason to add it to my Atari, other than using different characters to display Power,Controller connected, switch states... That is what I will probably do.

But to your original question, I am sure every thing except joystick can be detected, and joystick can be inferred if nothing else is detected.

I set pin 7 to high and check if both 5 and 9 go high to detect the keyboard controller. I used this diagram as the basis for my work. FWIW, I had a huge problem that was driving me nuts, it ended up being based on the fact that the diagram is all from the back of the controller. If you look, 5,9,6 are the columns, and 1,2,3,4 are the rows. 5,6 are both tied to 7 via resistor, so I made that ground. I needed to also tie 6 to ground for my circuit to work correctly.

I believe I found this schematic on AtariAge.

By looking at those schematics, it looks like paddes and keybord controllers would detect the same. And the steering fire button is the same as joystick.

What I plan on doing is detect the keyboard, and if not keyboard then check of both 3&4 are both connected to 8. If so, must be track and field, if not must be joystick (or nothing).

post-25375-1299872976_thumb.png

My lessons in electronics are a bit far away so I can only sit and wait for your project. I think if you can go thru it, it could become a hit as there are not so many new devices for the 2600 like the XM for the 7800.

I really think its a good idea to have a remote device that emulate all the switches of the 2600 or the 7800.

Good luck...